The Student Room Group

Humanities and Social Science Access to HE course

Hello
I'm 18 years old and am going to be doing an access course because I haven't had a normal college experience (been in hospital more than I've been at college). I originally planned to do the teaching access course but my college offers it with biology and psychology modules and I hate biology more than anything so the Access advisor recommended the humanities and social science course for me as I can still go on to be a teacher after this course. It had literature as the mandatory module and now I have to decide between doing sociology or psychology as the other module.

I did psychology AS and failed it (exams really aren't my strong point) and I have done a couple of months a sociology AS before going into hospital and I found it okay but then again I thought I was "okay" at psychology. So I really don't know what to do.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this course?

thanks
Courtney
Hi, I'm doing this course also this year. I think each college dos it's own syllabus but I imagine it wont be a million miles away from a level content.
There are a couple of old books about access to social science that your library might have but how relevant they are now I dont know.
I did access to teaching where I had to do psychology, English (Lang. and Lit) and education. In access I think psychology is more about critical evaluation. It's quite different to A-levels. We did a unit on nature vs nurture, attachment theory, non verbal communication, cognitive development and one other I can't remember.
Saying that I would've enjoyed either anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
I decided to choose psychology over sociology as this course isn't exam based (which is what I struggled with the most), so I think it'll be okay. Thanks for your responses.
Hi I'm 18 and currently doing the access course in social science and law (psychology ,sociology,law) I completed two assignments( each worth 3 credits) and just finished my law exam today. How you finding it so far? Have you applied to any unis?
Original post by gilberta
Hi I'm 18 and currently doing the access course in social science and law (psychology ,sociology,law) I completed two assignments( each worth 3 credits) and just finished my law exam today. How you finding it so far? Have you applied to any unis?

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I feel like the constant assignments are keeping me focused and preparing me for university better than a levels would. I've completed a lot of assignments but they all count towards one unit which is worth a certain amount of credits, but so far I'm getting distinctions in everything I've had marked.

I have applied to 5 universities to do English Language and Linguistics (some call it English Language and Communication). I have had 3 conditional offers:
Anglia Ruskin Cambridge: Pass overall in access course.
Canterbury Christ Church: 45 credits, 3 being at merit level and the rest at pass
Hertfordshire: I can't actually remember. I believe it was an average of 45 merits.
And the other two I applied to are:
Kent: they have asked me to send 2 samples of work
Kings College: haven't heard from them yet

I was very nervous as people on my course had to go for interviews before even being considered for an offer, but luckily the three offers I've had so far I was given without doing anything other than sending my application :smile:

Have you applied? How are you finding the access course? I would say that what I'm fixing most difficult is distinguishing the difference between merit and distinction. I am getting distinctions but I don't really know why or what I have included that makes it a distinction rather than a merit. Obviously it's a good thing but I'm curious haha :smile:
Original post by Courtneyosbornex
I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I feel like the constant assignments are keeping me focused and preparing me for university better than a levels would. I've completed a lot of assignments but they all count towards one unit which is worth a certain amount of credits, but so far I'm getting distinctions in everything I've had marked.

I have applied to 5 universities to do English Language and Linguistics (some call it English Language and Communication). I have had 3 conditional offers:
Anglia Ruskin Cambridge: Pass overall in access course.
Canterbury Christ Church: 45 credits, 3 being at merit level and the rest at pass
Hertfordshire: I can't actually remember. I believe it was an average of 45 merits.
And the other two I applied to are:
Kent: they have asked me to send 2 samples of work
Kings College: haven't heard from them yet

I was very nervous as people on my course had to go for interviews before even being considered for an offer, but luckily the three offers I've had so far I was given without doing anything other than sending my application :smile:

Have you applied? How are you finding the access course? I would say that what I'm fixing most difficult is distinguishing the difference between merit and distinction. I am getting distinctions but I don't really know why or what I have included that makes it a distinction rather than a merit. Obviously it's a good thing but I'm curious haha :smile:

I'm definitely finding the access course way better than doing a levels. I quite enjoy doing assignments after each unit rather than exams since it feels less stressful. The only thing I don't like is my tutor she is just not useful at all. Plus she is leaving next week for a better job and I feel like that's the reason she never bothered with us 😔 But I know what you mean with distinguishing between merit and distinction. In an assignment were I thought I would get a merit I got a distinction and in the assignment I though I would get a pas I got a merit. I follow the guidelines but they are just too similar. I'm sending off my application next week to study psychology. My options are reading, Kent,Middlesex and Brunel. I think all are asking for 30merits and 15distinctions. Hopefully I'll get into Kent.

Oh by the way I was basically in a bit of te same situation as you. I left secondary in summer 2013 and only actually attempted as level last year but because of personal issues and stress basically failed first year. So I'm really happy that I was able to do the access course to still get into uni by September 2016 🎉😊
Regarding the distinction (no pun intended!) between a merit and a distinction, I think it usually boils down to the quality of your evaluation. If you ask nicely and don't get too emotional about it, you may find that your tutors are willing to go through their written feedback with you.

On a practical level, I'd simply suggest working as hard as you can at each assignment - i.e. try for a distinction on each one. It may mean that you're shooting for better results than your unis are asking for, but (a) being 'over-qualified' may help seal the deal for offers (they may have plenty of applicants who meet the minimum ask), (b) it could put you in a position to get an academic scholarship (e.g. Access candidates are eligible for Kent's scheme), and (c) it's going to help you get up to the level you need to be at at uni to secure the higher marks in subsequent years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending