The Student Room Group

Check out your competition here for 2008 medicine!

Right what you do is list all of the unis you are applying to for medicne 2008, then the people applying to the same ones as you, you can check their profile or ask them questions to see what your up against. Put 4 smiley's for your 1st choice, 3 for your insurance choice and so on.Cool. I'll start:

Kings College London: Guy’s and St Thomas :biggrin: :biggrin:

UCL: Royal Free and University College London :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Queen Mary: The Barts and The London:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

St. Georges :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How can you give barts a higher rating than king's :confused:
How can you give King's a higher rating than anything :p:
Stay away from UCL, heathen! :smile:
why? i like ucl the open day is all booked though!! booo hooo ;( and why am i a heathen!! :smile:
Reply 5
Ah! People are gearing up for next year and I haven't even finished yet! It's terrifying.
Oxford :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
UCL/Nottingham(former might be too expensive, though):biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Queens, Belfast :biggrin:
aminalia89
why? i like ucl the open day is all booked though!! booo hooo ;( and why am i a heathen!! :smile:

Ok one university you like more than UCL is fine, but two bah!

And Renal, I feel upset, I think you're right about UCL being the place for Oxford rejects. I seem to be the only person who wanted to come here as my first choice :p:.
Reply 8
Nope. My friend's coming to UCL as an Imperial reject :p:
Reply 9
To be honest I can't be sure until I've actually visited them, but based on prospectus' and stuff -

Cambridge - :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Edinburgh - :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Bristol - :biggrin: :biggrin:
St. Andrews -:biggrin:

Reply 10
I'd like to think this would be an accurate poll, but really all it will do is show what a narrow class of students that tsr or medicine caters for.

However, my choices would be Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool. And one other, I dont know, taker your pick. Oh, Nottingham, since its mine!

I'm not indulgin in the smiley thing, though. Anyone one of my choices would be outstanding for medicine so I dont need to, bar perhaps Nottingham, which is merely dead good and saves you a year of Bsc-ing.
theredsox
Nope. My friend's coming to UCL as an Imperial reject :p:

Oh yes! I forgot the Imperial rejects. One of my mates who is in first year is one!
Reply 12
Hood
I'd like to think this would be an accurate poll, but really all it

I'm not indulgin in the smiley thing, though. Anyone one of my choices would be outstanding for medicine so I dont need to, bar perhaps Nottingham, which is merely dead good and saves you a year of Bsc-ing.

I agree, to be honest my smileys don't mean much, I am just hoping on getting any offers whatsoever for Medicine! I guess a lot of what I'm thinking about is the actual place that I'll be spending at very least, the next 5 years of my life at...seeing as all medical courses will be very similar content wise then this is a major factor in my opinion.

Reply 13
The teaching styles will vary though and there will be some variance in content, although I would guess that you've covered that base already from what you've said there.

I personally would drop out if I was on a course that hasnt moved on from spoonfeeding, although I appreciate that suits some applicants, particularly from spoonfed backgrounds. I need a course that makes me think.
I'm hoping that Nottingham is going to do that as much as a place like Newcastle would have. We'll see....
Reply 14
Hood
The teaching styles will vary though and there will be some variance in content, although I would guess that you've covered that base already from what you've said there.

I personally would drop out if I was on a course that hasnt moved on from spoonfeeding, although I appreciate that suits some applicants, particularly from spoonfed backgrounds. I need a course that makes me think.
I'm hoping that Nottingham is going to do that as much as a place like Newcastle would have. We'll see....

'Spoonfeeding'? Do you mean just a bunch of lectures and stuff like that?

To be honest I think any medicine course will make me think! I really enjoy learning about medical stuff, whether its reading an article in New Scientist, hearing some lecturer (our school took us to some conferences in London about Genetics) or researching something myself on the Internet. Whatever the teaching style, I'm sure nothing will be spoonfed and your natural enthusiasm to persue a career in medicine will leave you happy to find out stuff for yourself and in your own time that interests you:smile: .

Cheers,

Reply 15
you'll see.

you dont sound like a spoonfeeder in the slightest, though.
All those who are spoon fed an proud raise your hand:
*waves both in the air* :biggrin:
By spoon feeding are you making a subtle swipe at independent schools by any chance?
Reply 17
Bristol:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Edinburgh:biggrin: :biggrin:
UEA:biggrin:
UCL:biggrin: :biggrin:
marshmallow_mayhem
Oxford :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
UCL/Nottingham(former might be too expensive, though):biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Queens, Belfast :biggrin:

UCL all the way! Your med schools are almost identical to mine except for Notts. Best of luck :smile:

PS. Is VCB a voluntary grammar and prep girl's school in Belfast by any chance?
Lost_Cause
All those who are spoon fed an proud raise your hand:
*waves both in the air* :biggrin:
By spoon feeding are you making a subtle swipe at independent schools by any chance?

By spoonfeeding I think he's also making a not-so-subtle swipe at all those not applying to PBL courses! Though I am blonde...I may be proved wrong.

Please read up on your teaching styles before you apply, guys.

Latest

Trending

Trending