The Student Room Group

New Sixth Form - Depression

Hi guys,

This year I joined a new sixth form as I had done my GCSES. After lots of interviews I had gained access to an independant school. The teachers are nice, facilities are great but one thing that depresses me are the students. Its been a week at school and I have talked to about 20 different people, of which maybe 4 or 5 have become "friends". However during breaks or free time i am always alone as the externals take different subjects ( i do classics, english lit and philiosphy). So I am always alone, walking to school, walking home, during breaks and I feel very left out. I try to make conversation but people just talk and the next day forget about me. I need some real friends who can accompany and friends who i can open my heart to. Any Tips? I am feeling really depressed and is just 1 step away from crying myself to sleep.

PS. No one from my secondary came.
Sorry to hear you get depressed about friends. You got to learn one thing though dear, friends aren't always going to be there for you. Better to be independent that lean on someone.

:smile:
Start speaking to somne than start to sit in that group.
Try to join some clubs which take place at Sixthform maybe?
Hey, Ik knew exactly what youre going through and Im here to give a little advice. Its also so you dont have to go through what I went through ha :colondollar:

Be yourself and never alter yourself so that others accept you. If its real friends youre looking for, they'll accept the real you. :smile:

Also, try to be independent. Thinking that you need someone all the time, will make you feel horrible. Especially if you don't find anyone.

There is always someone you'll click with, you just need to be patient and open.

Good luck hun :smile:
Original post by hopeless642
Hi guys,

This year I joined a new sixth form as I had done my GCSES. After lots of interviews I had gained access to an independant school. The teachers are nice, facilities are great but one thing that depresses me are the students. Its been a week at school and I have talked to about 20 different people, of which maybe 4 or 5 have become "friends". However during breaks or free time i am always alone as the externals take different subjects ( i do classics, english lit and philiosphy). So I am always alone, walking to school, walking home, during breaks and I feel very left out. I try to make conversation but people just talk and the next day forget about me. I need some real friends who can accompany and friends who i can open my heart to. Any Tips? I am feeling really depressed and is just 1 step away from crying myself to sleep.

Hey. This is only your second week right ? Seriously just relax and don't go looking around desperately to find friends, just make short conversations with people next to you in class and gradually they will be your friends.

Plus don't panic if you don't make friends just think how long you are at college ? 2 years right. and half of that is afternoons off or holidays . At college everyone's main aim is to get fantastic A level grades. You meet your real friends through secondary school and at university or in the workplace.

Just let things happen naturally it did me wonders !! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I understand, i have been socalising a lot by talking to almost anyone that seems friendly but its just the loneliness often gets me as nothing is familiar. Everyone seems to know each other except me and i just feel pitiful. I will keep trying!
Original post by Mashallah
Hey, Ik knew exactly what youre going through and Im here to give a little advice. Its also so you dont have to go through what I went through ha :colondollar:

Be yourself and never alter yourself so that others accept you. If its real friends youre looking for, they'll accept the real you. :smile:

Also, try to be independent. Thinking that you need someone all the time, will make you feel horrible. Especially if you don't find anyone.

There is always someone you'll click with, you just need to be patient and open.

Good luck hun :smile:

This is good advice.
Sounds a lot like me,in fact I felt depressed about it today,I wanted to cry,but try not to beat your self too much it's only the 1st week,you will know the people longer as time moves on, and because of this you would socialize more effectively.
Same thing here!
Dont worry too much. Just give it a couple more weeks and just be yourself. You will find the right type of friends for you. You could just grab a lunch with someone. You can be part of a club or something in your sixth form. Just be yourself :smile:

Original post by hopeless642
Hi guys,

Same with me. I moved from an ordinary secondary school to a sixth form grammar school. I only know 3 people out of 140.

I don't mind being alone though, in secondary school I was alone walking to and home from school, i walked to class alone and sat by myself. Although I knew so many people, I spoke to everyone with the exception of about 25 people. I could talk to anyone at anytime, I joked and had fun, but still worked hard. But at least it's only 2 years, maybe 1. I miss my old school though.

Quick Reply

Latest