The Student Room Group

I really did not think that Steve jobs added much to apple...I've never been so wrong

I use to think that Steve Jobs was an overrated obnoxious business man, who simply stole the achievements of his engineers and other staff. But I have got to be honest everything apple has released since Job's exit has been sub par. Jobs clearly providing a vision for the company and had a unique and valuable ability at knowing (or at least telling) what the consumer wants.

This comes as the recent keynote that apple gave. Would love anyone's thoughts on this!
Original post by Markg125
I use to think that Steve Jobs was an overrated obnoxious business man, who simply stole the achievements of his engineers and other staff. But I have got to be honest everything apple has released since Job's exit has been sub par. Jobs clearly providing a vision for the company and had a unique and valuable ability at knowing (or at least telling) what the consumer wants.

This comes as the recent keynote that apple gave. Would love anyone's thoughts on this!

Hilarious - I don't even know how they have managed to produce two products as awful as the Apple Watch and Apple Pen in such a short time.
Reply 2
Original post by Markg125

There's no question that he was a good businessman, the question is whether he was anywhere as innovative and original as claimed (in many cases the answer is no).
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Hilarious - I don't even know how they have managed to produce two products as awful as the Apple Watch and Apple Pen in such a short time.

LOL
Totes agree
Apple is now a joke, rising prices with increasingly trashy products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Jobs was a businessman, not a creator.
Apple represents everything that is wrong with modern society.

The poisoned apple or the forbidden fruit, a suitable logo me thinks.
Original post by DoNotResuscitate

It's an illuminati conspiracy. The half bitten apple? Adam and Eve? Over priced products that we work all day/night to get?? Funding strikes on the battle for control of the galaxy??
Reply 9
You say that but it was just this year that Apple announced that they had generated their biggest ever first & second quarter profits - surely this means that Apple meeting the needs & wants of customers to some extent? I do, however, agree that Apple perhaps haven't been as innovative since Jobs - the apple pen is quite laughable actually.

Care to elaborate? Or are you simply communist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Care to elaborate? Or are you simply communist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reasons I hate Apple:

-Extortionate prices and huge profit margins, I could understand the prices if they used ethical employment practices and paid the workers in the early stages of production a fair wage but they do not. They are exploiting both the consumer and the people that work for them. I am aware that other technology companies do the same but the aim of using such cheap labor is to reduce the costs for the consumer, though it still does not make it acceptable.

-Chinese sweatshops. Appalling work conditions lead many to suicide and many have experienced serious health problems as a result of the environment the are exposed to.

-Technology patents. This hinders the advancement in technology because it stops others accessing it. The also steal other companies technology then patent that too. Samsung also make a large percentage of the components for Apple products.

-I dislike consumerism and Apple is the epitome of consumerism. Apple fuels this destructive desire in people to constantly have the latest this, the latest that by releasing a product that is slightly different to the last every ten minutes. Apple breeds greed.

-The kinda people that buy Apple products also irritate me because people become so image obsessed. The whole sense of superiority and this need to fit in with everybody else and have Apple products saddens me. This whole queuing outside a store for days thing is also ridiculous.

-The closed nature of the products. Once you buy one Apple product you need to buy more and you are limited to using the software, apps etc.

-Repair costs. Oh no you can't just go ahead and buy a new battery or whatever, you have to get a licensed Apple repairer to fix it and they will charge you an arm and a leg for it.
Reasons I hate Apple:

-Extortionate prices and huge profit margins, I could understand the prices if they used ethical employment practices and paid the workers in the early stages of production a fair wage but they do not. They are exploiting both the consumer and the people that work for them. I am aware that other technology companies do the same but the aim of using such cheap labor is to reduce the costs for the consumer, though it still does not make it acceptable.

So I was going down the right path with the guess on communism. So why is it Apple your grudge is against when like you said other companies do what they do? Their prices are extortionate in your opinion; millions of people believe their products represent value for money, hence why they sold 9 million iPhone 6's in one weekend.

-Chinese sweatshops. Appalling work conditions lead many to suicide and many have experienced serious health problems as a result of the environment the are exposed to.

Like you said above, others also do this as do a lot of other companies outside of technology. Sweatshops, in many countries, actually pay better than the alternative job employees would have.

-Technology patents. This hinders the advancement in technology because it stops others accessing it. The also steal other companies technology then patent that too. Samsung also make a large percentage of the components for Apple products.

So you have an issue with intellectual property in general? If Apple make something why should everyone be allowed to copy it. The point of a patent isn't to make profit but to recoup the money you spent in developing the product. So because Samsung components are in Apple products you hate them?

-I dislike consumerism and Apple is the epitome of consumerism. Apple fuels this destructive desire in people to constantly have the latest this, the latest that by releasing a product that is slightly different to the last every ten minutes. Apple breeds greed.

Apple may fuel it but that is intrinsic in human beings. Humans are generally materialistic. If it wasn't Apple it would be someone else and that to me says the 'fault' (as you see it) lies within humans not the company

-The kinda people that buy Apple products also irritate me because people become so image obsessed. The whole sense of superiority and this need to fit in with everybody else and have Apple products saddens me. This whole queuing outside a store for days thing is also ridiculous.

I've had three iPhones and I am not remotely obsessed with Apple. I think iPads are pointless, anyone with a 'smart watch' of any variety is a tool, I think macs are too expensive and I don't even know what Apple TV does. The number of people who are massive enthusiasts, who queue for days represent a tiny minority of Apple customers, just as ISIS represents a tiny number of Muslims by comparison.

-The closed nature of the products. Once you buy one Apple product you need to buy more and you are limited to using the software, apps etc.

That's simply good business sense. If you own an android phone are you not also confined to their OS and apps?

-Repair costs. Oh no you can't just go ahead and buy a new battery or whatever, you have to get a licensed Apple repairer to fix it and they will charge you an arm and a leg for it.

This is the one thing we will agree on. Apple are extortionate when it comes to fixing things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Haha, only like two people actual addressed my reason for this post. Thanks guys! Is it actually possible to discuss apple without some internal war breaking out between supposed fan boys/ PC master race?!?!?!?!
" If you see a stylus, they blew it" - Steve Jobs, 2010.

What's the difference? All Apple products are crap.
Every new Iphone uses technology which is 2 years old for Android.
Want extra storage? Nope, no ten quid memory card for you, pay an extra £100 for the Iphone with more storage.
Want to change your dead battery? Off to the genius bar with you *******.

Jobs was an excellent businessman and that business was not technology but marketing. Just like the founder of McDonalds said
“Ladies and gentlemen, I’m not in the hamburger business. My business is real estate.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending