The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Hi all!
I have been following the 2015 thread and thought it was time to start the 2016 for this years applicants as i haven't managed to find one.
I personally applied for SLT for 2015, but choose to take a gap year so i am reapplying this year. So far i am applying to Reading, Cardiff Met and St Marks and St Jon's.
I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm planning to apply for a 2016 start too. I'm a very mature student and trying to work things out re. Childcare which is a bit of a headache with no grandparents on hand to help.

I've read a few things on here which seem to suggest it's possible to apply early. Is that something anyone else is planning to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Jo-sie
Hi, I'm planning to apply for a 2016 start too. I'm a very mature student and trying to work things out re. Childcare which is a bit of a headache with no grandparents on hand to help.

I've read a few things on here which seem to suggest it's possible to apply early. Is that something anyone else is planning to do?

You can submit an application now if you want but universities will have to wait until they have a large enough pool of applicants to interview. Usually the earliest interviews are at the beginning of December.

How old are your children?
Original post by tcrj
Hi all!
I have been following the 2015 thread and thought it was time to start the 2016 for this years applicants as i haven't managed to find one.
I personally applied for SLT for 2015, but choose to take a gap year so i am reapplying this year. So far i am applying to Reading, Cardiff Met and St Marks and St Jon's.

Good to see a new thread! Can't believe its the third one I have followed since I applied in 2014.

Just wanted to wish everyone lots of luck - as you already know after going through this last year, its a long road ahead.

I am at MMU if anyone has any questions.

Once again GOOD LUCK one and all :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the info, the girls are 8, 7, 5 and nearly 2.... Not sure if I'm a bit mad considering retraining with lots of small children but I'm already 42 so don't really want to leave it too long!
Original post by tcrj
Hi all!

It's so cool this is this post is alive! Yeah I'm going dmu this year, if anyone is considering going there hit me up and I'll try to help
Reply 6
Original post by Jo-sie
Thanks for the info, the girls are 8, 7, 5 and nearly 2.... Not sure if I'm a bit mad considering retraining with lots of small children but I'm already 42 so don't really want to leave it too long!

There was a 44-year-old woman with two children around the same age as your two eldest in my cohort it that makes you feel any better. You can only but give it a go!
Reply 7
Original post by JordanC55
It's so cool this is this post is alive! Yeah I'm going dmu this year, if anyone is considering going there hit me up and I'll try to help

I agree, Jordan - although I must admit, it is a bit weird!!

I'm about to start my first year at Marjon, so feel free to ask any general SLT/specific uni questions, and I'll try and help (although I might not be the greatest help with the specifics until a few months into the course!!) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tcrj
Hi all!

Best of luck for those applying this year - I can't believe this was me 2 years ago! I'm in my 2nd year at BCU, if anyone wants to ask any questions. I also applied to Newcastle and MMU which I received offers from, and Sheffield and DMU which I got offers for alternative courses (Human Communication and Audiology).

Best of luck, all! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Good luck everyone! I'm just going into first year of MMU!
Hope everything goes well for you all, I'll answer any questions as best I can! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhimair
I agree, Jordan - although I must admit, it is a bit weird!!

I'm about to start my first year at Marjon, so feel free to ask any general SLT/specific uni questions, and I'll try and help (although I might not be the greatest help with the specifics until a few months into the course!!) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is really weird isn't it! It'll be so cool when the actual 2016 students post and watch their process? It'd be weird reading over the old thread haha!
Reply 11
Hi everyone, it's so great to see a 2016 discussion already! I'm in my second year at the University of Manchester so if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by saraw26
Best of luck for those applying this year - I can't believe this was me 2 years ago! I'm in my 2nd year at BCU, if anyone wants to ask any questions. I also applied to Newcastle and MMU which I received offers from, and Sheffield and DMU which I got offers for alternative courses (Human Communication and Audiology).

Best of luck, all! :biggrin:

Hi,
What was the interview like at BCU and did you do any work experience relating to SLT?
Reply 13
Original post by maimr
Hi,
What was the interview like at BCU and did you do any work experience relating to SLT?

I had an interview at BCU and was successfully offered a place. The interview was actually fairly easy! It was a written interview with 6 questions to answer in, I think, 30 minutes - although could have been longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maimr
Hi,

Original post by Higlet
I had an interview at BCU and was successfully offered a place. The interview was actually fairly easy! It was a written interview with 6 questions to answer in, I think, 30 minutes - although could have been longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was fair, yeah. But as I said on another post, they interview hundreds (and I mean, hundreds!) of people for 60, so make sure you make yourself stand out :smile:

I had a good amount of experience before, yeah, so that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I'm going into first year at University of Manchester this year so give me a shout if you have any questions.

I got in through Clearing and did a 45-minute written interview before being told I'd been successful. As far as I know they're changing it to a face to face one from next year though.

Lizzie
Reply 16
Original post by lizziegreen25
Hi all,

I'm going into first year at University of Manchester this year so give me a shout if you have any questions.

I got in through Clearing and did a 45-minute written interview before being told I'd been successful. As far as I know they're changing it to a face to face one from next year though.

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie, I'm in my second year at Manchester so I'll probably see you tomorrow at the peer mentor session :smile: I didn't know they were changing it to a face to face interview, that will be very different to my interview. Sounds like your process was the same as mine!

Good luck with your first week!
Original post by gscott10
Hi Lizzie, I'm in my second year at Manchester so I'll probably see you tomorrow at the peer mentor session :smile: I didn't know they were changing it to a face to face interview, that will be very different to my interview. Sounds like your process was the same as mine!

Good luck with your first week!

Hiya,

Oh nice :smile: Yeah I got told that either at a half-day SLT awareness course or somehow through Manchester's Open Day maybe? Can't remember. They're also changing it to a three-year course from 2017 onwards to bring it in line with those offered by other unis. I did the written interview though yeah, was pretty tough so pleased and surprised I got through it :smile:
Hello everyone, I have just started 1st year speech Pathology undergraduate degree at MMU. I lived on this site through my application process and it really supported me. So thought it would be useful for me to offer the same support to everyone who is going through that stressful process of applying for the course. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need advice on anything, sorry if I don't get back to you straight away as I'm a little busy with assignments already! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by nesca89
Hello everyone, I have just started 1st year speech Pathology undergraduate degree at MMU. I lived on this site through my application process and it really supported me. So thought it would be useful for me to offer the same support to everyone who is going through that stressful process of applying for the course. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need advice on anything, sorry if I don't get back to you straight away as I'm a little busy with assignments already! :smile:

Hi, I'm hoping to get a place on the course at MMU, if you don't mind me asking, what grades/experience did you have?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest