The Student Room Group

English Literature A2 - WW1 Romance Novels

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good WW1 romance novels? I am doing WW1 in general for this A2 and wanted to do some wider reading in the romance genre specifically. Any WW1 novel recommendations that are written from a female perspective are more than welcome too!!
Original post by mollylyons
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good WW1 romance novels? I am doing WW1 in general for this A2 and wanted to do some wider reading in the romance genre specifically. Any WW1 novel recommendations that are written from a female perspective are more than welcome too!!

The Regeneration series are good (although from a male perspective) - the entire trilogy has romantic connotations throughout.
Birdsong is also good (but the Romance kind of dies out half way through) - again from a male perspective though.
I hope this is helpful - I realise that these novels are quite generic, but I am also using Regeneration for my coursework and find that there is quite a lot of material that can be used. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 1998RF
The Regeneration series are good (although from a male perspective) - the entire trilogy has romantic connotations throughout.
Birdsong is also good (but the Romance kind of dies out half way through) - again from a male perspective though.
I hope this is helpful - I realise that these novels are quite generic, but I am also using Regeneration for my coursework and find that there is quite a lot of material that can be used. :smile:

Thank you! I have read Birdsong and loved it! It is a shame that Stephen and Isabelle's relationship died out in the end. And I have just purchased Regeneration and intend on starting it after October half term - I will let you know what I think!
Reply 3
I did Birdsong for my coursework at AS and I also enjoyed it, and Regeneration was good as well. You might like A Farewell To Arms, which is a male perspective but interesting, as the relationship shown in it is quite a strange one. A Testament of Youth is from a female perspective, and it's quite a long one so it might be a good one to dip in and out from. There is also a film of it, but I wouldn't recommend just relying on that.
Original post by mollylyons
Thank you! I have read Birdsong and loved it! It is a shame that Stephen and Isabelle's relationship died out in the end. And I have just purchased Regeneration and intend on starting it after October half term - I will let you know what I think!

I loved Birdsong too - Regeneration is (in my opinion) amazing - please let me know if you liked it. Have you read All Quiet on the Western Front? That is my favourite World War One book.
I hated A Farewell to Arms. Most silliest WW1 novel, I've ever read! I did like the Regeneration trilogy because homosexuality isn't really discussed that much in other WW1 novels.

All Quiet on the Western Front is also a great novel.

The Soldier is supposed to be good too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending