The Student Room Group

Get into good unis on results day by phoning them for places available

Can you accept a firm and insurance from UCAS but on results day you phone up other unis to see if there are any places available from people not making the grades. This is an alternative from clearing as you accept the offers you already have but on a-level results day you look for a better option.

I was just wondering if anyone or anyone who knows someone got into a good university (such as lse, imperial , ucl, warwick) for mathematics(and/or economics) by phoning them on results day. Basically, using the method above. As, say i get AAAa, i was just wondering if it could be an option for me as i got rejected from these originally on UCAS.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
None of the Uni's you've mentioned are likely to have spaces available...
Reply 2
I suppose it's always worth a shot, but its a seriously long shot....

Why not just take a gap year and re-apply if your that desperate? Should be that bit easier with the grades in the bag (assuming you get them that is....)
They all get hundreds of straight A applicants anyway so I doubt another straight A applicant with no further information (reference and PS) will be accepted.
Reply 4
Probably a very long shot...

Tazmanmaniac: Have you heard back from LSE or Imperial yet?
sym89
I was just wondering if anyone or anyone who knows someone got into a good university (such as lse, imperial , ucl, warwick) for mathematics(and/or economics) by phoning them on results day. Basically, using the method above. As, say i get AAAa, i was just wondering if it could be an option for me as i got rejected from these originally on UCAS.
Very unlikely they'd be in clearing.

Best you can hope are Nottingham, Manchester and King's (and soton?)
Reply 6
Yeah Kings will take you via clearing... :wink:
Rickard.N
Probably a very long shot...

Tazmanmaniac: Have you heard back from LSE or Imperial yet?

Nope :nn:
Reply 8
tazmanmaniac
Nope :nn:

Man, frustrating :s-smilie: ... I'm still waiting for Mathematics and Economics at LSE, but I believe I have decided to go to Imperial :smile:
I'll probably join you if I get my way, I've talked with a few LSE students the past week or two and it's starting to sound like a hole.
Reply 10
Warwick is a definite no. At an open day i went to they said they over-recruited people last year so i doubt they will take anyone. All the top unis are unlikely to have spare places but the 'good' unis might.
Nottingham, Manchester, King's and soton are in this year's UCAS extra (they were the only good unis I could find for maths). Therefore it's very likely that they'll be in clearing as well. For some reason UCAS had opened Extra for a few hours just a few weeks ago, and that's what they listed.
Reply 12
If this person is gonna achieve AAAa then going to any of those Uni's (Nottingham, Manchester, King's and soton) is gonna be a waste, no?
mpat89
If this person is gonna achieve AAAa then going to any of those Uni's (Nottingham, Manchester, King's and soton) is gonna be a waste, no?

Not really, depends what his priorities are.
Reply 14
mpat89

How is that?
Reply 15
A friend of mine got into Durham to do maths from clearing. And he hadn't done further maths either...
Reply 16
But if you have accepted a firm and insurance you have to go to them. You can't just ring around and see if you can do better on results day. Have I read your post wrong?
Reply 17
tazmanmaniac
Not really, depends what his priorities are.

Well judging by the fact he mentioned LSE, Imperial, UCL & Warwick I'd say it's pretty clear what his priorities are.
Reply 18
andrewsp
But if you have accepted a firm and insurance you have to go to them. You can't just ring around and see if you can do better on results day. Have I read your post wrong?

You could say change your course from like maths and comp sci. to maths and econ, or if your personal circumstances have changed. Thats what my head of 6th Form told me.
andrewsp
Well you're obliged to go to them. But if you want to go to a different uni (through clearing), you should phone them up on results day and ask them to release you. Obviously they don't have to... but they probably will

Latest