The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Princepieman
It is. I've been in about 5 banks for various programs, and the number of business grads I've seen is nominal in comparison to Econ, Maths, History, etc. An MBA is different however.

Your point makes no sense, why should someone have to committ to a business degree when they can quite literally study anything they would prefer, then head into business? You don't get kudos for studying a business related degree in grad scheme applications.

That doesn't mean business degree applicants don't get offers. Your argument is narrow minded.

You seem unable to perform basic reading comprehension. I never stated you had to study business to get on a grad scheme, or any job for that matter. I said that students who choose to study a business related degree (reread the post you initially quoted - management, economics or business) are more likely to *want* to go into business roles, *not hired by businesses*, compared to law students. Law students generally want to become lawyers.

You need to understand the context of posts before jumping in and arguing against a point I've not even made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overrated: Any oversubscribed course that has loads of applicants applying to it
Underrated: Courses that are on the clearing list (for results day every year)
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

Law is really not challenging. Nutshells will get you through. I dont see what they can bring to the table in terms of other fields.they dont have unique knowledge really and are not in demand really. Every degree uses 'critical thinking'. How do you even sell that? Anyone can learn,but no one really cares about the principle of donoghue v stevenson

You need the a slash in the second quote box, like this , or it won't work. Whilst your knowledge of a widely known legal case is impressive, law has the lowest rate of firsts at 10% of any subject. It is challenging. Now you're going to say Aha! But I was a law student and I studied at Essex!—without sounding rude, a lot of subjects will be easier at Essex than at a reputable university. It's not a solid foundation off which to make claims about the wider scholarship of law.

Original post by justag

I wasn't questioning the poster's conclusion that law is overrated. I was challenging the argument the other poster presented, which was flawed in that it assumed law was only good for attempting to get students into the legal profession. Law is useful for those who don't end up as lawyers.

As for the perception that If I study law, I will most assuredly work at Clifford Chance, I don't think most people have that mindset of absolute confidence. It's a highly competitive market, but people still have a realistic chance of becoming lawyers if they work hard and have realistic ambitions. Most law students don't become students yet the majority of law students study with the hope of becoming a lawyer—this is an interesting point, but what it doesn't cover is the 3 or 4 years in between the original ambition and being awarded the degree. Plenty of people decide they no longer want to become a lawyer in between those two points (because they've decided they want to become a history teacher, or they want to move to Chicago and become a fashion designer, or because after 3 years of being adsorbed by quite a challenging subject they would like to do something new), and you have to take that into account instead of assuming they failed.
I'm laughing at those who think Law is overrated.

PS - I did study Law, but you'll need to study the subject before you can make such an absurd assertion.
Reply 64
Original post by callum_law
You need the a slash in the second quote box, like this

Yes, I never have disputed that Law is also useful for those who don't end up as lawyers.

I didn't mention any particular firm, let alone Clifford Chance. A lot of people who decide on studying law at sixth form have no idea about the graduate employment market, so often do expect to become lawyers. You may not have, but it's a common misconception. I said most people studying law aim to become lawyers. I still stand by that point and it does in fact take into account those who decide against law mid-degree. I did not assume or state that every law student who doesn't inevitably become a lawyer has failed, but for some that is the case. You're trying to put words in my mouth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by tehforum
I'm laughing at those who think Law is overrated.

PS - I did study Law, but you'll need to study the subject before you can make such an absurd assertion.

Why do you think it is not overrated?

In terms of course difficulty it is perceived to be harder than it really is. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake, but there are harder courses out there.

In terms of career prospects, the idea of becoming a lawyer is glamorised but the reality is more brutal and getting a job is very difficult compared to other fields.

For those two reasons I think it is overrated.
Original post by justag
In terms of course difficulty it is perceived to be harder than it really is. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake, but there are harder courses out there.

And you say this with what experience of the subject?
Reply 67
And you say this with what experience of the subject?

I never claimed I'm all knowing. I'm allowed to have an opinion and it's my perception. Feel free to voice your own opinion.
Original post by justag
I never claimed I'm all knowing. I'm allowed to have an opinion and it's my perception. Feel free to voice your own opinion.

So that would be ... no experience of law.
Reply 69
So that would be ... no experience of law.

lol that's not an argument. I'm sure you think your law degree is the hardest thing anybody has ever had to study... Well good for you.
Original post by Plagioclase
I think rocks are bloody marvelous.

I concur.

:biggrin:
Reply 71
Economics is so overrated.
Original post by justag
lol that's not an argument. I'm sure you think your law degree is the hardest thing anybody has ever had to study... Well good for you.

I just don't make claims about things about which I have no knowledge. It's just one of those quirky things I do, bud. Might wanna try it, but then again I don't think you'd be making any claims again anytime soon.
Reply 73
I just don't make claims about things about which I have no knowledge. It's just one of those quirky things I do, bud. Might wanna try it, but then again I don't think you'd be making any claims again anytime soon.

I'm stating an opinion. Is that not allowed anymore?

Please, feel free to argue why law isn't overrated rather than trying to undermine my right to a point of view. You've yet to do that successfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag

Please, feel free to argue why law isn't overrated rather than trying to undermine my right to a point of view. You've yet to do that successfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opinions are like bumholes, everyone's got one, but don't wave it about.
Reply 75
Original post by tehforum
Opinions are like bumholes, everyone's got one, but don't wave it about.

You never answered my original question: why is law not overrated?

The fact that you still haven't answered this is strange.
Original post by justag
You never answered my original question: why is law not overrated?

The fact that you still haven't answered this is strange.

Distill your argument in a few points first please - burden of proof to disprove the assertion is on your side.
Underrated - Psychology. Encompasses advanced stuff like cognitive neurosciences and tons over tons of statistics and research design.
Original post by justag

You haven't studied law, so you have no basis of offering your opinion on its difficulty—an opinion which was offered more as a fact than an opinion. You are all means permitted to express an opinion, but don't expect people to take it or you seriously thereafter.

And my point was not that law isn't overrated. It was that the other poster's argument was flawed. I have expressed my thoughts on this masterfully, I feel, and I should not be revisiting it unless someone wants to challenge it with sophisticated argument. I am not being unfair to you by saying this, but I think perhaps you might want to hand over the reins to someone else. I am sensing all you can offer is ipse-dixit without any meaningful engagement with the nuances of the arguments being presented; maybe someone else has a better recipe for success?
You haven't studied law, so you have no basis of offering your opinion on its difficulty—an opinion which was offered more as a fact than an opinion. You are all means permitted to express an opinion, but don't expect people to take it or you seriously thereafter.

And my point was not that law isn't overrated. It was that the other poster's argument was flawed. I have expressed my thoughts on this masterfully, I feel, and I should not be revisiting it unless someone wants to challenge it with sophisticated argument. I am not being unfair to you by saying this, but I think perhaps you might want to hand over the reins to someone else. I am sensing all you can offer is ipse-dixit without any meaningful engagement with the nuances of the arguments being presented; maybe someone else has a better recipe for success?

Cool post and all, but was the Latin phrase really necessary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending