The Student Room Group

Chemistry at Durham or Medicine at Liverpool - what's the more respected degree?

I might be faced with this option in a few months.So which degree is more respected in your opinion a Chemistry degree from Durham or a degree in Medicine from Liverpool?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine obviously. Why ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I think that they cannot be compared. Medicine of any description is highly respected, as is chemistry at a top university- they are courses requiring a different set of skills.
You should not be choosing between the degrees based on which is more respected, only on which you would honestly be happy to commit to- they are too demanding otherwise :smile:
For "respect" etc it would be Medicine @ Liverpool.
If you're comparing them on the basis of their reputation, I don't think you should go for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
If you're comparing them on the basis of their reputation, I don't think you should go for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? Please expand.
Original post by Mary Margaret
Why? Please expand.

You don't study medicine because it's "well respected." You do it because you want to become a doctor and truly couldn't imagine any other career.
Reply 7
Why? Please expand.

Because the medicine application process is incredibly gruelling, the course is highly demanding, and competition is high- you need to be completely committed to it. The majority of medicine applicants have wanted to do it for many years, and have been doing hospital/ work experience to ensure that it is the career for them.
If you are honestly not fussed about whether to do medicine or chemistry, then you may not have the same level of commitment, or certainty about the career. Medicine is not just about being academic, and it is very career focussed :smile:
Whether you have done a reputable degree will not be the thing which drives you through medical school
Original post by mollyxrose
You don't study medicine because it's "well respected." You do it because you want to become a doctor and truly couldn't imagine any other career.

People go into medicine or my other career for a whole variety of reasons.
Original post by MatureStudent36
People go into medicine or my other career for a whole variety of reasons.

I wasn't trying to suggest they're the only two reasons - what I meant is that they should be the main reasons someone wants to study medicine in my opinion,
Definitely Medicine at Liverpool, with that being said they are two different degrees and can't be compared.
I might be faced with this option in a few months.So which degree is more respected in your opinion a Chemistry degree from Durham or a degree in Medicine from Liverpool?

If it were Chemistry at Oxford, that would be a closer call, but I'd still choose Medicine at Liverpool. I am not quite sure what you had in mind with Durham, it is hardly prestigious for Chemistry.
I wasn't trying to suggest they're the only two reasons - what I meant is that they should be the main reasons someone wants to study medicine in my opinion,

In your opinion. It's an opinion I happen to agree with as you should have a passion in a job. But I've met people who hate the career they've fallen into but are more than capable of doing it.
Original post by MatureStudent36
In your opinion. It's an opinion I happen to agree with as you should have a passion in a job. But I've met people who hate the career they've fallen into but are more than capable of doing it.

Of course, you can be a great doctor even if you do hate your career. My argument was more for the sake of this thread - I think OP would be applying for the wrong reasons if they're just looking to study a well respected degree. Especially since the medicine application process is so rigorous and the admissions teams are looking for applicants with genuine passion.
Of course, you can be a great doctor even if you do hate your career. My argument was more for the sake of this thread - I think OP would be applying for the wrong reasons if they're just looking to study a well respected degree. Especially since the medicine application process is so rigorous and the admissions teams are looking for applicants with genuine passion.

My mistake then. I agree completely what you say.
Only a complete fool would choose Chemistry at Durham over Medicine anywhere in the UK, unless they really did not want to become a doctor.
Original post by King of the Ring
Only a complete fool would choose Chemistry at Durham over Medicine anywhere in the UK, unless they really did not want to become a doctor.

Wow! Looks like I've been told! Haha! Thanks for your bluntness.:smile:

More views are welcome.
Why is this even being compared.

If you want to do medicine, do medicine.

If you want to do Chemistry, do Chemistry.

It couldnt be easier, the University doesnt even come into question.
Wow! Looks like I've been told! Haha! Thanks for your bluntness.:smile:

More views are welcome.

Durham isn't even on a level close to KCL, let alone UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge. Why would you think doing Chemistry at Durham is prestigious? I wish you said Oxford or Imperial, at least that would have made a tougher choice, but Medicine would still come top for prestige (just).
Original post by King of the Ring
Durham isn't even on a level close to KCL, let alone UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge. Why would you think doing Chemistry at Durham is prestigious? I wish you said Oxford or Imperial, at least that would have made a tougher choice, but Medicine would still come top for prestige (just).

Thanks for your comments. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending