The Student Room Group

What type of job/career is this? Educational Psychology?

I'm extremely interested in the idea of this occupation but I don't know the name for it. (I'm in the first year of my a levels)

Basically observing the way in which lessons are taught and to children and trying to introduce different teaching methods. E.g. Observing lessons, I would notice that the way in which children in...say year 9 are taught GCSE's is extremely limiting and teachers are not teaching in a way that a child's full potential would be brought out thus causing the decrease in exam results for that specific age. I would look into reforming these teaching methods and hold training sessions for teachers for example or just generally do research into such situations that schools and other education systems can take on board in order to ultimately improve UK's education results.

Would this be educational psychology?
Kind of... But EPs focus mostly on children who the school are struggling with, whether that's for behaviour or because their learning isn't improving as quickly as it should, or they have particular difficulties. What you're talking about sounds more like the professional development done by mentors/senior leadership, or Ofsted with the observations, or research in a university. EPs do do training as well, but it's more focused on methods for teaching children with SEN or awareness raising of difficulties, for example
Reply 2
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I'm extremely interested in the idea of this occupation but I don't know the name for it. (I'm in the first year of my a levels)

Basically observing the way in which lessons are taught and to children and trying to introduce different teaching methods. E.g. Observing lessons, I would notice that the way in which children in...say year 9 are taught GCSE's is extremely limiting and teachers are not teaching in a way that a child's full potential would be brought out thus causing the decrease in exam results for that specific age. I would look into reforming these teaching methods and hold training sessions for teachers for example or just generally do research into such situations that schools and other education systems can take on board in order to ultimately improve UK's education results.

Would this be educational psychology?

"Educational psychology is concerned with helping children and young people eperiencing problems that can hinder their chance of learning." British Psychological Society

It seems that the role you are talking about is exactly what teachers do as part of their professional development.

Quick Reply

Latest