The Student Room Group

German degree without A level in the language. Urgent!!!

Hi this may make me sound like a moron which may not be too far from the truth but due to being rubbish at sixth form I am redoing my A-levels at a local college.

The only problem is I can't get a German a-level qualification anywhere locally which was the main subject I wanted to take. I want to carry on with German into further education at university but all of the unis I have looked at so far require an a-level in the language.

Can anyone help me in any way? Ideally I would either be able to take an a-level in German somewhere, or find a university that doesn't require the subject to have been taken at a-level. If anyone has any ideas, you will have my awesomest thankyous.
Reply 1
In some universities you could take german as an ab-initio language with another langauge at a-level. So if you take french or spanish or another a-level language you could study both at degree level.
Lauraaaaa
In some universities you could take german as an ab-initio language with another langauge at a-level. So if you take french or spanish or another a-level language you could study both at degree level.

:ditto: Although it's much harder to find ab initio courses in languages like German and French because the majority of sixth forms and colleges offer them, so it might limit you a fair bit in your choice of uni.
At Bath, you can do German from post GCSE, if you have that.
Reply 4
I don't want to learn another language as that will just distract me from German and I really don't have the desire to. Bath looks good, are there any other uni's that offer degrees from post GCSE German?
The only problem with that is that a lot of unis ask for an A-level in any foreign language even if you want to do a different one ab initio to prove your language learning ability.
Reply 6
Most Uni's offering it ab-initio will let you take it as part of a joint honours degree. Other thing to think about is an Open University course in place of the A level? Find out what the Uni's would accept first though!
*soph*
Most Uni's offering it ab-initio will let you take it as part of a joint honours degree. Other thing to think about is an Open University course in place of the A level? Find out what the Uni's would accept first though!

yeh i think at some unis (maybe have a look at kent, essex, sussex etc) you can do an ab-inito language as part of a joint honours degree with another subject, for example history, and ithink they accept you with just a gcse in a foreign language. do you have a foreign language gcse? if not you could do one at evening classes and it might be better than doing the whole a level, especially if it's in a language you don't want to study.
http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RJ7JVoJhlQaPRX5yt5H6DFuJTDY2w-38ML/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=German&cmbQual=DEG&cmbAttend=FT&cmbInst=&button1.x=35&button1.y=6

These are all the unis that offer German, and just from having a quick browse, you actually have quite a lot of options. However, most unis will only let you do Joint Honours, ie German and/with another non language, or 2 languages, German and another that you have at A-level, or want an A-level or at least a GCSE in any foreign language to prove your ability.

Latest

Trending

Trending