The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haha, well i am guilty of both! :tongue:
Yes definitely do what Becca says, although i read up on my unis and recently found out that the only one i got an offer to has changed their way of teaching recently commencing next year :s it was mainly lectures and now they're introducing some hardcore PBL!!! Its all a bit of a nightmare for me and my spoon feeding plans! :smile:
Newcastle (partners) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Sheffield:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
southampton:biggrin: :biggrin:
Leicester :biggrin:
Reply 22
becca2389
By spoonfeeding I think he's also making a not-so-subtle swipe at all those not applying to PBL courses! Though I am blonde...I may be proved wrong.

Please read up on your teaching styles before you apply, guys.

you're wrong, as is Lost Cause, though I can see why you've made these assumptions - this forum abounds with threads on these topics.

though your caveat is all good.
Reply 23
Kings
UCL
Queen Mary/Keele
Imperial.

I cant place them in order because I really don't know, I'd just be happy with a place. The only thing that bugs me is that as a Londoner I might not get accomodation.
Hehe, another all-London person!
Philosoraptor
Ok one university you like more than UCL is fine, but two bah!

And Renal, I feel upset, I think you're right about UCL being the place for Oxford rejects. I seem to be the only person who wanted to come here as my first choice :p:.

Don't worry, UCL's my first choice! Despite the rejection without interview :frown:

Oh well, I was taking a gap year anyway, so I'll just apply next year.
Reply 26
Reading this thread I can safely say that I'm hardly quaking in my boots. Probably because I'm already in.

But hey good luck to all of you for 2008 entry.
Reply 27
rahmed
How can you give barts a higher rating than king's :confused:

Easily! I did :p:
Reply 28
Why do some poeple apply to a mixture of PBL and non-PBL courses? Is it because they're not aware that there's a difference or is it just that they don't think it matters that much?

I'm just curious coz for me it was the first thing I decided on to narrow down which med schools I was applying to...
Reply 29
I dont even understand what PBL and non pbl are, if someone could explain I would be thankful.
Reply 30
PBL is problem-based learning (it's also sometimes called "**** off and find out yourself":p: ).

Basically, students work in groups. They get set a problem, decide on what they need to know to be able to solve the problem, go away and learn the relevant stuff, than meet up again to discuss what they found out. By doing this, they teach themselves about medicine, rather than being told what they need to know in lectures etc...
Reply 31
1.Cambridge
2.Imperial
3.UCL
4.Kings

In that order :smile:
Reply 32
Cambridge :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Leicester :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Imperial :biggrin: :biggrin:
Bristol :biggrin:
Having done the whole open day thing last year, I can actually base this on visiting the places, not just a prospectus!

1. Sheffield - lovely city, lovely university, and course recommended by a friend and my GP
2. Leicester - loved the uni on open day, seemed really friendly and they still do dissection!
3. Leeds - nice city, integrated systems based course and no mention of PBL!
4. Nottingham - campus based, BMedSci included, the research aspect of the BMedSci, and I love the city

(and Lincoln and Sheffield for BioMed)
Dammit, visiting places last year was a smart idea. I should probably have thought of doing that...

This is a provisional list, because not only do I need to see the universities, but I'm not really sure about whether PBL is good or bad; it looks as though there are chunks you miss out on throughout the course, even if it does keep you on your toes a little more...

1. Cambridge
2. UCL
3. Brighton and Sussex Medical School
4. Bristol

And Neuroscience at UCL as well, maybe?
Reply 35
I think too many people get disappointed every year
more time working, less time on internet forums speculating is the answer
Hehe! Never, I got loads of my stuff from here! :smile:
Reply 37
Philosoraptor
Hehe! Never, I got loads of my stuff from here! :smile:

And look where that got you :rolleyes:
Tbh, getting so many offers is somewhat unlikely. Can one afford to be so fussy when wanting to study medicine?
Reply 39
No Future
Tbh, getting so many offers is somewhat unlikely. Can one afford to be so fussy when wanting to study medicine?

If you mean picking and choosing well that would depend if you had more than one offer to choose from.

Latest

Trending

Trending