The Student Room Group

How to best revise for the highest marks in exams!

I've met a lot of people who told me that their weak point is not the difficulty of the subject itself but rather how to revise for it - they lack understanding of the 'correct' technique to revise (although there is no one way to study). That said, I wanted to throw in some of my own tips for revision. I personally found them very useful and they helped me achieve well at AS, and I'm currently performing quite well at A2 although the year has just started.

1) Spaced repetition. So when I was trying to figure out the best way for me to revise; I looked around for techniques on how to not only re-learn information effectively but to store it for the long term (which is ideal, because it means there'll be less pressure to re-learn stuff when we're close to exams come May/June). So what it means is to revise in increasing time intervals - why? Well when we learn things we create neurones in our brain that are responsible for storing this 'learned' information to be re-called at a later time - eventually if we don't use this neurone it it will deteriorate and we will 'forget' it - basically "don't use it, lose it". But what is interesting is that when we are close to forgetting something, if we decide to re-learn it, the neurone is 'stronger' and will supposedly last longer - Now I'm not saying this is concrete fact because there is still a lot we don't know about our brains, but it has worked in my favour before. So how do you integrate it into your revision?

When you finish a class, let's say Biology - You've finished learning about the kidney and how it filters the blood to remove metabolic 'waste'. After two or three days have passed you should take the opportunity to go through the notes you made on the topic in full detail as though you're learning it again for the same time. You'll cover a new topic in class the following day(s), but you should return to the topic in a week and gauge how much you've remembered - go over anything you've forgotten. You'll notice that you'll remember the content more confidently and you'll be able to re-call it much more clearly - you can by then extend the time to return to that topic to weeks or even a month or two.

2) Revision times. Scientists argue that we can focus on performing a certain task up to a certain period of time, before our performance begins to fall. I don't like to use anecdotes a lot but I've seen people sit down and revise for 5-6 hours straight and when I ask them about a certain topic that we both covered, they always seemed less knowledgeable, as if they didn't learn it effectively - their memory is fuzzy in certain areas. It is said that our brains can work at their peaks for an average of 30ish minutes before needing a break. Now I always think that each person is different, I personally did 45 minutes because the subjects I did required that much to even finish a side of paper. After that I would take a 5 minute break. I would then do another 45 minutes, followed by another 5 minute break. This would repeat until my fourth 45 minute before I take a 20 minute break. Then I'd maybe do 1 or 2 more 45 minutes - and I would have done all in all 4-5 hours of revision. You can time yourself with an app or a clock.

3) Teaching. It's argued that this is the best way to consolidate any information that you've learned. You teach it. I did this with my little brother, parents and friends sometimes, and it does work. It helped that my parents were in the medical field so they understood what I was saying when it came to Biology/Chemistry (and friends who also did my subject). When you learn a topic, go teach it to someone else, even if they may already know it. You'll be able to go through every point that you learned and it will give you a confidence boost as well. It's also a lot funner than studying in your own room for a while.

That's it for now. I'm too tired to write anymore. Might update it.
Love you. +1
thanks
love your first and second tip
Original post by Unbroken Oath
Love you. +1

Ty bae.
Original post by I Don't Know 79
thanks
love your first and second tip

Appreciate it.
Reply 5
This should be pretty useful for a lot of people.
Thanks - I'll try this out. The thing with me is I tend to lose my concentration after awhile!
Reply 7
I bought this for youimage.jpg
Original post by High Stakes
Appreciate it.
Original post by Khanthebrit
Thanks - I'll try this out. The thing with me is I tend to lose my concentration after awhile!

Being focused is central to revision. Cut out all distractions.
Spaced repetition, I'll try that this year for bio and chem.
Basically I'm applying to go to St. Paul's girls school but I have to do an entrance exam I'm planning on taking Chemisrty,Biology,History and maybe Maths How are the exams (hard???) What topics are they on mainly?
Original post by Ghostgirl99
Basically I'm applying to go to St. Paul's girls school but I have to do an entrance exam I'm planning on taking Chemisrty,Biology,History and maybe Maths How are the exams (hard???) What topics are they on mainly?

Sorry I never got back to replying to you! Guess it's too late now haha.

Just looking back at this thread to make sure I'm studying smart and on track.

- Changed my time intervals to: 35 minutes followed with 5 minute breaks.

- Listen to: instrumental jazz, soft piano, studio ghibi. (NO LYRICS/VOCALS).

- Spaced repetition - new topics recapped following morning, then following week.

- Recaps - self-testing & teaching others.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest