The Student Room Group

any medical students with chronic illness

I'm here as I need to be anon

I'm starting medical school soon. on top of my chronic illnesses, I have some new stuff which is painful that I am going through. I have ongoing investigations which will be now changing to university town doctors.. which is quite stressful in itself.

I feel like I will be the only person in my year who is chronically ill. I feel like I wont get any support of the medical staff. I have seen threads in the past of medical students with CFS and Lupus.

any new or existing medical students in same boat?
Personally I just have allergies (tones of them!) and probably a rheumatic disease (can't go long without knee pain) but one of my medic friends has lupus. She missed quite a few lectures and days due to surgeries, appointments etc
Med schools are really focused on giving as much support to students as they need. If ou ask for help, they won't turn you down
Reply 2
How do you find walking around then 5 days a week full on to lectures etc?
Did you still have these issues when you started med school?

I rang my med school and the admin stuff were not very helpful. I have compulsory stuff right from the go! If I cant make it before hand due to HES appointment or just feeling terrible.. who do I email. Med school told me I had to wait till I start to find out which contacts to email about stuff like this.
Reply 3
and do you have like food allergies???
Do you then have to always cook your own food?
Original post by Anonymous
How do you find walking around then 5 days a week full on to lectures etc?
Did you still have these issues when you started med school?

I rang my med school and the admin stuff were not very helpful. I have compulsory stuff right from the go! If I cant make it before hand due to HES appointment or just feeling terrible.. who do I email. Med school told me I had to wait till I start to find out which contacts to email about stuff like this.

It's not the admin staff you need to contact. Your uni should have a disability support centre?
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
It's not the admin staff you need to contact. Your uni should have a disability support centre?

I did with the latest consultants letter...

I'm just waiting to hear back from them. But they told me they only have control over exam arrangements. ..

Occupational health also fwd my report to med school to let them about my adjustments. Trouble is I have no idea just who in the medical school knows! This is goimg to be fun ...
Reply 6
Original post by Foo.mp3
I've known of one or two medical students with ME/CFS but none who completed their course. It's pretty much the most invasive chronic illness you can get, and takes a heavy toll on cognitive function/fatigue, which renders anything involving complexity/laborious study neigh on impossible unless you happen to be one of the lucky 5% or so who spontaneously recover

It took me 12 years just to do a fairly simple and low contact hours degree in Economics, after 3 failed attempts to make it through the 3 year course plus periods away from studies for R&R. Mind you, I didn't know half of what I do about the illness/my body back then so if I had my time again I expect I could just about crawl through it in 3-5 years

If you have a less intractable chronic health condition then I'd say it depends/try to stay optimistic but if you have ME/CFS, as diagnosed e.g. by contemporary criteria (SEID etc) then I wouldn't get your hopes up. Even if you pass out, life as a junior doctor will floor you unless the regime is extremely flexible to accommodate your illness and fluctuating functionality/energy

Thank your for your informative post foo. I have seen you in the ME thread and you are very well informed about this horrible condition.
I do not have ME/CFS. I have one thing which I recovered from and it doesn't affect me anymore. The cause of that could have been either neurological/inflammatory/idiopathic. It was decided mine was idiopathic.
I have one embarrassing condition and some new stuff that's been happening to me since start of the year and is still under investigation.
Luckily, I already have something as a backup if I cant make it.
But I wont know unless I try but it will be quite tough as I'm at a disadvantage but god's given me a chance and I'm gonna take it and see what happens. But of course, I will be prepared for the worst so I am building up a thick skin!
The admin staff are correct that it will become apparent who you need to contact once term begins. Most medical schools will assign you a personal tutor who you should arrange to meet early on to make them aware of whatever it is they need to know. They can help much more easily when they know about things in advance. If they are not helpful, no-one can accuse you of not having kept everyone in the loop. There will also be someone within the faculty who is responsible for wellbeing, pastoral support, etc. It might be worth making yourself know to them as well but wait until you speak to your personal tutor first.

You presumably satisfied the medical school entrance criteria with these illnesses (?) and so it's difficult for anyone to say that you won't succeed.
Hello, I'm not a medic, but I'm a chemistry student with several chronic conditions. I want to warn you that while the disability centre is helpful, my issue has been with the course lecturers and tutors. I was on a different course last year and one of the main reasons I transferred (same uni, different subject) was because of how useless the teachers were. I made them aware of my illnesses and while they didn't expel me for my lack of attendance or anything like that, they did not help. What I mean is that they wouldn't put any effort in to making sure I was sent the information that others received in class. I didn't expect them to send me an essay for each one hour lecture, but you'd think they'd at least make the lecture slides accessible. Then again, when I came here I had to explain to my new GP what some of my illnesses were as he'd never heard of them! Safe to say I soon went elsewhere.

However, this year has been different. As soon as I made them aware that I've been ill (without mentioning the chronic issues), while chemistry were supportive, they told me to make sure I got lecture notes from a classmate which is quite stupid in my opinion, simply because I obviously don't know anyone yet. However, I am doing some biomedical modules this year and they've actually sent me the lecture slideshows, given me some reading recommendations and the criteria for achieving a first on my written coursework.

Also, I don't know any medical students but a friend of mine has ME/CFS and is halfway through a full time bioscience course. :smile:
Reply 9
Hello, I'm not a medic, but I'm a chemistry student with several chronic conditions. I want to warn you that while the disability centre is helpful, my issue has been with the course lecturers and tutors. I was on a different course last year and one of the main reasons I transferred (same uni, different subject) was because of how useless the teachers were. I made them aware of my illnesses and while they didn't expel me for my lack of attendance or anything like that, they did not help. What I mean is that they wouldn't put any effort in to making sure I was sent the information that others received in class. I didn't expect them to send me an essay for each one hour lecture, but you'd think they'd at least make the lecture slides accessible. Then again, when I came here I had to explain to my new GP what some of my illnesses were as he'd never heard of them! Safe to say I soon went elsewhere.

However, this year has been different. As soon as I made them aware that I've been ill (without mentioning the chronic issues), while chemistry were supportive, they told me to make sure I got lecture notes from a classmate which is quite stupid in my opinion, simply because I obviously don't know anyone yet. However, I am doing some biomedical modules this year and they've actually sent me the lecture slideshows, given me some reading recommendations and the criteria for achieving a first on my written coursework.

Also, I don't know any medical students but a friend of mine has ME/CFS and is halfway through a full time bioscience course. :smile:

Yeah I know what you mean.

I still have to meet the deadlines and catch up on all missed work like everyone else.
I have to MAN UP lol

The med school make it clear though that if u are struggling or falling behind you must COMMUNICATE with leads/personal tutors/support staff.

I'm not sure what to make of the system at the medical school I'm in. On one hand they claim they are supportive, yet on the other it seems not quite the case.

I am just trying the best I can tbh I cant do any more.

tis hard when your battling with ur health and have to get up everyday and get on with life.
I'm here as I need to be anon

I'm starting medical school soon. on top of my chronic illnesses, I have some new stuff which is painful that I am going through. I have ongoing investigations which will be now changing to university town doctors.. which is quite stressful in itself.

I feel like I will be the only person in my year who is chronically ill. I feel like I wont get any support of the medical staff. I have seen threads in the past of medical students with CFS and Lupus.

any new or existing medical students in same boat?

This is possibly a bit of an extension to the subject you are asking but many people who study psychology have a mental illness

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest