The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,
So glad this thread has started! Nice to meet you guys. It's crazy how time has flown, from deciding that I wanted to be a SLT, to almost applying for uni.
Just wondering if you guys have sent off your applications? Also do any of you take a BTEC, as everytime I see an SLT applicant they take all A Levels. I hope taking a BTEC won't affect offers... 😅
Original post by H1998
Hey guys how did you guys gain work experience? Did you guys speak/arrange it by a receptionist of the centre/hospital?

My college told me to speak to a guy called Allen Edwards! So I emailed him (twice because he didn't respond the first time!) and finally got an email back to say he was speaking to the SLT about arranging a placement. My closest hospital to my college (Shrewsbury Hospital) also had an available SLT to speak to so I took maters into my own hands and contacted the woman myself but she said due to low staffing I was unable to do work experience there :frown: so I'm going to try and get a placement at a hospital closer to my home.

Good Luck though!! x
Original post by JordanC55
It's so cool this is this post is alive! Yeah I'm going dmu this year, if anyone is considering going there hit me up and I'll try to help

I'm hoping to get into DMU, I'll be looking around their Uni this weekend!!! Really like the look of it and I'm really excited :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by chingling
Hiya,
So glad this thread has started! Nice to meet you guys. It's crazy how time has flown, from deciding that I wanted to be a SLT, to almost applying for uni.
Just wondering if you guys have sent off your applications? Also do any of you take a BTEC, as everytime I see an SLT applicant they take all A Levels. I hope taking a BTEC won't affect offers... 😅

I have sent off my application, but it isn't a first come first serve basis so i wouldnt worry (as long as it is within the deadlines!) What's your BTEC and your other A levels?
What do you like about SLT? What made you choose it?
Reply 45
Hi again everyone, I've been reading through the thread and saw the questions about gaining work experience. Something I did was search on my local councils website for speech and language therapy services and there was a list there with a contact number (sometimes haha!)

Also it may be a good idea to get in touch with any stroke recovery groups, charities like Alzheimer's Society etc and check if they need volunteers in your area. This is a great way to gain experience related to SALT but not directly with therapists. However, you may then get links to speech and language therapists and branch out. Another idea is gaining work experience in primary schools that may have speech and language therapy resources or therapists who drop in (if you're lucky you could go at a time when they're expected and ask them for their contact details). It is a good idea to gain a wide variety of experience. If you can't get work experience in a hospital/clinic setting then don't panic!! It is hard to find and your uni offer won't be based on whether you have work experience or not.

I hope that helps anyone wondering about work experience. If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tcrj
I have sent off my application, but it isn't a first come first serve basis so i wouldnt worry (as long as it is within the deadlines!) What's your BTEC and your other A levels?

Ooh, where are you applying? I'm planning to send mine off next week, before all the A2 workload really starts kicking in! I'm taking Health and Social Care BTEC SubDip and English Language and Psychology at A2.
Reply 47
Original post by nesca89
Hello everyone, I have just started 1st year speech Pathology undergraduate degree at MMU. I lived on this site through my application process and it really supported me. So thought it would be useful for me to offer the same support to everyone who is going through that stressful process of applying for the course. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need advice on anything, sorry if I don't get back to you straight away as I'm a little busy with assignments already! :smile:

Hi, this is my second time around applying for speech and language therapy. How is the course? I want to be sure this is what I really want to do.
gscott10's advice is quite good. Your local council website should have a list of all the schools in the area (they should list private schools too [e.g. near me there is a local private school dedicated to dyslexia which has a SLT working there two days a week]). See if they have a list of special schools and check these individually to see whether they list contact details of a speech and language therapist (SLT). It depends on the schools but it is likely that the SLT will be employed by the local authority and go to multiple schools throughout the area over the week, or they could be in private practice and only work in a certain number of local schools on set days or when they are needed. If schools work with children who are very complex then it is possible that they might have a full-time SLT posted there. The same applies to mainstream schools though that is more to do with the increased population size they are expected to cover/handle (I would not count on meeting a SLT in a mainstream school).

Alternatively lots of pediatric services allow self-referral now so there will be contact details listed on local NHS websites. I would always advise ringing in this case as an email might be read but easily ignored if someone is busy. In addition, understand the pressure on services at the moment and be careful how you ask for things. I would ask to talk to someone or visit their 'facility' for a look around first rather than asking for work experience outright. In lots of cases if you ask for work experience they will just say no outright. If they are happy to let you come visit them and chat but give you very specific times when you are free then you can sort of guess that they will say no to work experience but you can still ask in person or ask them for advice about who else might have more time to work with you.

There are always opportunities to volunteer with adults. But it depends on whether they are looking for anyone in your area and when they training programmes run. The good thing about this is that they will usually cover expenses.
Reply 49
Ooh, where are you applying? I'm planning to send mine off next week, before all the A2 workload really starts kicking in! I'm taking Health and Social Care BTEC SubDip and English Language and Psychology at A2.

I'm applying to Cardiff Met, London City, St Marks and St Jons and Reading. Those all seem like really good subjects and the BTEC does link to Speech therapy, so i think you will be fine :smile: Where are you applying?
Original post by Layli
Hi, this is my second time around applying for speech and language therapy. How is the course? I want to be sure this is what I really want to do.

Hey, I absolutely love the course and it was the best decision I've ever made to start it. It is however, like everyone warned me, very stressful and full on. But it will definitely be worth it in the end. I live the university I'm at too, they are extremely supportive and the building we are based at is really modern and comfortable :smile: good luck with your application if you decide to go for it! :smile:
Original post by tcrj
I'm applying to Cardiff Met, London City, St Marks and St Jons and Reading. Those all seem like really good subjects and the BTEC does link to Speech therapy, so i think you will be fine :smile: Where are you applying?

I'm definitely applying to University of Manchester, City, UEA and still undecided between two of Reading, Birmingham City or Manchester Met. Thank you, hopefully..:u: we can do this!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jo-sie
Hi, I'm planning to apply for a 2016 start too. I'm a very mature student and trying to work things out re. Childcare which is a bit of a headache with no grandparents on hand to help.

I've read a few things on here which seem to suggest it's possible to apply early. Is that something anyone else is planning to do?

Hi, how are you managing childcare? I need tips ???
Original post by saraw26
Best of luck for those applying this year - I can't believe this was me 2 years ago! I'm in my 2nd year at BCU, if anyone wants to ask any questions. I also applied to Newcastle and MMU which I received offers from, and Sheffield and DMU which I got offers for alternative courses (Human Communication and Audiology).

Best of luck, all! :biggrin:
Hi, how was the interview like at BCU? What is it a written or an oral interview? What were the questions like???
I'm definitely applying to University of Manchester, City, UEA and still undecided between two of Reading, Birmingham City or Manchester Met. Thank you, hopefully..:u: we can do this!

I am in my second year at MMU if you have any questions - I was also offered a place at Uni of Manchester. Can't help with your other choices as I didn't apply for them (I did Leeds and Sheffield).
Reply 55
Original post by tcrj
Hi all!
I have been following the 2015 thread and thought it was time to start the 2016 for this years applicants as i haven't managed to find one.
I personally applied for SLT for 2015, but choose to take a gap year so i am reapplying this year. So far i am applying to Reading, Cardiff Met and St Marks and St Jon's.
I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications this year :smile:

I'm applying to Reading and Cardiff Met too! Have you been to see St Mark and St Johns because I haven't yet! :smile:
Reply 56
Fatiiimah, to be perfectly honest it is a nightmare!

But on the plus side....For a start I'm planning to study part time so that reduces it to two days a week and they have been kind enough to tell me which two days it will be in years one and two. My husband is going request flexible working so he can finish early one of the days, the other day, if the lectures go on past 5pm in just going to have to look for some ad hoc childminding when I know the time table or miss the lecture.

The best flexible option would be a nanny but the cost is prohibitive and I can't use my 15 free hours either. Plus, the timetable changes every week so it means paying a lot for childcare that you don't need. I really wish I'd known what I wanted to do before children!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jo-sie
Fatiiimah, to be perfectly honest it is a nightmare!

But on the plus side....For a start I'm planning to study part time so that reduces it to two days a week and they have been kind enough to tell me which two days it will be in years one and two. My husband is going request flexible working so he can finish early one of the days, the other day, if the lectures go on past 5pm in just going to have to look for some ad hoc childminding when I know the time table or miss the lecture.

The best flexible option would be a nanny but the cost is prohibitive and I can't use my 15 free hours either. Plus, the timetable changes every week so it means paying a lot for childcare that you don't need. I really wish I'd known what I wanted to do before children!!

I'm guessing you are applying to BCU? I have just started at BCU and just to let you know that there are some sessions which do go on after 5.00 On a Thursday, (depending on which group we are allocated to) we have a few sessions which go on to 6.00 and even as late as 6.30, though it may be different next year as it depends on room availability. Another thing to let you know is that each week is different, so it may be an early finish one week and a late finish the next. We did receive the terms timetable at the start of term so that should help with planning.
Everyone at BCU is very friendly and approachable so I am sure if you have any queries they will be very helpful.
Also to help with planning, induction week is the week before the official start day and even the part timers were in for 4 days that week, though Wednesday was free.
Good luck with your application and let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Original post by Fatiiiimah
Hi, how are you managing childcare? I need tips ???

Jo-sie re applying early, I applied in September to BCU last year and heard about my interview date in late November. I think the first interview date last year was 3rd December and there were regular interviews up to at least March.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by shropshirelass51
Jo-sie re applying early, I applied in September to BCU last year and heard about my interview date in late November. I think the first interview date last year was 3rd December and there were regular interviews up to at least March.

Thanks for the info Shropshirelass, I would apply now but I just want to get a bit more experience. I've lined up some voluntary work to start in November when my youngest can go to nursery one day a week, can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest