Ok so these are my grade

Eng Lang - C
Eng Lit - A
Sociology - B
Maths - C
History - C
Business - B
Science - C

I got till tomorrow to decide, I don't like IT but I have no idea what job I want or what I should do for A Levels, I just want a secure safe job that pays well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Shirin1
bump

what BTEC options have you got I am doing BTEC I.T and double Applied science (both at level 3) and Urdu which I might drop due to too many clashed no my timetable. I also got similar grades to you
what else are you taking?
Hiya,there is no reason why you must do a course that you are not dedicated to,as your more than likely going to give it up or continue doing it and not want to go into that line of work.
Reply 5
What do you want to do as a job?
Do a levels and pick English literature, psychology, business and... dunno a science or maybe sociology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh, you're not sure and you don't even like IT. Change to A-Levels. Do subjects that you like/want to do, or do a BTEC that you like/want to do. However, when you don't know what sector you want to go into, I would always recommend A-Levels. Not because Universities favour them, but because you as a person will be more versatile in what profession you will suit.

If you suddenly realise you want to do a job not related to IT, you'll have wasted 2 years doing a load of IT ****. If you do A Levels, with an A Level in IT as one of the four, you will still have 3 other subjects that will have applicable elements to your desired job. As well as this, you can drop IT if you don't enjoy it after AS, instead of having to change course next year if you hate it.
Reply 8
thanks to all, my dad wants me to do IT as he says the future is secure, say if I don't do IT at A Level or if I fail my A levels, can I drop out go to college and study for IT there?, I don't know what job to do

Original post by Flint_sky7
Do a levels and pick English literature, psychology, business and... dunno a science or maybe sociology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but do you where doing A levels like these might land me in terms of job prospects?
Reply 9
Original post by Shirin1
thanks to all, my dad wants me to do IT as he says the future is secure, say if I don't do IT at A Level or if I fail my A levels, can I drop out go to college and study for IT there?, I don't know what job to do

Thanks but do you where doing A levels like these might land me in terms of job prospects?

Yeah sure you can, I think you have to pay if you have already done 2 years of A Levels though. I know that it's free if you drop out at AS and change course, but if you change course after A2 I believe you would have to pay.
Go for A levels.
Do English Lit, Business Studies and sociology you won't get anywhere if you're only doing BTEC IT
Reply 12
ok cheers guys, but what career path can i take that'll lead to a decent career
Reply 13
sorry bu im really stuck, what career path can i do if i take those subjects
Base around English lit, be wary that you will need a B in English language to get into uni
Original post by Shirin1
ok cheers guys, but what career path can i take that'll lead to a decent career
Reply 15
Original post by Will98765
Base around English lit, be wary that you will need a B in English language to get into uni

ok thanks bro, so im still stuck and i have to pick my a levels tomorrow, i have no idea what career path to take aswell
Reply 16
Don't worry man, you don't need a career path yet. Just do subjects you enjoy, see if you want to carry it through to Uni after and go from there.
Reply 17
Original post by Shirin1
I'm doing BTEC IT, but I've got tomorrow to change to A Levels

Ok so these are my grade

Eng Lang - C
Eng Lit - A
Sociology - B
Maths - C
History - C
Business - B
Science - C

I got till tomorrow to decide, I don't like IT but I have no idea what job I want or what I should do for A Levels, I just want a secure safe job that pays well.

I'd say A levels, keeps your options open. Do English lit, sociology, business and one other, maybe Maths or a science? Or ICT or maybe even economics if you want? That will open lots of doors for s stable career and it will mean you have more time to decide what you want to do in the future!

(Do them only if you wants though!)
Reply 18
The IT BTEC is really good and is much better that the A level ICT, if you want a career in IT go for the BTEC 100%, I would seriously suggest avoiding ICT A level, go for either A level Computing or BTEC IT if you want a career in IT.

However, it is a lot of work and you need to be self-motivated, if you have no passion to do it you will quickly go off it and that would be a waste of 2 years, if you can find something that you really want to do go for a BTEC in it as the employment prospects are better.

If you are unsure of what you want to do, i would suggest taking 3/4 solid A levels that could allow you to get onto any uni course or allow you to easily change your career path (i.e. Maths, Sciences, English, Business/Economics etc. )

Do you want to go to university or go straight into employment?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by yt7777
The IT BTEC is really good and is much better that the A level ICT, if you want a career in IT go for the BTEC 100%, I would seriously suggest avoiding ICT A level, go for either A level Computing or BTEC IT if you want a career in IT.

However, it is a lot of work and you need to be self-motivated, if you have no passion to do it you will quickly go off it and that would be a waste of 2 years, if you can find something that you really want to do go for a BTEC in it as the employment prospects are better.

If you are unsure of what you want to do, i would suggest taking 3/4 solid A levels that could allow you to get onto any uni course or allow you to easily change your career path (i.e. Maths, Sciences, English, Business/Economics etc. )

Do you want to go to university or go straight into employment?

i'd like to go down the traditional route, uni then career.

Quick Reply

Latest