The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Like Nesca I have just started 1st year, (though at BCU) and found it really helpful sharing information during the application process on here. I'll try and look in regularly to answer any questions.
Good luck with your applications, I know what a nerve wracking experience it is.
Original post by fizzbomb
Hi, I'm hoping to get a place on the course at MMU, if you don't mind me asking, what grades/experience did you have?

Thanks!

Hi

I have just started my second year at MMU - I know nesca will respond to you but I know she is a "mature" student - not sure if you are too or if you are currently doing A levels, so thought I would chip in with my experience too to give a different perspective.

I applied whilst doing A levels - I did psychology sociology English lit/lang (combined) and RS. As a 17 year old applicant I had limited experience but did manage to attend a few SLT sessions and was able to talk at some length with the therapist. I read a lot too! Obviously so long as you meet the grades (ABB) then your actual grades don't matter but I personally got A*AAA.

The year I started MMU were very strict about grades - don't know if that was the case this year though.

My application experience is a little out of date but if I can help at all let me know,

Good luck
Hey, thanks for replying! How did you find the whole process - I believe it is a face to face interview at MMU? Where else did you apply?

I'm a 'mature' student, I've just finished my degree in linguistics and achieved a 2:1, as I don't meet the A level requirements, they have said my degree would compensate this.

I have worked supporting students with learning difficulties and disabilities at university and am due to start a new job working with adults who have autism, in an assisted living environment. I'm also a breastfeeding support volunteer and have managed to secure a 12 week shadowing placement on a programme which focuses on building communication skills in children.

I've been reading through the 2015 forum and was slightly intimidated by the experience others had, so it's reassuring to know that you still got an offer even though you didn't have much exp! :smile:

Really want to just get stuck into everything now so that I can write about it in my personal statement!

It was a written interview when I applied and I believe it was the same thing last year (though a slightly different format of questions). I also applied to UofM, Leeds and Sheffield. I also applied to two speech courses at MMU as they used to run a joint honours course with psychology (which is the course I am on).

Think a linguistics degree will exempt you from parts of the first year not sure about beyond that.

Your experience is good, don't think it's the amount it's about understanding the role and how you can relate your experience to it.

Where else will you apply? Are you also considering the postgrad route?
Hi, I'm hoping to get a place on the course at MMU, if you don't mind me asking, what grades/experience did you have?

Thanks!

Hi, well I studied an access course and got 42 credits at distinction and 18 credits at merit. My gcses were all a-c grades. What I have learnt from MMU is that they reject you straight away if you don't meet all the grade requirements... Unless obviously you're currently studying. I have had experience with children and adults with severe and mild learning difficulties, disabilities and mental health problems. I have also worked with stroke patients and shadowed a speech therapist on a throat and neck cancer ward in hospital. I have to say though, it's not about the amount of experience you've had its more what you have learnt from it and how you can apply it to the course. I hope this makes sense. Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 24
Hi everyone,

I'm starting SLT at UEA next year, but I'm not going through the application process as I'm lucky enough to have a deferred offer from my application that I completed this year. :biggrin: I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about personal statements, interviews, experience, results day etc as I have had a lot of experience with that this year. In my gap year, I'm working full time at my local gymnastics club where I work and train, so I'll be around most of the time to answer any questions! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at UEA next year! :biggrin:
Hiya,

I have to include some english language vocab into my personal statement, but I've already included some... how do I add it without it trying to act forced like I'm putting it in for the sake of putting it in because I want it to sound natural. Hoping to do Speech and Language Therapy at De Montfort Uni next year :biggrin:

Thanks x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by emilyjane_18
Hiya,

I have to include some english language vocab into my personal statement, but I've already included some... how do I add it without it trying to act forced like I'm putting it in for the sake of putting it in because I want it to sound natural. Hoping to do Speech and Language Therapy at De Montfort Uni next year :biggrin:

Thanks x

Hey!

Well, if you've been on any work experience, you can embellish what you've seen to include the English language element. For example, when I went on work experience, the boy I was observing had trouble with personal pronouns (he,she,they etc). If you include that sort of thing, it shows you understand English Language principles and you've understood the session you've observed.

Hope that helps!
Thank you x
Reply 28
Thank you x

You're welcome! Good luck with applying to DMU, they're lovely so I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you go!
Hiya,

Thanks x

Hey mate I'm a current DMU slt student, if you need any help hit me up!
Reply 30
Hey guys how did you guys gain work experience? Did you guys speak/arrange it by a receptionist of the centre/hospital?
Reply 31
I'm so bad at interviews, how did you guys deal with the process? How did you prepare?
Original post by H1998
I'm so bad at interviews, how did you guys deal with the process? How did you prepare?

Most interviews are not the usual face to face one on one style interview - most involve some element of a written section and maybe some small group/presentation activity - it could have changed slightly though as its 2 years since I applied. Which unis are you interested in?
Reply 33
Original post by H1998
Hey guys how did you guys gain work experience? Did you guys speak/arrange it by a receptionist of the centre/hospital?

That's one way you can do it. I also looked up local speech and language therapists and emailed them personally asking for experience. Or alternatively contact someone from your old school/college to see if they have SLTs that come in.

Hope that helps!
Reply 34
Original post by AmyPilot
Most interviews are not the usual face to face one on one style interview - most involve some element of a written section and maybe some small group/presentation activity - it could have changed slightly though as its 2 years since I applied. Which unis are you interested in?

The top on my list is City Uni(would love to go there) but also Reading, DMU and MMU or UoM. any tips on personal statements/ucas application, even though i have heard that the interview is where most of the deciding is done.
Reply 35
What are the difference between the two courses at City Uni of human communication and speech and language therapy language? other that one is a qualifying undergraduate degree to become a speech and therapist.
Original post by H1998
The top on my list is City Uni(would love to go there) but also Reading, DMU and MMU or UoM. any tips on personal statements/ucas application, even though i have heard that the interview is where most of the deciding is done.

I only applied to the Manchester unis from your selection. I know City didn't used to interview but have a feeling that they may be changing that and Reading used to send out an additional questionnaire to complete rather than holding actual interviews - again not sure if this has changed.

The most important thing is to make sure you meet the essential criteria such as GCSE grades etc as without those you wont get through the first sifting. The only advice I have for UCAS is patience - its a really long selection process interviews usually start around Nov time and I was still waiting for replies from one of my choices in March!

Good luck
Original post by H1998
What are the difference between the two courses at City Uni of human communication and speech and language therapy language? other that one is a qualifying undergraduate degree to become a speech and therapist.

You say that as if it were a trivial thing! The clinical modules make up a large part of most degrees. If you did the other degree then you would probably have to select electives from outside of the school to make up your points.
Reply 38
Sorry it was the way i had worded it, presented one of the courses as unimportant. But, thank you, that makes sense because i had got confused about the differentiation between the courses as they cover similar topics.
Original post by H1998
Sorry it was the way i had worded it, presented one of the courses as unimportant. But, thank you, that makes sense because i had got confused about the differentiation between the courses as they cover similar topics.

Yeah you will probably cover the same theory as the SLTs - anatomy, linguistics, phonetics, physiology, psychology - but just not apply it to clients or learn any of the therapy related material. Universities used to offer these courses to people who failed the clinical modules but they seem to be offered more and more as a standalone degrees for those who do not get onto SLT in the first place, and presumably want to go for postgraduate entry (same happens with biomedical sciences and medicine), or those who are interested in the area but do not want to work clinically (e.g. interested in research, teaching).

Quick Reply

Latest