The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni Of Toronto with A-Levels

GCSES: AAAAAABBBC
AS Levels: Media (A) Religious Studies (A) History (B) English (B)
A2 Prediction: A*A*B/A*A*A With Media, RS, English Lit.

I was wondering how the application process worked, I found the website overwhelming and so would appreciate any advice with applying as I'm also currently doing my UCAS application for British universities. I plan on doing Political Science or Political Science and Economics, but I think they might want Maths at A Level for Economics, not sure. Any response or links to information would be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SAAME HERE! I'm doing the UK system of Alevels and would like to know how the OUAC application works as its completely new to me. I was hoping to apply to UFT Life Sciences program. Like what is the procedure? And do we need to send in our mid term reports? what if we are applying before they give it?
If you are both UK applicants just be aware that you will have to fund this yourselves - overseas fees, maintenance, and air-fares. Student Finance in the UK will not fund overseas study.
Reply 3
Original post by sydneybridge
If you are both UK applicants just be aware that you will have to fund this yourselves - overseas fees, maintenance, and air-fares. Student Finance in the UK will not fund overseas study.

what are maintenance fees and air-fares?.--.
I live in Dubai,UAE and doing the UK curriculum of Alevels but I have a Canadian PR. Do they still apply to me?
Reply 4
Original post by fayella9
what are maintenance fees and air-fares?.--.
I live in Dubai,UAE and doing the UK curriculum of Alevels but I have a Canadian PR. Do they still apply to me?

No what he's saying is that because I'm a UK student, I should think about how to pay for the university, and how I should pay for the trip to Canada. This is because in the UK we get Student Loans to attend British Unis, as far as I know this only applies to British citizens in the country. However, that would not be the case with you since you live in the UAE. You would obviously have to pay and finance for everything yourself (unless you had a scholarship of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sydneybridge

Thanks for taking it into consideration, but finances aren't exactly my biggest problem, I'm wondering more about how to apply and get an offer first:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mxlik
Thanks for taking it into consideration, but finances aren't exactly my biggest problem, I'm wondering more about how to apply and get an offer first:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you actually contacted the University to ask what the process is for UK students?

Honestly, if you haven't even shown the initiative to do that they you likely aren't bright enough to get an offer anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by mackemforever
Have you actually contacted the University to ask what the process is for UK students?

Honestly, if you haven't even shown the initiative to do that they you likely aren't bright enough to get an offer anyway.

Lol, of course I have, in fact I contacted them 2 weeks in advance before posting this and I figured out the grades they require, and all additional information needed for international students. However, I wouldn't of posted this had they responded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mackemforever

I don't think you're bright enough to read that we are INTERNATIONAL students. Contacting the uni for us is difficult as some don't even have a proper email system like Mac and UFT has got email IDs I can contact buut they aren't for our queries. Like seriously I've been emailing these unis since last year and their replies were 'we are not the right person to ask' and then when I ask for the email of the right person-no answer.
Aand as for the contact number, I have tried that either but nobody picks up and if they do the connection is so unclear its pointless to even make international calls unless its skype here.
Reply 9
Original post by mxlik
No what he's saying is that because I'm a UK student, I should think about how to pay for the university, and how I should pay for the trip to Canada. This is because in the UK we get Student Loans to attend British Unis, as far as I know this only applies to British citizens in the country. However, that would not be the case with you since you live in the UAE. You would obviously have to pay and finance for everything yourself (unless you had a scholarship of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo. Makes so much sense! Thankyou c: yeah finance isn't an issue for me either. Like I won't think of UFT it was like. And hey! You do need maths alevel in every uni in canadaa. I have a friend wanting to do economics in unis in Canada and he's found all those requirements. Some uni though just need our gcse grades? Oh and hey which exam board are you doing/did? Edexcel/AQA/Cambridge?
Aand since you're prolly the only person I've found who has the same issue as me, I'm going to apologise beforehand for butting in your thread :3

Aand are you only applying to UFT in canada? Because like the UCAS, there's a general applications to center in canada, called the OUAC. It's only for universities in ontario. They opened the accounts for fall 2016 :smile: ive judt submitted/paid that application last night. It's basically you choose which uni and progeam you want then they send the details to the unis and the unis contact you directly with log in details to their specific website. So if you'd like to apply to other unis in ontario you could use that.

Hope this helps x
Reply 10
Ooo. Makes so much sense! Thankyou c: yeah finance isn't an issue for me either. Like I won't think of UFT it was like. And hey! You do need maths alevel in every uni in canadaa. I have a friend wanting to do economics in unis in Canada and he's found all those requirements. Some uni though just need our gcse grades? Oh and hey which exam board are you doing/did? Edexcel/AQA/Cambridge?
Aand since you're prolly the only person I've found who has the same issue as me, I'm going to apologise beforehand for butting in your thread :3

Aand are you only applying to UFT in canada? Because like the UCAS, there's a general applications to center in canada, called the OUAC. It's only for universities in ontario. They opened the accounts for fall 2016 :smile: ive judt submitted/paid that application last night. It's basically you choose which uni and progeam you want then they send the details to the unis and the unis contact you directly with log in details to their specific website. So if you'd like to apply to other unis in ontario you could use that.

Hope this helps x

Sorry for butting in but i wanted to ask what should we write in the activites section of OUAC? someone told me that its for students who took a gap year..
Original post by mm0123
Sorry for butting in but i wanted to ask what should we write in the activites section of OUAC? someone told me that its for students who took a gap year..

of course not! It doesn't mention anything about gap year over there so I highly doubt it. It's just extra circular activities? Like I put in my doctor shadowing programs I did over summer, summer jobs and all the volunteering I have done as community service..like I know UFT or others don't look much at extra circulars but unis like waterloo base most of their scholarship programs. Hope this helpss x
Original post by mxlik
GCSES: AAAAAABBBC
AS Levels: Media (A) Religious Studies (A) History (B) English (B)
A2 Prediction: A*A*B/A*A*A With Media, RS, English Lit.

I was wondering how the application process worked, I found the website overwhelming and so would appreciate any advice with applying as I'm also currently doing my UCAS application for British universities. I plan on doing Political Science or Political Science and Economics, but I think they might want Maths at A Level for Economics, not sure. Any response or links to information would be helpful.

It looks pretty straight forward to me.
http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/internationalstudents/admissions
What part do you need help with? Not that I'm supremely knowledgeable, but I'm a first year student and I've never had problems contacting people at this school. But then, I'm not good at phones and I'm too impatient for email. So I go in person.
Original post by Canucked
It looks pretty straight forward to me.
http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/internationalstudents/admissions
What part do you need help with? Not that I'm supremely knowledgeable, but I'm a first year student and I've never had problems contacting people at this school. But then, I'm not good at phones and I'm too impatient for email. So I go in person.

For transferring from the Uk Curriculum, is the adjustment hard to UFT life sciences? And how long does it take for UFT to get back once uve sent the OUAC application?
For transferring from the Uk Curriculum, is the adjustment hard to UFT life sciences? And how long does it take for UFT to get back once uve sent the OUAC application?

I did my last years of school in Canada, so I don't know the adjustment to UofT. I did experience culture shock moving here but going from the British School system to the Ontario School system wasn't a big problem. Usually the people with the best grades get acceptance letters earliest. January earliest. Most people know by around March or April.
I did my last years of school in Canada, so I don't know the adjustment to UofT. I did experience culture shock moving here but going from the British School system to the Ontario School system wasn't a big problem. Usually the people with the best grades get acceptance letters earliest. January earliest. Most people know by around March or April.

Do you know any friends who have done the UK curriculum and went to UFT? Would you say it was easier or harder than the people joining from canadian schools? like see I know the canadian system focuses on essay writing alot, and well in the UK system, we barely have that unless we have a coursework and its required, but thats like a once a year thing? I'm scared about that only tbh for adjusting
Do you know any friends who have done the UK curriculum and went to UFT? Would you say it was easier or harder than the people joining from canadian schools? like see I know the canadian system focuses on essay writing alot, and well in the UK system, we barely have that unless we have a coursework and its required, but thats like a once a year thing? I'm scared about that only tbh for adjusting

You can practice writing essays on your own time. Yes, Canada does focus on essay writing. But essays sound a lot scarier than they are. They start with teaching the "hamburger paragraph" first. Then basic essay writing. Like descriptive. You'd use that for a small field trip or talking about what you did during summer holidays. You'd come back and describe the field trip, what you saw and the experience and anything else relevant. Moving from there to cause-event-effect essays.

Then the essays start to take on more form. Such as expository essays which are just an explanation on a topic or theme. You make a thesis statement/question in the first paragraph. In the next paragraph/s you provide supporting evidence but careful not to make a list. Then create a closing statement in the last paragraph that reiterates the thesis statement/question. I like to provide three pieces of supporting evidence for my thesis. If it's just a short concise essay, I'll manage to jam all three into one paragraph. But typically essays are long enough that each supporting evidence requires it's own hamburger paragraph.

Anyway, there are also persuasive essays and analytical essays and argumentative essays. When assigned an essay, be sure to know what the purpose of the essay is. From there, you can find all the information online on how to write the type of essay you need. Plus, UofT has free writing workshops and tutorial help available for free. Just show up and take the help you need.

Essays definitely aren't something to be worried about. I remember it sounding scary but it really isn't. I promise.
You can practice writing essays on your own time. Yes, Canada does focus on essay writing. But essays sound a lot scarier than they are. They start with teaching the "hamburger paragraph" first. Then basic essay writing. Like descriptive. You'd use that for a small field trip or talking about what you did during summer holidays. You'd come back and describe the field trip, what you saw and the experience and anything else relevant. Moving from there to cause-event-effect essays.

Then the essays start to take on more form. Such as expository essays which are just an explanation on a topic or theme. You make a thesis statement/question in the first paragraph. In the next paragraph/s you provide supporting evidence but careful not to make a list. Then create a closing statement in the last paragraph that reiterates the thesis statement/question. I like to provide three pieces of supporting evidence for my thesis. If it's just a short concise essay, I'll manage to jam all three into one paragraph. But typically essays are long enough that each supporting evidence requires it's own hamburger paragraph.

Anyway, there are also persuasive essays and analytical essays and argumentative essays. When assigned an essay, be sure to know what the purpose of the essay is. From there, you can find all the information online on how to write the type of essay you need. Plus, UofT has free writing workshops and tutorial help available for free. Just show up and take the help you need.

Essays definitely aren't something to be worried about. I remember it sounding scary but it really isn't. I promise.

thankyouuuuuu soo much! And how are these 'quizzes'? Like i keep hearing about it...in all honestly I have never had a quiz which was marked..like what does a quiz mean? like a written quiz which is basically a simple test?
thankyouuuuuu soo much! And how are these 'quizzes'? Like i keep hearing about it...in all honestly I have never had a quiz which was marked..like what does a quiz mean? like a written quiz which is basically a simple test?

It's a small test, not worth much in the grand scheme of things. Typically the questions aren't particularly hard but if you can't answer them, it's an indication that you need to study harder. I view them as an early warning for students that are falling behind.
ANyone have any idea as to what kind of A level grades one needs to study at toronto or UBC. My GCSE grades are A*,A*,A*,A*,A,A,A,A,A,A,

Quick Reply

Latest