The Student Room Group

Student Finance- Dad's partner has moved in

I'm going on to my final year of uni, and I sent my student finance off earlier this year, which has all been approved. However, since then, my Dad's partner has moved in (recently).

Do I need to inform student finance about this change? I know you'll probably say I have to. It's just frustrating, before I was due to get a grant, and with his partner's income considered I likely wouldn't. She has two younger children of her own to support, I can't expect her to support me when her and my Dad have only just moved in together...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
I really need advice guys :frown:
Reply 3
student finance for this year is based off income in 2013/14 so you wont have to worry about this or inform them this year
Reply 4
Original post by citydeer
student finance for this year is based off income in 2013/14 so you wont have to worry about this or inform them this year

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Anyone else? :smile:
Reply 6
Pretty much what Citydeer said. Don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 7
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by Tishy

there isnt really another answer you can get, it wont effect your SF application so dont worry about it
What those guys said :smile:
You do have to tell them. You have to tell them of ANY change in circumstance.

However if your dads partner isn't on the electral role at your home address then no, it won't come up. However if she is, and student finance find out, you could find yourself getting a letter concerning a grant overpayment from the student finance company, which they expect you to pay immediately.

They judge your previous years household income as an estimate of what your parents get this year. However, if suddenly the household income at your dads address is suddenly higher from two salaries, they will ask for the money back in the 2016 new year when they review if the estimates from last year met the actually household income of the previous tax year

(This happened to me - and it's very stressful, change in jobs and household income needs to be informed)
Original post by mcgreevy1993

However if your dads partner isn't on the electral role at your home address then no, it won't come up. However if she is, and student finance find out, you could find yourself getting a letter concerning a grant overpayment from the student finance company, which they expect you to pay immediately.

They judge your previous years household income as an estimate of what your parents get this year. However, if suddenly the household income at your dads address is suddenly higher from two salaries, they will ask for the money back in the 2016 new year when they review if the estimates from last year met the actually household income of the previous tax year

(This happened to me - and it's very stressful, change in jobs and household income needs to be informed)

With regards to the bit in bold, and the OPs household income, you say they review if the estimates from last year match up with the actual household income of the previous year? Well it shouldn't really matter though, because this is the OPs last year of uni, and her Dads partner has only moved in recently, so her previous years household income will be unaffected? It's the current tax year that will be affected, not the previous one?
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't bother lol
Reply 14
Original post by mcgreevy1993

:frown:

Can I ask, what was your exact situation?

What do you mean they review the estimates from last year? I didn't know they did that.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I wouldn't bother lol

If I did tell them, it would mean a massive struggle for me this year, I can't expect my Dad's partner to provide support for me, she's only just moved in with him and has two of her own kids.
Original post by Tishy
:frown:

Can I ask, what was your exact situation?

What do you mean they review the estimates from last year? I didn't know they did that.

If I did tell them, it would mean a massive struggle for me this year, I can't expect my Dad's partner to provide support for me, she's only just moved in with him and has two of her own kids.

You don't need to inform them as your Dad's partner moving in would affect this year's tax year, not last years.

You're lucky.
Reply 16
It doesn't say anywhere on Student Finance that the previous tax year figures you provide are just an estimate for the current tax year. I'm sure a lot of people's parents have had a higher income in their current tax year, than their previous one, and didn't have to pay back student finance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by tehforum
You don't need to inform them as your Dad's partner moving in would affect this year's tax year, not last years.

You're lucky.

Thanks for your reply.
This is one of many examples as to why the means-tested income system is ridiculous.

OP, as the others have said, it should only affect later years - and given you are in final year you are probably lucky.
Original post by Twinpeaks
With regards to the bit in bold, and the OPs household income, you say they review if the estimates from last year match up with the actual household income of the previous year? Well it shouldn't really matter though, because this is the OPs last year of uni, and her Dads partner has only moved in recently, so her previous years household income will be unaffected? It's the current tax year that will be affected, not the previous one?

They take your household income from the previous year, (so former p60) to estimate how much your parents will earn for this academic year.
In April, when all p45s are published by the government, they then review if your household income increased/decrease. Most stay the same, but if it changes - parents get new job, new partner moves in, hence more wages in household. Or in a bad circumstance parents lose job, parent moves out ect, you will either get more money given to you, or get sent a letter by te student loans company for a grant repayment.

My stepdad was unemployed in the former tax year, however he got a new job during my third year. - we did not confirm it and when the p45 was published and student finance got it (they request them from government) I owed them £800 of grant overpayment.

If your dads partner isn't registered to that address, (such as her employer doesn't know she lives there - and therefore it isn't on her p45 statement of earnings.) you wouldn't have a problem. If she does, they will find in an unfortunate case find out.

For people saying they don't take your current tax year into account - they do.

The tax rebate time falls in last few months of the academic year, when statement of earnings are published they will check it. They only use your previous tax year as an estimate as you can't predict it on a tax year that is only a few months in.

If you don't believe me - call student finance.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending