The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
What subject? Generally, unless it's for something like medicine, I think interviews tend to be very informal and more of a chance for you to ask questions than anything else. The interviewers will have noticed that you were nervous and should have made allowances for that as well. If the rest of your application is strong, all is not lost!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick reply Kelly. I've applied for Childhood and Youth studies. I'm a mature student, so it's standard procedure to interview before offering a place.

The interview was awful, I was so nervous I could barely speak. I'm just trying to figure out how detrimental this is going to be to my application.
Reply 3
You may be pleasantly surprised. I doubt anyone comes away from an interview full of confidence. I would also hope that interviewers take nerves into account. I am also a mature student. Luckily I did not have to go through the interview process, since I am typically poor at interviews as well.

Please let us know how your application progresses.
Reply 4
Thanks Sweepster. Hope you're right.
Do you mind me asking how old you are, and how are you finding it being a mature student at Exeter?
Reply 5
MiaWallace
Thanks Sweepster. Hope you're right.
Do you mind me asking how old you are, and how are you finding it being a mature student at Exeter?

I am... twentysomething. :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

I am actually 29. It took me quite a while longer than the others to settle in, but I think that was my own personality, rather than my age.

Other students in my halls of residence were keen to be friends from the start, which is good. Although I now have closer friends, I still feel I could have done worse with regards to others in the block. You may be given the same floor as other mature students as I was, but although I get along with them, I have not really become close to them.

Freshers week, or 'welcome week' as the University calls it, is important. Try to attend a few events and join a couple of societies - although do not sign up to everything. That really helped me settle in. Having said that, most of the people I met that week I no longer have any contact with!

In all honesty, it has taken until only a few weeks ago to establish a circle of friends with similar interests. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I find they all do the same courses as me, or at least a couple of modules. It was even more reassuring to find that many of them had the same concerns and enthusiasms as me about the University - and that always makes me feel less of an island.

Another thing: I am finding the work much more difficult than I expected. My results have been quite varied so far, but I have been told by my personal tutor to expect that because the politics programme is quite varied.

And yes, I am missing my parents, my sister (and her newborn) and the cat as well. :redface:
Reply 6
Ooh I didn't know you did Politics! Me too! Woohoo for Politics. I'm also finding it quite difficult, my results havent been too great but I'm hoping I'll do better with the next lot :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the insight Sweepster. If by some miracle I'm offered a place, I won't be moving to Exeter. It's only half hour train journey from where I live, so I will be commuting. Don't know if that will make it easier or more difficult to settle in.

I will be 28 by the time the academic year starts, so it's been informative to hear from someone of a similar age. Thanks
Reply 8
Yay!!! I've been offered a place. Am a bit worried though that it hasn't shown up on UCAS yet (I was told over the phone)
Congrats :biggrin: Don't worry about it not being on Track yet, sometimes that takes ages.
Reply 10
Thanks Kelly. Wow can't belive how excited I am. Think I need to go and get drunk!
Reply 11
MiaWallace
Yay!!! I've been offered a place. Am a bit worried though that it hasn't shown up on UCAS yet (I was told over the phone)

This is fantastic news. I knew you would be fine. Universities like mature students as it is assumed that we work hard and do not spend every hour of every day at parties (only evenings :wink: ). Good luck - obviously you did not 'go to pieces' in your interview like you thought. :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks Sweepster. Maybe I should have a bit more faith in myself.

Exeter here I come! Yay!
Reply 13
Congrats, it is a lovely place :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks Angelil, I can't wait. Wish it would show on track though. It still hasn't updated.
Reply 15
don't worry mate, mine isn't on ucas either and they told me I'd got in my post like a month ago...Well done :-)
Reply 16
Thanks Concure. I wouldn't be so worried if I had something in writing, but I was told over the phone.
Reply 17
You'll be fine, they wouldn't have told you on the phone if you hadn't been accepted! If it's bothering you though, just give them a call and say you don't have anything in writing, and that you'd just like to confirm your application has been succesfull.
Reply 18
Now confirmed on Track. Yay!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending