The Student Room Group

Orthoptics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EducatedFH
I would apply to optometry but for the universities that I want to apply to, need chemistry.

What A-levels do you do and what uni were you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi:smile:

I'm applying for Orthoptics 2016. I have been to the Liverpool open day and was really impressed with all the staff and current students! Just hoping i can get the grades to get accepted on results day!!!
Hi Becky!

We are really pleased that you enjoyed the open day and we wish you the best of luck with your application!

If you have any questions, we are more than happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Livuniorthoptic
Hi Becky!

We are really pleased that you enjoyed the open day and we wish you the best of luck with your application!

If you have any questions, we are more than happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I was to apply with a C in gcse English language and a B in gcse English literature but predicted an A in A2 history would I still stand a strong chance when applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My daughter was so disappointed to have been rejected by Liverpool outright 2 days after submitting UCAS. The reason on UCAS stated that the personal statement did not show understanding of the profession. Because she also applied for optometry ,therefore the personal statement kind of split between the two . She had work experience of both and did fully understand the difference. She has 8A* 1A in GCSE , 4A in AS ( physics Maths psychology and Biology ) , predicted grade A*AA. I must say her extra curriculum is not too strong. But with a strong academic it is kind of strange to receive a rejection outright especially Liverpool offers interview this year. It is really a shame as she really likes Liverpool and it would be her first choice. Luckily she has an invite from Sheffield , hopefully they will like her there.
For those still preparing personal statement may need to really follow the leaflet Liverpool gave out during open day to include all the points they stated.
Original post by Elayne429
My daughter was so disappointed to have been rejected by Liverpool outright 2 days after submitting UCAS. The reason on UCAS stated that the personal statement did not show understanding of the profession. Because she also applied for optometry ,therefore the personal statement kind of split between the two . She had work experience of both and did fully understand the difference. She has 8A* 1A in GCSE , 4A in AS ( physics Maths psychology and Biology ) , predicted grade A*AA. I must say her extra curriculum is not too strong. But with a strong academic it is kind of strange to receive a rejection outright especially Liverpool offers interview this year. It is really a shame as she really likes Liverpool and it would be her first choice. Luckily she has an invite from Sheffield , hopefully they will like her there.
For those still preparing personal statement may need to really follow the leaflet Liverpool gave out during open day to include all the points they stated.

Wow your daughter has amazing grades! if she didn't get in, I wonder how we will do, good luck to her with Sheffield. (oh and thanks for the advice and sharing this)
Original post by Elayne429

Hi Elayne,

I am very sorry to hear the disappointment your daughter has had.

Unfortunately, the course is very competitive therefore it is not just the academic requirements which are taken in to consideration and the same criteria is applied to all applicants.

If your daughter would like to discuss this further, my advice would be to contact the admissions tutor ([email protected]) for further feedback.
Reply 27
Hi :smile:

I have applied for orthoptics at all 3 unis. I have an interview for Sheffield but have not heard from Liverpool even though I applied over 3 weeks ago, is this the normal average waiting time?
Hi l, so I'm currently doing an access course in science do you think I stand the same chance in orthoptics as everyone else? I do have 1 days worth of observation in the orthoptics department but I also have personal experience as a patient in the orthoptics department.
Hi guys, I'm a resit student wanting to apply for orthoptics at Sheffield. My predicted grades are only BBC, do you think it's worth still applying?
Has anyone got offers yet for orthoptics?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Ellyads

I have applied for orthoptics at all 3 unis. I have an interview for Sheffield but have not heard from Liverpool even though I applied over 3 weeks ago, is this the normal average waiting time?

Hi can I ask what your predicted grades were? And how long Sheffield took to reply?
Thank you
Reply 31
I've applied for Orthoptics at Sheffield, Liverpool and Glasgow Caledonian. I have an interview for Sheffield on 2nd December, anyone else have one? Also has anyone heard back from Liverpool or Glasgow yet?
@shazy97
How long did Sheffield take to get back to u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
@Aisha_22
I sent mine on the 26th October and they sent me an email a week later about the interview!
@shazy97
Have you heard back from any of the other ones?
Good luck with your interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellyads

Hi there!

The typical turnaround time for orthoptic applications at Liverpool is usually around two weeks, however this can sometimes be longer during busy periods.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email our admissions tutor [email protected]

I hope this is helpful!

Best of luck!
Reply 36
Original post by maariyah5
Hi can I ask what your predicted grades were? And how long Sheffield took to reply?
Thank you

My predicted grades are A* A B and Sheffield took about 2 weeks I think:smile:
Reply 37
@Aisha_22
No, not yet but hopefully soon. Thank you! Hope you get an interview for Sheffield!
Original post by Ellyads
My predicted grades are A* A B and Sheffield took about 2 weeks I think:smile:

Thank you! ☺️
Hey guys, does anyone know whether orthoptics was in clearing last year for Sheffield?
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest