The Student Room Group

Over population and your personal responsibility.

Scroll to see replies

Decriminalise homosexuality for one.
Original post by lizmoo0721
No, The earth is overpopulated! THERE ARE TOO MANY HUMANS.

How did you work that out?
Reply 62
Original post by viddy9
In theory, I think a two-child policy would be beneficial, but I'm not sure about the idea that Earth is, or is becoming, overpopulated in terms of the amount of land or resources available. Increasing the number of people in the world may be bad for other reasons, which I'll explain below.

At the moment, I have no plans to have children. I don't believe that there's an ethical obligation to have children (unlike some moral philosophers, who believe that increasing the number of happy people in the world is obligatory), and doing so would increase my impact on the environment, which would negatively affect both human and nonhuman animals, and there's also a chance that my child may wish to eat animal products at some point, which, again, would increase the amount of suffering in the world.

Would we accept 7 billion + animals of a particular species? It's either that, or we are not distributing everything fairly.

....I...agree.
Reply 63
There is no overpopulation, you lot always talking about population are extremely ignorant.

I won't bother wasting my time explaining why.
Original post by Rakas21
The Earth itself is not overpopulated and indeed with a global birth rate of 2.6 (i think), output of key resources like food actually increases faster than the population globally. If you look at fertility rates by region then actually only Africa has a fertility rate above 3.

The problem in todays world is not production but rather the distribution of land and capital.

So in answer to your question, i'll be having 3 children.

How is it possible that a birthrate of greater than 2 could be indefinitely sustainable? Food production can't increase indefinitely, and it's basic common sense that housing can't increase indefinitely.
Original post by NHM713
Then why don't we use space efficiently?

Because people eat animals.
Original post by NHM713
How dare you, I'm an Arts graduate.

Well, there's your problem. :tongue:
Original post by Infraspecies
Well I chose to be gay, so I've done my part.

Good on you.
To do what kill thyself?

lol because I doubt the people who're aimlessly having children are gonna see this.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
How is it possible that a birthrate of greater than 2 could be indefinitely sustainable? Food production can't increase indefinitely, and it's basic common sense that housing can't increase indefinitely.

Housing and roads ECT.. Are human constructs. Its near impossible to run out of room and therefore their number is only limited by the availability of capital to build them.

A birth rate of more than 2 is sustainable because expressed as a percentage it increases at a slower rate than the increased output of most resources.
Original post by DiddyDec
How did you work that out?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I study demographics.
Reply 71
Because people eat animals.

Silly people.
Reply 72
Well, there's your problem. :tongue:

I happen to be very proud of it and would study anything else.:u:
I've been lucky enough to meet lots of kids so I know how ****ty they are. That's my bit. Maybe one day other's will realise it too!
Original post by lizmoo0721
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I study demographics.

No, I'm being serious. I don't care what you study, I want to how you came to the conclusion.
Reply 75
Original post by gundog48
I've been lucky enough to meet lots of kids so I know how ****ty they are. That's my bit. Maybe one day other's will realise it too!

I have too, I've also babysat. One things for sure, I love the moment when you are released from duty, a really nice feeling of liberation washes over you.
Reply 76
Original post by TheReader
Preach that to the third-world countries, as they're the ones mostly responsible for increasing population.

Again, there is a correlation between poverty and birthrates. So, as the title states, what is your personal responsibility? Stop palming it off, we all have a part to play.
Original post by DiddyDec
No, I'm being serious. I don't care what you study, I want to how you came to the conclusion.

Cheery aren't you? You are coming across very rude.

I'm currently reading Population 10 billion by Danny Dorling, it's really interesting.
It explains the demographic crisis that we are facing, and at the moment, lack of concern everyone is having to do anything.
Original post by Rakas21
Housing and roads ECT.. Are human constructs. Its near impossible to run out of room and therefore their number is only limited by the availability of capital to build them.

A birth rate of more than 2 is sustainable because expressed as a percentage it increases at a slower rate than the increased output of most resources.

I'll put it bluntly. The planet has a finite surface area. Food production uses land, and therefore it cannot increase indefinitely. Even if you refuse to see that we are overpopulated now, if we continue to increase the size of our population, we will eventually reach a crisis in which we can't increase our food production fast enough. Why not curtail population growth now, before we reach that point? Why forego the ounce of prevention in favour of the pound of cure?
Original post by NHM713
Silly people.

ikr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending