The Student Room Group

Applying to a university in London for high school crush?

I've had a crush on him since the beginning of Year 8. He was two years my senior (technically one, since his birthday is in July and mine is in November). I remember hearing his name being pronounced a lot in Year 7 - I think he was dating my friend's cousin at the time (he was in Year 9). I realised who he was after meeting him in September 2010, and he left an amazing impression on me. I began stalking him on Facebook and Bebo, and fell in love with his dorky posts. He's one of the sweetest boys I've ever known, and he was always in the newsletters for his academic achievements.When he was in Year 11, I used to speak to him on BBM. We had such great conversations, but I never managed to get intimate with him. We slowly drifted apart, and both of us have now abandoned BBM. We used to speak on Facebook too, but he doesn't go on that often either. I've hung out with his group several times (with my friend and her cousin), and even saw him at a house party in Year 10 (he was in Year 12). I drank a lot and tried flirting with him, and he took me out into the garden and kissed me. It was the best experience of my life, but I don't believe he remembered anything.

I was half-hoping he would apply to a local university but instead he selected KCL for his firm and Queen Mary as his insurance. He got into KCL. Since then I've visited London several times with my friends, and I must say I like the city. I haven't managed to run into him. I almost did once, when my friend's sister (I'm talking about another friend here, I've fallen out with the other one ages ago) texted him to come out while we were visiting the British Museum.

I'm thinking of doing a History degree, preferably in London. I've been predicted the grades A*AA (History, R.E. and English Lit respectively), but because I suffer from bouts of depression I doubt I'll be able to achieve that A*. I'm thinking of applying to at least two universities in London - preferably three and possibly four. What universities in London offer good History courses, without being too distant from where he is staying (Waterloo)? As far as I know he's still single and he's most probably going to stay in London for City recruitment following graduation...

Surely I deserve a chance? I've fancied him since the beginning of Year 8 - that's five years. My heart has remained loyal to him for the past year and a half, even though I haven't seen him since high school (sans a chance meeting on a night out at the end of the summer vacation - he was about to leave for London...) I'm decently pretty, I've not academically poor, and I'm loyal to him. I must have a chance, right?

P.S. My GCSE grades were A*A*AAAAABBBCC. I got an A* in History, an A* in RE, an A in English Language, an A in English Literature, an A in Geography, an A in French, an A in Music, and a B-borderline-A in Maths. I got a B in Science and a C in Additional.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So you're planning to make a massive decision in your life so you can try and get with your crush?

GG.
Reply 2
Imagine you travel all the way to London just for him and he has a gf by then :biggrin: you don't know if he likes you, best to allow the hollywood rom-com and do whats best for you education wise
Original post by Voss_1
Imagine you travel all the way to London just for him and he has a gf by then :biggrin: you don't know if he likes you, best to allow the hollywood rom-com and do whats best for you education wise

But the thing is, I do like London and they've got a huge range of universities to choose from, including some very good ones. I won't get into Oxbridge anyway so that's not a factor. And even if he gets a girlfriend by then, who's to say they won't break up? And even if we don't manage to get together, a few meetings with him in London might help to bring closure...I was wrong to call it a 'crush', I like him a lot. I would have said 'love' but you guys would just tell me I'm exaggerating.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illiteratesoul
I've had a crush on him since the beginning of Year 8. He was two years my senior (technically one, since his birthday is in July and mine is in November). I remember hearing his name being pronounced a lot in Year 7 - I think he was dating my friend's cousin at the time (he was in Year 9). I realised who he was after meeting him in September 2010, and he left an amazing impression on me. I began stalking him on Facebook and Bebo, and fell in love with his dorky posts. He's one of the sweetest boys I've ever known, and he was always in the newsletters for his academic achievements.When he was in Year 11, I used to speak to him on BBM. We had such great conversations, but I never managed to get intimate with him. We slowly drifted apart, and both of us have now abandoned BBM. We used to speak on Facebook too, but he doesn't go on that often either. I've hung out with his group several times (with my friend and her cousin), and even saw him at a house party in Year 10 (he was in Year 12). I drank a lot and tried flirting with him, and he took me out into the garden and kissed me. It was the best experience of my life, but I don't believe he remembered anything.

I was half-hoping he would apply to a local university but instead he selected KCL for his firm and Queen Mary as his insurance. He got into KCL. Since then I've visited London several times with my friends, and I must say I like the city. I haven't managed to run into him. I almost did once, when my friend's sister (I'm talking about another friend here, I've fallen out with the other one ages ago) texted him to come out while we were visiting the British Museum.

I'm thinking of doing a History degree, preferably in London. I've been predicted the grades A*AA (History, R.E. and English Lit respectively), but because I suffer from bouts of depression I doubt I'll be able to achieve that A*. I'm thinking of applying to at least two universities in London - preferably three and possibly four. What universities in London offer good History courses, without being too distant from where he is staying (Waterloo)? As far as I know he's still single and he's most probably going to stay in London for City recruitment following graduation...

Surely I deserve a chance? I've fancied him since the beginning of Year 8 - that's five years. My heart has remained loyal to him for the past year and a half, even though I haven't seen him since high school (sans a chance meeting on a night out at the end of the summer vacation - he was about to leave for London...) I'm decently pretty, I've not academically poor, and I'm loyal to him. I must have a chance, right?

P.S. My GCSE grades were A*A*AAAAABBBCC. I got an A* in History, an A* in RE, an A in English Language, an A in English Literature, an A in Geography, an A in French, an A in Music, and a B-borderline-A in Maths. I got a B in Science and a C in Additional.

I'm going to be honest, I think you should forget about him and don't let him influence your uni choice at all.
I had an absolutely massive crush on a guy from year 8- year 11. I thought he was amazing and that if I couldn't have him in my life, my life wouldn't be worth living. I thought he was the personification of perfection and at the time was determined to do everything in my power to keep him in my life. I was convinced we had a 'speacial connection' that would never be broken. ( I now realise we didn't at all, I was just silly)

I can safely say I did get over him completely, and you will get over this guy I assure you. Luckily I never did allow this guy to influence any major life choices of mine. We did both attend the same sixth form, but only because there's literally only one place to do alevels in my whole area so i had no choice anyway, but it was during that time I completely got over him.

He got a girlfriend who he's in a serious relationship with, and I never feel any sort of jealously when I see them together.

I realise now me and him were completely incompatible and he isn't anywhere near as amazing as I thought he was. When you have a crush on someone it's easy to see them as an amazing supernatural being when really they are not. I remember thinking he was a million times more intelligent than I was and he would end up very successful in the future. Turns out I did much better in my alevels and he didn't even get in to uni !

I even walked past him in the street earlier today as it happens, and didn't feel a thing.

What I'm trying to say is, however intense a crush feels, you can always get over it and no one is worth influencing such a massive decision. He may well get a girlfriend before you start and then how would you feel?

Also, it's been such a long time now, if he really liked you he would have acted on it.
Original post by lachachacha
I'm going to be honest, I think you should forget about him and don't let him influence your uni choice at all.
I had an absolutely massive crush on a guy from year 8- year 11. I thought he was amazing and that if I couldn't have him in my life, my life wouldn't be worth living. I thought he was the personification of perfection and at the time was determined to do everything in my power to keep him in my life. I was convinced we had a 'speacial connection' that would never be broken. ( I now realise we didn't at all, I was just silly)

I can safely say I did get over him completely, and you will get over this guy I assure you. Luckily I never did allow this guy to influence any major life choices of mine. We did both attend the same sixth form, but only because there's literally only one place to do alevels in my whole area so i had no choice anyway, but it was during that time I completely got over him.

He got a girlfriend who he's in a serious relationship with, and I never feel any sort of jealously when I see them together.

I realise now me and him were completely incompatible and he isn't anywhere near as amazing as I thought he was. When you have a crush on someone it's easy to see them as an amazing supernatural being when really they are not. I remember thinking he was a million times more intelligent than I was and he would end up very successful in the future. Turns out I did much better in my alevels and he didn't even get in to uni !

I even walked past him in the street earlier today as it happens, and didn't feel a thing.

What I'm trying to say is, however intense a crush feels, you can always get over it and no one is worth influencing such a massive decision. He may well get a girlfriend before you start and then how would you feel?

Also, it's been such a long time now, if he really liked you he would have acted on it.

But then why did he kiss me at that house party two/three years ago? And we used to talk so much on BBM. True, he's probably forgotten by now (like how virtually everyone has forgotten about BBM) but I believe I've got the power to rekindle that magic. He was in Year 11 that year, why else would he be talking to a girl so much on Facebook and BBM if he didn't at least like her? The year gap probably formed a natural barrier back in high school, but once I'm a mature adult it won't mean anything
But then why did he kiss me at that house party two/three years ago? And we used to talk so much on BBM. True, he's probably forgotten by now (like how virtually everyone has forgotten about BBM) but I believe I've got the power to rekindle that magic. He was in Year 11 that year, why else would he be talking to a girl so much on Facebook and BBM if he didn't at least like her? The year gap probably formed a natural barrier back in high school, but once I'm a mature adult it won't mean anything

Most people who have deep, serious and long lasting crushes on someone have some reason to believe the person likes them back- the feeling there is a mutual attraction exacebarates attraction, But that doesn't they like them back anywhere near as much.

