The Student Room Group

Thinking Of Joining The Army

Well, since I have lost interest in pursuing a political career I have considered joining the army as a Legal Officer. I have looked at the British Army website and it appears you can become a Major within five years, which is cool.

Any idea what the salary would be? And would I get to fight and kill?
Reply 1
Yuuuuuuusssss!!!
Original post by OohBurn
Yuuuuuuusssss!!!

Your point?
Reply 3
Original post by The Dictator

And would I get to fight and kill?

as a legal officer no. You've also worded that horrendously
Reply 4
Your point?

Well as Shia Labouf would say "JUST DO IT! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE."
Well, since I have lost interest in pursuing a political career I have considered joining the army as a Legal Officer. I have looked at the British Army website and it appears you can become a Major within five years, which is cool.

Any idea what the salary would be? And would I get to fight and kill?

So on appointment, you are automatically given the rank of captain which is paid at £39,236pa initially and rises to £46,660 with length of service. Major starts at £49,424pa and rises to £59,191pa. Not bad.
Original post by callum_law
So on appointment, you are automatically given the rank of captain which is paid at £39,236pa initially and rises to £46,660 with length of service. Major starts at £49,424pa and rises to £59,191pa. Not bad.

Would it be more or less than a civilian lawyer? (Obviously I'm sure higher-end lawyers would be worth more but what about on average?).
Would it be more or less than a civilian lawyer? (Obviously I'm sure higher-end lawyers would be worth more but what about on average?).

It depends on firm, as you note. Average solicitor earns about £35,000, so you'd be automatically £4000 above the average once you are commissioned as a legal officer. Junior solicitors at your average high street firm aren't going to be earning anywhere near £35,000.
It depends on firm, as you note. Average solicitor earns about £35,000, so you'd be automatically £4000 above the average once you are commissioned as a legal officer. Junior solicitors at your average high street firm aren't going to be earning anywhere near £35,000.

Excellent. So we're off to a good start.
Excellent. So we're off to a good start.

Besides the money, you also get to take part in bolloxing the regular soldiers. That'll be fun.
Besides the money, you also get to take part in bolloxing the regular soldiers. That'll be fun.

And banging them as well perhaps :smile:

Depends how desperate they are to get out of a court-martial.

Depends how desperate they are to get out of a court-martial.

The level of cluelessness here is astounding
Original post by tim_123
The level of cluelessness here is astounding

And your inability to recognise humour is nauseating.
Keep it relevant please chaps.
We're assuming you'll have all the requisite qualifications for the Branch:

"You must be a barrister, solicitor or advocate qualified in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. "

Quick Reply

Latest