The Student Room Group

Are there many students at university that don't drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustGeorgeJ
The OP was going out drinking, at least that's what I took from his post.
I suggested that he doesn't have to go out if he doesn't want too to drinking events.

I was then suggesting that there is still plenty of social events during Freshers, e.g. day time events run by the SU and university that he can attend that won't include drinking.

Unless he doesn't want to go out all together?

I can see that it wasn't clear that I meant that.

I don't think its helpful to categorise events into "drinking events" and "non-drinking events".

You can go to the pub and not drink. You can go to the bowling alley and get plastered on jugs of fosters.

I don't see why someone drinking a pint of beer is considered so different from someone drinking a pint of coke that the two people cannot be conceived of as coexisting at the same social event.
Original post by Moonstruck16
I remember a pretty much identical thread from the freshers' season last year and I'm pretty sure you wrote the exact same 'advice' you're writing in this thread 😂 Hoping to see your inspirational posts this time next year, too :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think back as to all the nervous students whose minds I have put at ease over the years, its truly inspirational, isn't it?
Original post by cole-slaw
If you think back as to all the nervous students whose minds I have put at ease over the years, its truly inspirational, isn't it?

How old are you?

Umm yeah, 'put at ease'... :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TwinnyP
How old are you?

I've got 2 degrees and a PhD, put it like that.
Reply 25
That's called being a Muslim.
Original post by Evening
That's called being a Muslim.

Post number 26 and somebody brings up Islam. Must be a new record.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't particularly like the taste of alcohol but I only drink on nights out for the social aspect.
True, I hadn't considered that.

I am genuinely curious how you think OP will be able to have conversation and sex without going out of his flat in the evenings. Unless you think his flatmates are going to stay in and have sex with him out of pity.

Is everyone you've ever met at uni somebody you met on a night out or live with? It's easy to meet new people... Clubs, societies, classes...

do you regret doing a phd?
Original post by EloiseStar
Is everyone you've ever met at uni somebody you met on a night out or live with? It's easy to meet new people... Clubs, societies, classes...

You join a sports club, and what's the first thing that happens after every game or practice? You go to the pub.
You join a society, and what's the first thing that happens after every meeting? You go to the pub.
You talk to the people in your class, and what's the first thing that happens after every lecture? You go to the pub.

So yes, every single person you meet at uni, you get know in the pub. There's not much point joining a sports club or society if you're not going to go to the pub as well as the practice.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
do you regret doing a phd?

Not at all, it was great fun and it got be a great job. Are you thinking of doing one?
You join a sports club, and what's the first thing that happens after every game or practice? You go to the pub.
You join a society, and what's the first thing that happens after every meeting? You go to the pub.
You talk to the people in your class, and what's the first thing that happens after every lecture? You go to the pub.

So yes, every single person you meet at uni, you get know in the pub. There's not much point joining a sports club or society if you're not going to go to the pub as well as the practice.

This is relatively true OP but the good thing is that you don't have to drink alcohol at pubs. The setting itself is just really nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all, it was great fun and it got be a great job. Are you thinking of doing one?

ah. its just ive seen people whove done them..and it seems to be a lot of effort for potentially little gain..

I am thinking about it all the same..keeping my options open. my job you doing now mind me asking?
Why wouldn't you enjoy nights out? Don't you like interesting conversations...?

How do you have 'interesting conversations' during nights out?...I assume that you're referring to clubbing, with the deafening 'music' since you later mention 'sex with hot girls'. Speaking of which, I think you should omit the 'hot' part and just leave it at 'sex with girls', what with the notorious 'beer goggles'.
(edited 8 years ago)
its not the norm but shure its some people that dont drink
Original post by RamocitoMorales
How do you have 'interesting conversations' during nights out?...I assume that you're referring to clubbing, with the deafening 'music' (since you later mention 'sex with hot girls':wink:. :curious:

Nights out don't necessarily involve clubbing, they might just be sitting around in a pub or a bar, shooting some pool, having a chat with your mates, chatting to some strangers, making new friends.

Clubbing is like an optional add on at the end of the night if you've met a girl you want to smash but you can't just say "wanna come back to mine and smash", so you need a place to go for an hour to allow things to progress in a timely manner.
Original post by Moonstruck16
This is relatively true OP but the good thing is that you don't have to drink alcohol at pubs. The setting itself is just really nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. Just because you don't want to drink alcohol doesn't mean you can't still join in with the fun.

Most "going out drinking" is just few a pints, a chat and a laugh with your mates, and then home to bed. Its only on special occasions that people actively try to get drunk.

So you are atleast 28?
Original post by TwinnyP
So you are atleast 28?

yeah. I've been involved with 8 freshers weeks to varying extents at a variety of different universities, so I know a lot about what goes on. Hence I'm able to give better information than the majority of users.

Quick Reply

Latest