He may have liked you a bit in the past, who am I to say for sure, but he clearly didn't like you enough to pursue things any further, and if he seriously wanted you he would have made it happen, because guys will always find a at if they truly like a girl.

But by the sound of it, you have a rather obsessive crush on this guy which isn't healthy.
Please don't make a huge life decision based on a crush. The problem is you're being too idealistic. University is a huge place and it seems like too much time has gone by for that drunken kiss to ensure that there's a definite chance of a relationship. He would be second or third year now; it's quite likely that he's in a relationship now. Even if you do end up going to his uni, it doesn't mean you will be spending any time together; he's already in his social groups and probably has his own friends and relationships with similar schedules to him.

I suggest you start fresh and enjoy your first year at uni. Who knows, you may meet someone that you like twice as much. I think if there was a huge chance for a relationship you would have been in one with him by now.
They're called a crush for a reason darling
Ah, to be young.

It won't last OP. You'll both get to London and realise how pathetic your crushes were in secondary school and never speak or think about each other again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by starrymoon
Please don't make a huge life decision based on a crush. The problem is you're being too idealistic. University is a huge place and it seems like too much time has gone by for that drunken kiss to ensure that there's a definite chance of a relationship. He would be second or third year now; it's quite likely that he's in a relationship now. Even if you do end up going to his uni, it doesn't mean you will be spending any time together; he's already in his social groups and probably has his own friends and relationships with similar schedules to him.

I suggest you start fresh and enjoy your first year at uni. Who knows, you may meet someone that you like twice as much. I think if there was a huge chance for a relationship you would have been in one with him by now.

I just think it's worth taking chances. I'll be left wondering for the rest of my life ('what if...?') if I don't make a passive attempt. It's not as though I'm actively pursuing him. Besides, I think I'd enjoy London as a city anyway.
I spoke to the head of sixth form today, he tells me to do some online research about London universities and to bear in mind that with my good results most doors will be open to me.
i wouldnt advise going to a uni based on a boy

however im studying history in london because some of the better course are in london (depending on what history interests you)
He could be reading this right now...

As I said in another thread recently, you should choose a uni on its own merits, not because someone else goes there.

Why don't you just speak to him before committing to a place?
Original post by citydeer
i wouldnt advise going to a uni based on a boy

however im studying history in london because some of the better course are in london (depending on what history interests you)

So far I've only been taught modern history at GCSE and A-Level (which I've very much enjoyed), though I have an extracurricular interest in medieval European history. It would be nice to get a taster of some earlier history.
In addition theories of historiography have been presented to my class at the end of Year 12, and I'm developing an interest in these various schools of thought.
So far I've only been taught modern history at GCSE and A-Level (which I've very much enjoyed), though I have an extracurricular interest in medieval European history. It would be nice to get a taster of some earlier history.
In addition theories of historiography have been presented to my class at the end of Year 12, and I'm developing an interest in these various schools of thought.

i would recommend looking into qmul their history department is very good and all the modules are optional so you can really tailor your degree to what you enjoy - they also have both amazing modern history modules but also an incredible medieval history department!!
remember history degrees vary so much, you really need to look at the course content for each uni! also if you decide you want to focus on earlier history maybe look into degrees in medieval history
Original post by citydeer
i would recommend looking into qmul their history department is very good and all the modules are optional so you can really tailor your degree to what you enjoy - they also have both amazing modern history modules but also an incredible medieval history department!!
remember history degrees vary so much, you really need to look at the course content for each uni! also if you decide you want to focus on earlier history maybe look into degrees in medieval history

Thanks! Where is Queen Mary by the way?
Thanks! Where is Queen Mary by the way?

its in east london (mile end)

It's pretty sad tbh, he kissed you because your a girl not because he likes you. If he did like you he would make an effort to talk to you then and now. Don't live your life for anyone else and don't expect others to live for you. Love isn't a fairy tale it's hard work no one is truly special and the one. Only the one is the person who can fit into your life and you into theirs when the timings right. The timing wasn't right here and you never had a relationship even after you kissed which would of been the time if any.
Original post by thebearissquare
It's pretty sad tbh, he kissed you because your a girl not because he likes you. If he did like you he would make an effort to talk to you then and now. Don't live your life for anyone else and don't expect others to live for you. Love isn't a fairy tale it's hard work no one is truly special and the one. Only the one is the person who can fit into your life and you into theirs when the timings right. The timing wasn't right here and you never had a relationship even after you kissed which would of been the time if any.

Exactly, and here I am trying to make a passive effort. Traditionally and conventionally, it's always men pursuing women's hearts. Who's to say that I can't reverse these conventions and 'pursue' him? It would be a loss on my part to not to go to uni because of him, but in this case I AM going to uni and I AM going to fulfil my ambitions - only with a potential added bonus.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest