The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tehforum
Distill your argument in a few points first please - burden of proof to disprove the assertion is on your side.

Already have before, look for it.
Cool post and all, but was the Latin phrase really necessary?

I think it's a nice little phrase and I can't think of any other which would have fit into the sentence so smoothly without sacrificing brevity.
Original post by callum_law
I think it's a nice little phrase and I can't think of any other which would have fit into the sentence so smoothly without sacrificing brevity.

The ability to adapt your language to your audience is key.
Reply 83
You haven't studied law, so you have no basis of offering your opinion on its difficulty—an opinion which was offered more as a fact than an opinion. You are all means permitted to express an opinion, but don't expect people to take it or you seriously thereafter.

And my point was not that law isn't overrated. It was that the other poster's argument was flawed. I have expressed my thoughts on this masterfully, I feel, and I should not be revisiting it unless someone wants to challenge it with sophisticated argument. I am not being unfair to you by saying this, but I think perhaps you might want to hand over the reins to someone else. I am sensing all you can offer is ipse-dixit without any meaningful engagement with the nuances of the arguments being presented; maybe someone else has a better recipe for success?

Not my problem if you misunderstood my opinion and falsely assumed I was asserting a fact. You seem to think very highly of yourself, and despite that still have comprehension issues.

Spouting Latin still isn't an argument either. You've not countered my opinion successfully or my right to hold one.
Reply 84

Lol stop taking yourself so seriously.
Original post by justag

Here's a nice little Latin phrase: ad hominem.
Reply 86

Free country
Original post by justag

Just because your lexicon is that of a frog does not mean I am sat here dour faced. In fact, I am sat here laughing my wee tits off at every futile attempt you make to challenge my superiority.

You both go to the same uni. You should play nicely!
Reply 89
Just because your lexicon is that of a frog does not mean I am sat here dour faced. In fact, I am sat here laughing my wee tits off at every futile attempt you make to challenge my superiority.

Yep, ribbit ribbit.

You're so up yourself lol
You both go to the same uni. You should play nicely!

Warwick stats

Sample size for Law: 155
Sample size for Eng Lit: 110

Class of degree
1st class degree 57% 5%
Upper 2nd class degree 42% 78%
Lower 2nd class degree . More information (Opens new layer): 1% 15%
Other honours / pass without honours . More information (Opens new layer): 0% 1%
Ordinary degree . More information (Opens new layer): 0% 0%
Degree that is not subject to classification . More information (Opens new layer): 0% 0%

57% of English Lit graduates get a 1st; Law has 5%.
I'm laughing.

English Lit is overrated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Warwick stats

Class of degree
1st class degree 57% 5%
Other honours / pass without honours . More information (Opens new layer): 0% 1%
Degree that is not subject to classification . More information (Opens new layer): 0% 0%

I'm laughing.

I think Mr Ribbit might be projecting his own insecurities onto law grads, or anyone else who might listen.

You can't make this stuff up. 52% difference.
Original post by justag
Yep, ribbit ribbit.

You're so up yourself lol

I get that a lot on here. But greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies.
Reply 93
Warwick stats

Class of degree
1st class degree 57% 5%

I'm laughing.

I made no such claims about English lit, so this is meaningless. You're still not arguing why Law isn't overrated by the way. For the third time.
Reply 94
I get that a lot on here. But greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies.

If you say so
Reply 95
I think Mr Ribbit might be projecting his own insecurities onto law grads, or anyone else who might listen.

You can't make this stuff up. 52% difference.

Nah, just bored and on tsr. Pretty much it. I enjoy poking law students who think they're all that :wink:
Reply 96
Over: Law, Medicine
Under: Mathematics.
Original post by justag
I made no such claims about English lit, so this is meaningless. You're still not arguing why Law isn't overrated by the way. For the third time.

I just a general statement which wasn't directly aimed at you.

Anyway, I'll give it a go.

1) "a lot do try and fail to become lawyers"

I'll quote Callum's post and leave it at that.

The point she made was that a) law is overrated because b) it is ridiculously hard to become a solicitor or barrister.

I responded by explaining that the argument made was flawed because a) not everyone who studies law wants to become a lawyer; and b) should people not want to pursue a legal career or they have not been successful in pursuing one, a law degree offers excellent career prospects outside of the legal profession. That directly related to the point the other poster made about the utility of a law degree. What you are suggesting is that I go off on a tangent rather than address the point made

2) "Most people who study law do aim to become lawyers, let's be honest. Many who fail may say they never wanted to in the first place to save face. It's not known to be a particularly interesting degree for the majority; it has a reputation for being dry. Other more interesting alternatives that link more directly to a career in a business environment would be: management, economics, business. If you wanted to work in business and that's your aim, you'd study one of those as they're more directly relevant and most people would consider them more interesting.

There are high expectations of a future high paying career in law for many law applicants. Most don't achieve that. So the fact that a huge number of law students fail to become lawyers, let alone well paid ones, is hugely relevant to the fact it is overrated."

I think you ignore the level of change that can occur in 3 years. To state that law is an overrated degree because people change their mind in not pursuing the law is misguided, precisely for the reasons stated by Callum in the first quote. It's reputation for being dry is irrelevant and has no bearing on whether it is "overrated" or not. You can choose modules which should align to your interests.

Your argument re: working in a business environment is contradictory to your statement that people who study law at the point of entry want to become lawyers. Surely if you wanted to work in a business environment then you'd pursue that from the beginning. Again, Callum's first quote re: transferable skills in other environments is very important.

The assertion that lawyers make lots of money is misguided. Anyone who has done a crumb of research will know that isn't the case, except for the best. This is irrelevant in evaluating whether law is "overrated" since this supposed disbenefit would assumedly be the fault of the applicant rather than the inherent "overrated" nature of studying law.

3) "It's almost discouraged to do an undergrad business degree if you want to do consulting/IB."

You're wrong. They're looking for top degrees e.g. economics, law, history at target universities such as Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge.

4) "In terms of course difficulty it is perceived to be harder than it really is. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake, but there are harder courses out there."

Warwick Law - 5% get a 1st; Warwick English Literature 57%. Next.

5)" In terms of career prospects, the idea of becoming a lawyer is glamorised but the reality is more brutal and getting a job is very difficult compared to other fields."

Where it is being glamorised? In Suits where they're working in Big Law? Irrelevant.
Reply 98
Warwick stats

Class of degree
1st class degree 57% 5%

I'm laughing.

I agree that Eng Lit is BS, but that isn't a good way to determining that. Maths has the highest number of first and it's one of the best/hardest degrees.
Original post by justag
Nah, just bored and on tsr. Pretty much it. I enjoy poking law students who think they're all that :wink:

And you seemingly enjoy being made to look stupid, eh? What a joyous pastime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending