The Student Room Group

Geography and Economics degree with lower AS Geog Grade

So I want to do Geog and Economics at Uni next year and for AS I got ABCC with a B in Maths and a C in Geography 😩😩 *cries*
This means that my predicted grades are more than likely going to be A*AB or AAB on UCAS.
However, I was not expecting to do so badly in Geography (got a D in unit 1 and an A in unit 2) considering I was consistently getting As throughout the year and was predicted an A.
So I was just wondering whether this affect uni offers for me. Do unis look at GCSE grades because I did amazing in my GCSEs and got an A* in Geography GCSE. I will definitely be resitting unit 1 to hopefully get full UMS and if I state this on UCAS, will unis look down on me?

Unis that are currently on my UCAS are:
UCL : A*AA with A* in maths & A in Geog (might remove this one)
Birmingham : AAA to include A in Geog
SOAS : AAB
Reading : ABB - BBB
Northampton :BBC - BCC
I really want to go to Birmingham but I'm not sure with my C in Geography. My teacher still thinks I can get an A overall, and was shocked that I didn't get it in AS but I doubt I'll be predicted that A.

Sorry if this is long winded or if it has grammatical errors, doing this on my tablet! But thanks in advance ☺️☺️☺️
Original post by _kayjanae
So I want to do Geog and Economics at Uni next year and for AS I got ABCC with a B in Maths and a C in Geography 😩😩 *cries*
This means that my predicted grades are more than likely going to be A*AB or AAB on UCAS.
However, I was not expecting to do so badly in Geography (got a D in unit 1 and an A in unit 2) considering I was consistently getting As throughout the year and was predicted an A.
So I was just wondering whether this affect uni offers for me. Do unis look at GCSE grades because I did amazing in my GCSEs and got an A* in Geography GCSE. I will definitely be resitting unit 1 to hopefully get full UMS and if I state this on UCAS, will unis look down on me?

Unis that are currently on my UCAS are:
UCL : A*AA with A* in maths & A in Geog (might remove this one)
Birmingham : AAA to include A in Geog
SOAS : AAB
Reading : ABB - BBB
Northampton :BBC - BCC
I really want to go to Birmingham but I'm not sure with my C in Geography. My teacher still thinks I can get an A overall, and was shocked that I didn't get it in AS but I doubt I'll be predicted that A.

Sorry if this is long winded or if it has grammatical errors, doing this on my tablet! But thanks in advance ☺️☺️☺️

You can certainly try applying with those grades, although I can't promise that you'll get offers from Birmingham or UCL because that C in Geography is a problem. Having said that, I've seen people with worse AS grades than you getting offers from AAA universities so it's not impossible. Very good GCSE results will definitely act in your favour although AS results will always be more important. If you can get predicted an A in Geography, it may be helpful - it probably won't make a massive difference but some universities do auto-reject people whose predicted grades don't fulfill the entry requirements. I don't know if UCL or Birmingham do this, you might want to send them an email to ask if your application would be competitive (particularly for UCL).

If you do get offers, I'd expect them not to be lenient if you miss the grades so definitely do try your hardest to make sure you get an A in Geography at A2 (you probably will have to resit units at AS). If you don't get offers from Birmingham/UCL/etc then you've got a choice between going to one of the other universities you've applied for (which is absolutely fine) or deferring and making an A2 application if it turns out that you get really great A2 results, because that would put you in a stronger position to apply to these higher ranking universities. Having said that, I only suggest you do this if you were planning to take a year out anyway because otherwise you're potentially just wasting a year of your time.

So to conclude, I think it's possible that you'll get offers from your top two choices but I don't know how big that possibility is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending