The Student Room Group

Can i get into a good american university with these grades?

Hey guys im new here and was just wandering if i could get admitted in a good american university like NYU, University Of Chicago or preferably an ivy league like Upenn with my grades. I got 2 A's, 4B's and 3C's in my GCSE's( one C was in islamiyat, will that count?).My expected A level grades are AAB with an A in maths and computing and B in economics, i also scored a 2250 on my SAT. I also took 2 SAT subject tests, scored a 730 and a 740.
Original post by Furiouspeete
Hey guys im new here and was just wandering if i could get admitted in a good american university like NYU, University Of Chicago or preferably an ivy league like Upenn with my grades. I got 2 A's, 4B's and 3C's in my GCSE's( one C was in islamiyat, will that count?).My expected A level grades are AAB with an A in maths and computing and B in economics, i also scored a 2250 on my SAT. I also took 2 SAT subject tests, scored a 730 and a 740.

For the Ivies, your A-levels are probably below average as each of them are going to have a few hundred places and a few thousand applicants, most of whom will have straight As and A*s at A-level or equivalent and all the appropriate extracurriculars, leadership etc. I'm not sure about the SAT but I seem to recall that a minimum of 2200 is advisable so you're slightly above the threshold there.
Reply 2
I am in the schools debating team, football team and Art community. I have also done several internships and have good letters of recommendation from my professors, Will these things increase my chances for admission? Do american universities take GCSE's into account when shortlisting candidates? How much waitage is given to them? Do i have a good chance of getting accepted in other universities like NYU or should i retake SAT?
I am in the schools debating team, football team and Art community. I have also done several internships and have good letters of recommendation from my professors, Will these things increase my chances for admission? Do american universities take GCSE's into account when shortlisting candidates? How much waitage is given to them? Do i have a good chance of getting accepted in other universities like NYU or should i retake SAT?

I honestly don't know about it in that much detail. I've only been lurking on the 'Studying in North America' forum for a week or two and the things I said are what I've absorbed from doing so. :colondollar: I recommend that you check the website of the Fulbright Commission, though. They have detailed guidance for UK students applying to American universities.

Don't think IBs are likely tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Even then, if you're applying to Ivy's, no one even has a 3.8, it's more like 4.0+ because of AP's and stuff. Or, they'll take community college classes WHILE in highschool... OP just wont cut it for Ivy leagues.. Tbh, i don't think UCLA would take him either....
Try something in Arizona? :/
The kids who take community college classes in high school have less chances getting in to the prestigious universities(these schools much prefer AP and IB)

If the high schooler's school was on a weighted grading system (to 4.5) these universities would be expecting at least 4.2 GPAS and higher. A 4.0 weighted gpa doesn't cut it

Like people have said above, your SATs are fine but you have a poor academic record and USA unis greatly value extracurricular activities as well. Even if you had wonderful ones, you probably still wouldn't get accepted with that low academic score unless you found a cure for cancer or something of the sort
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah, you could get in with a 3.7 if you were like Native American or something. I applied with a 4.3, tons of EC, and I was waitlisted, only to get rejected some 2 weeks later. OP WILL NOT get in based on his scores- moreso because OP is international.
Reply 8
Original post by Diane_xx
The kids who take community college classes in high school have less chances getting in to the prestigious universities(these schools much prefer AP and IB)

If the high schooler's school was on a weighted grading system (to 4.5) these universities would be expecting at least 4.2 GPAS and higher. A 4.0 weighted gpa doesn't cut it

Like people have said above, your SATs are fine but you have a poor academic record and USA unis greatly value extracurricular activities as well. Even if you had wonderful ones, you probably still wouldn't get accepted with that low academic score unless you found a cure for cancer or something of the sort

That's not true. My brother didn't take a SINGLE AP class, and just did CP throughout Highschool, while doing community classes. He graduated with an Associates right out of highschool and now he's a 3rd year at Harvard.
Really? That's rather unusual as I was always told by former officers (who became our high school advisors) that they never preferred it generally speaking, as they were much easier. Of course you can show you were challenged by taking those community college classes and purposely didn't take those classes just to slack off , but many who do dual enrollment tend to get easy As
Your SAT score does even things out slightly and as a result you could probably get into a big ten state university such as UC Santa Barbara or UIUC
this is entirely different but help me out if you can.can i proceed to ib with a B or an A in english, and A or A* in the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending