The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

underated:tongue:sychology
Earth sciences is underrated. I know not everyone finds rocks appealing, but it's a really broad subject with good career prospects and very high student satisfaction.

I don't want to call medicine/dentistry/vet 'overrated', that's not the issue. It's more that it leaves a lot of people very disappointed and demoralised when they do not get offers. Realistic decisions for uni applications must be made. There are so many alternatives in health care science, the pressure to be a medic is far too high on a lot of students and in many cases people are fixed on the idea without having actually considered why. Of course, there are those for whom medicine etc is the perfect thing to do and they are capable of getting there.

The lack of proper advice is very worrying.
Reply 22
Original post by A level sufferer
I disagree with foreign languages tbf, it used to be a USP to speak a 2nd language but in this globalised world, its not really that big of a deal anymore

Not in this country. Most Brits only speak English
Original post by Soffie
Why do you say that? Practically half the people I know who took maths is doing economics O.o

Said it because 1) I'm going to be doing it 2) someone above started crying about people apparently going to come on and say stuff like what I wrote, hence it was a joke... although that post has now been deleted
Original post by justag
Not in this country. Most Brits only speak English

Thats why i referenced to 'world' :smile:.... Its only a matter of time until the same will apply to the UK, either the citizens will pick up new languages or the native speaks will come here and provide the services most applicable to language degrees.... interpreting and so forth :smile:
Overrated - Law/ History

History is easy and won't get you anywhere, and people planning to do Law are always stuck in TV shows of their favourite Lawyers thinking that's what it's like.

Underrated - Computer Science

The sort of subject that should be the most popular in these current technology-controlled times. But it's not even close to that.
Drama is a bit underrated; don't get me wrong, its no employability goldmine. But I get a lot of eye rolls when I tell people part of my degree is drama. But it doesn't top many "most unemployed graduates lists" so it can't be that useless.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Overrated - Law/ History

History is easy and won't get you anywhere, and people planning to do Law are always stuck in TV shows of their favourite Lawyers thinking that's what it's like.

Underrated - Computer Science

The sort of subject that should be the most popular in these current technology-controlled times. But it's not even close to that.

History doesn't have to lead to a career in history, it can also lead to other things, for example law and politics. It's actually a very respected subject because of the skills taught. For example when I went to the Sheffield open day, they said that there's a high demand for history students to do accountancy as history students get taught how to interpret incomplete data which is just one of the useful skills.
I disagree with foreign languages tbf, it used to be a USP to speak a 2nd language but in this globalised world, its not really that big of a deal anymore

Accidently repped this, would undo if I could.
A few people saying law is overrated, why do you say so?
Reply 30
Thats why i referenced to 'world' :smile:.... Its only a matter of time until the same will apply to the UK, either the citizens will pick up new languages or the native speaks will come here and provide the services most applicable to language degrees.... interpreting and so forth :smile:

That's not the case now though and doesn't mean that language degrees aren't underrated.
Reply 31
I don't intend to study it, but I do think that Biology is massively underrated.
Original post by Drummerz
A few people saying law is overrated, why do you say so?

Because it's not hard to get into
Original post by Mrs House
Because it's not hard to get into

Is that a slight upon all students practicing law? Is it?

You stuck-up, upward nose pointing medicine ponces - think you're so much better than everybody else :tongue:

Just messing by the way.
Reply 34
Original post by midgemeister7
Underrated: Economics. If you don't agree, you're an idiot. Economics is the master race and anything else is not worth studying.

I don't think this post got enough attention.

If you are not studying economics at university, you are literally nothing and will never achieve anything.

If you are studying economics at university, I look forward to seeing you in Monte Carlo on our yachts.
Reply 35
Original post by Mrs House
Medicine is overrated, I study it

Pharmacy is underrated

can you read this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3583397
Original post by cacra
I don't think this post got enough attention.

If you are not studying economics at university, you are literally nothing and will never achieve anything.

If you are studying economics at university, I look forward to seeing you in Monte Carlo on our yachts.

I spend hours per day laughing hysterically at people who do not, have not or will not study economics. So funny how they think they will ever make any sort of contribution to society other than flipping burgers.
Reply 37
Original post by midgemeister7
i spend hours per day laughing hysterically at people who do not, have not or will not study economics. So funny how they think they will ever make any sort of contribution to society other than flipping burgers.

hahahahahaha!!! I haven't had a good laugh at the plebs in a while, thank you for reminding me about what was once my favourite past time.

How's your yacht by the way?
Overrated - Law
Underrated - Foreign languages
Reply 39
overrated - law and also teaching degrees,

underrated - radiography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending