The Student Room Group

Greek AS Level

Hi,
I am at the moment doing 4 A-Levels and am in year 12. My subjects are Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (although i will take my Maths A-Level this year and do the Further Maths A-Level next year - we are given 8hours of Maths each week and i will take 7 modules this year in order to only take 5 next year).

I was thinking of doing a Classical Greek AS level over 2 years as it sounds really interesting. I have not studied Greek before but have studied Latin and really enjoyed it although i got an A at GCSE (this was because of the fact that i lost my study cards a week before the exam). Do you guys think i'm ruddy mental for thinking of doing this on top of all my other subjects and how did you find it?

(ps. This may be just because we only started last tuesday but i'm really bored at the moment as i have quite a lot of free periods and have easily completed all the work having read ahead quite a bit- so also could somebody also share their experiences on that front)

If you think you could cope with the workload - then it's worth considering :smile:

It would be hard work, but if you enjoyed studying Latin, then there's no need to be afraid of a challenge. Greek is harder at the beginning but gets easier the more you study it.

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the Greek and doing some basic practices and seeing if you'd think you'd enjoy it before deciding!
I've been studying greek for 4 years now and yes, it's hard. I do 4 hours a week but it requires a lot of work at home. The main difference form latin (apart form the alphabet, that you'll learn to read the first lesson and it's actually so much easier than it seems) is the grammar, that's quiet harder, and when in latin it's very strict, greek is full of exceptions. This for the down side; on the other Hand, i don't regret studying greek, greek philosophy and lliterature are the best, and studying the language will really give you a full knowledge of the greek word and forma mentis. So if you think you'd be able to dedicate quiet a lot of time to it, definitely do it, you're going to love it eventually

Quick Reply

Latest