The Student Room Group

Why do most modern parents not discipline their kids?

Obviously the government was right to make illegal things like serious beatings/child abuse but modern parents spoil their children rotten.

It is stereotyped that "chav" or working class women are worst for this, however IMO middle class ones are the worst offenders. Often the father works long hours and buys children too many things to make up for it, and is a beta male scared of being firm. His "yummy mummy" stays at home, pampers her brats, refuses to discipline them like women did a few decades ago and expects society to revolve around their whims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3168500/Diner-owner-defends-yelling-2-year-old-stop-crying.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3179130/Why-don-t-BAN-screaming-brats-planes-AMANDA-PLATELL-happily-strangle-parents-too.html

Btw I am not black or Asian, but white (at least English) parents do this more than other cultures, is it an English thing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Moved to Society, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
I don't know, but I know this family who have a little kid (kid 1), and they had friends staying over, who also have a little kid (kid 2). So kid 2 throws a remote control car towards kid 1, who's on the stairs, and would have hit him in the head and knocked him over had kid 1's dad not been there and caught the car.Kid 2's parents gave the "oh he didn't mean it, he was just playing" ****.
I think parents are scared of telling their kids off because they don't want them to grow up and resent them, which is bull because I don't resent my parents for any of the times they told me off for being a ****. Although, not all parents don't discipline. I know lots of parents who do. Not physically, but grounding their kids, or taking away luxury items (tablets, computer time, etc.)
ye we have some really rude kids next door with an even worse mum. Wouldn't have dreamed of doing the stuff they do when I was a kid lol.
they're probably kids themselves:wink:
Reply 5
People like to wrap their kids in a cotton wool because they don't want to 'hurt their feelings'. This 'softer' approach to parenting does not work, the kids just do not care that you're telling them off and they end up not having any respect.
Kids having kids want their kids to be kids because kids being kids is cool

so discipline just doesn't fit in the picture :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly what I keep thinking, but still the parents spend too much time out there making money more than required and dont bother at all to bring their kids up, they'll give the kids to their Mrs to bring up whilst she's out and about. But yeah parents should toughen up. You have kids swearing at their parents. No respect at all. Where have the old days gone where some kids wont dare cross their parents. Fair enough when they grow up its different as the kids are independant but still
Original post by drowzee
People like to wrap their kids in a cotton wool because they don't want to 'hurt their feelings'. This 'softer' approach to parenting does not work, the kids just do not care that you're telling them off and they end up not having any respect.

This is so true! Honestly give your child a good talking to and on some occasions a slap and he or she will not misbehave that way again, I don't know why it's so hard for parents to do that, my mum never let us misbehave ever and it made her life 10x easier. Also we grew up as respectful young people. Ugh nothing bothers me more than rude children and their parents not doing anything about it. :angry:
They expect teachers to do it for them, just like table manners and potty training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because modern parents had super strict parents, so they rebelled against it. But you have to remember that you only pay attention to bad kids usual, you ignore the 99% of kids who are just well mannered and polite.
Reply 11
For some reason, my Grandparents who are really intelligent have started buying the Daily Mail. Now whenever I go round they're ranting about how parents these days have no discipline, all children are spoiled, etc :facepalm:
Biggest concern I would say is lack of moral disciple imposed on teens - in western culture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending