The Student Room Group

Typical offers???

The course I want to apply for has their typical offer at AAA-AAB. My target grades are AABC. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to those being targeted AAA?
Original post by Kayb14
The course I want to apply for has their typical offer at AAA-AAB. My target grades are AABC. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to those being targeted AAA?

When a range of offers is quoted, the lower one is for contextual offers only, i.e. for people who are at extremely underachieving schools or who have some other disadvantage. Alway assume the higher offer is the standard one. Therefore you will not be reaching the requirements with those grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
When a range of offers is quoted, the lower one is for contextual offers only, i.e. for people who are at extremely underachieving schools or who have some other disadvantage. Alway assume the higher offer is the standard one. Therefore you will not be reaching the requirements with those grades.

I spoke with a teacher today and they didn't say anything about it being a contextual offer. Do you have any sources?
Original post by Kayb14
I spoke with a teacher today and they didn't say anything about it being a contextual offer. Do you have any sources?

Can't quote anything, just 27 years of sixth form tutoring, Ucas training and talks by university admissions officers as part of my job as a careers teacher. @PQ will be able to quote you chapter and verse when she is around.

edit: First post on Google:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Can't quote anything, just 27 years of sixth form tutoring, Ucas training and talks by university admissions officers as part of my job as a careers teacher. @PQ will be able to quote you chapter and verse when she is around.

edit: First post on Google:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/

Thank you. Even if my target grade is AABC could I still get an offer of AAA? I've heard of that happening
Original post by Kayb14
Thank you. Even if my target grade is AABC could I still get an offer of AAA? I've heard of that happening

Yes, this happens, if they feel like taking a chance with you.
Reply 6
Yes, this happens, if they feel like taking a chance with you.

I'll try to get my teacher to predict me an A instead of a B. Also if I was predicted AABC but applied for something that was ABB would they give me an offer of AAB or ABB? Can they offer you something higher than their typical offer? Sorry If I'm annoying you
Original post by Kayb14
I'll try to get my teacher to predict me an A instead of a B. Also if I was predicted AABC but applied for something that was ABB would they give me an offer of AAB or ABB? Can they offer you something higher than their typical offer? Sorry If I'm annoying you

They can make whatever offers they like, which is why they use words like 'typical' or 'standard' offer. Getting a higher prediction is a two edged sword. If your AS results don't indicate that such a prediction is reasonable, it will do more harm than good. You also have to meet that offer as well as get it.
Reply 8
They can make whatever offers they like, which is why they use words like 'typical' or 'standard' offer. Getting a higher prediction is a two edged sword. If your AS results don't indicate that such a prediction is reasonable, it will do more harm than good. You also have to meet that offer as well as get it.

Is it still worth applying to an AAA course with my predictions? I still have 4 other choices. Thanks for everything
Original post by Kayb14
Is it still worth applying to an AAA course with my predictions? I still have 4 other choices. Thanks for everything

It's only one out of five, so as long as your other four are in line with your achievements and there's a safety net in there, you might as well, since you clearly have your heart set on it. Who knows what might happen?
Reply 10
It's only one out of five, so as long as your other four are in line with your achievements and there's a safety net in there, you might as well, since you clearly have your heart set on it. Who knows what might happen?
thank you for taking the time to answer me.
Original post by Kayb14
thank you for taking the time to answer me.

No prob. It used to be my job and it's hard to stop!
Reply 12
No prob. It used to be my job and it's hard to stop!

Sorry to bother you again. I have been doing some looking around and I'm still confused. On the link you gave to me yesterday it says about contextual offers. I went onto Bristols individual courses and selected Law and the typical offer and contextual offer are clearly stated. However, I went into Exeter's website (http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/policy/) and it states that contextual offers are given out on an indvidual basis as the contextual offer willbe outside of the typical offer range. I then went onto the Law entry requirements where it says the typical offer is AAA-AAB. (http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/law/#Entry-requirements).The topic was also discussed here- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2433133. Does that mean that the typical offer is AAA-AAB and their contextual offer is something else entirely?
Original post by Kayb14
Sorry to bother you again. I have been doing some looking around and I'm still confused. On the link you gave to me yesterday it says about contextual offers. I went onto Bristols individual courses and selected Law and the typical offer and contextual offer are clearly stated. However, I went into Exeter's website (http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/policy/) and it states that contextual offers are given out on an indvidual basis as the contextual offer willbe outside of the typical offer range. I then went onto the Law entry requirements where it says the typical offer is AAA-AAB. (http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/law/#Entry-requirements).The topic was also discussed here- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2433133. Does that mean that the typical offer is AAA-AAB and their contextual offer is something else entirely?

They can give whatever they like as a contextual offer, which is why the offers are labeled as 'typical' or 'standard' and they are a bit vague sometimes to cover themselves. The bottom line is that they can give lower offers if they like the look of you, if you have some especially compelling circumstances which merit special treatment or is you are offering something particularly desirable such as a combination of A levels they want. They will need some reason to give you a lower offer, so you must assume that you will get the higher offer in the absence of any particular reason why they should drop their requirements just for you. You will probably feel better if you call them and ask directly, but be prepared for a vague answer.
Reply 14
They can give whatever they like as a contextual offer, which is why the offers are labeled as 'typical' or 'standard' and they are a bit vague sometimes to cover themselves. The bottom line is that they can give lower offers if they like the look of you, if you have some especially compelling circumstances which merit special treatment or is you are offering something particularly desirable such as a combination of A levels they want. They will need some reason to give you a lower offer, so you must assume that you will get the higher offer in the absence of any particular reason why they should drop their requirements just for you. You will probably feel better if you call them and ask directly, but be prepared for a vague answer.

Thanks, I probably won't call them. Like you said it will probably be vague otherwise it would be on their website.
Reply 15

This doesn't have anything to do with typical offers but it's still something that is worrying me. I've picked up an A-level to be completed in a year so there won't be an AS Grade on my UCAS form. I am also resitting an exam for another subject. Will having not done an AS exam yet make the Universities less likely to give me an offer?
Original post by Kayb14
This doesn't have anything to do with typical offers but it's still something that is worrying me. I've picked up an A-level to be completed in a year so there won't be an AS Grade on my UCAS form. I am also resitting an exam for another subject. Will having not done an AS exam yet make the Universities less likely to give me an offer?

No, that'll be explained in your reference.
Reply 17
No, that'll be explained in your reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending