The Student Room Group

Adopting fashion sense

Hi, this seems like a bit of a weird thing to talk about but I want to sort it out so here goes:

I am currently one of the most unfashionable guys you'll ever meet; I essentially wear t-shirts and jeans every day and feel that I have no say in what I wear, my mum basically chooses my clothes etc, as sad as it sounds...

This isn't because I don't have fashion sense; quite the opposite. However, I have a sort of fashion phobia and just go with the flow of wearing ****ty clothes because a) I don't feel I have the balls to make a thing about it (stupid, I know) and b) I would worry deeply about what my parents and others think about what I'm wearing etc, this is almost like a paranoia. Like if I were to wear slim fit jeans one day, I would think that she thinks I'm gay

Thanks in advance for helping :smile:
Reply 1
Try out new styles. Don't be scared to experiment :smile:
Reply 2
Don't feel like you have to suddenly make massive changes all at once. You don't have to suddenly start wearing the most fashionable trendy clothes you see, small changes can be a good place to start.

In an ideal world, if you knew nobody was going to judge you or think anything negative at all, what kind of things do you like or would you want to wear? What style jeans do you wear now, for instance, and is there a medium in between that and wearing skinny jeans? Or with t-shirts, could you maybe try a polo shirt one week, and then build up to trying a shirt and jeans? Or what about 'accessorising' your jeans/t-shirts a bit - belts, a scarf as it begins to get colder, some kind of wristbands, a new watch, or some different shoes?

How is your relationship with your parents? If your mum basically chooses your clothes, could you say to her that you've been thinking about what style suits you, and see what she thinks would suit you? She's probably buying clothes that she thinks you're happy with, so would probably be very happy to choose some different things with you.

Quick Reply

Latest