The Student Room Group

B to A* at A2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hydeman
No. The conditions for an A* are as follows: you need 80 percent across the whole A-level (AS + A2) and 90 percent across just the A2 modules.

You could get an A* even if you had 70 percent in physics. It's mathematically possible to get an A* even with 60 percent. :tongue: Here's how it works:

1. (70 percent at AS + 90 percent at A2)/2 = 80 percent average, 90 percent at A2. Grade: A*.
2. (60 percent at AS + 100 percent at A2)/2 = 80 percent average, 90+ percent at A2. Grade: A*.

You may want to resit to increase your chances of getting an A just in case you muck up your A2 exams but from a mathematical standpoint, there's no reason that you can't get an A* with only 75 percent at AS.

Would it be worth retaking any units for me? I got a D in my biology coursework though still thankfully came out with an A.
Original post by Year11guy
Would it be worth retaking any units for me? I got a D in my biology coursework though still thankfully came out with an A.

That's more of a personal decision. Just bear in mind that A2 is harder than AS. If you feel that you need extra peace of mind by upping your AS marks, go for it. But also remember that there're no January exams anymore so you don't want to make too large of a burden for yourself in May/June.
Reply 22
Original post by Hydeman
That's more of a personal decision. Just bear in mind that A2 is harder than AS. If you feel that you need extra peace of mind by upping your AS marks, go for it. But also remember that there're no January exams anymore so you don't want to make too large of a burden for yourself in May/June.

If I were aiming for an A*, I wouldn't need to retake as the 90% would push it up but for an A, I would have to retake if you know what I mean? Assuming I'm certain I'll get A* (though I'm not).
Original post by Year11guy
If I were aiming for an A*, I wouldn't need to retake as the 90% would push it up but for an A, I would have to retake if you know what I mean? Assuming I'm certain I'll get A* (though I'm not).

Yes, that's what I meant by 'peace of mind.' A good AS performance can be a lifesaver if your A2 exams don't go as well as you would like. Just bear in mind that all your exams are now in May/June so make sure to start revision a few months before that so you don't get spread too thinly when it comes to the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest