The Student Room Group

Does re-starting A levels rule me out from undergrad Medicine?

I know most med schools have the re-sit policy that A-levels must be completed within two years. I'm just wondering if my situation fits that policy or not:
I started AS levels last year (September 2014), but after getting my results in August decided to entirely re-sit and start fresh in September in order to get the grades I deserve. I'm currently 2 weeks into the new AS course. Does this mean that technically my A levels (once completed in 2017) will have taken me 3 years to complete? Or since I started fresh in 2015 does that leave me in the 2 year bracket?

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.
If you take 3 years to complete an a level it doesn't count. You need to complete the subjects within 1/2 years.

In other words, if you're retaking the year with the same subjects, unless you have extenuating circumstances, you won't be considered.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
If you take 3 years to complete an a level it doesn't count. You need to complete the subjects within 1/2 years.

In other words, if you're retaking the year with the same subjects, unless you have extenuating circumstances, you won't be considered.

I know that applicants need to have completed A levels within two years. I'm assuming that retaking the year does mean my A-levels (once completed) would have taken three years and so I wouldn't be considered, however wanted some clarification.
I'm not sure how it would work, surely they wouldn't exactly know that you resat the first year if you just put in your AS results. Also, even with resitting a whole year rather than just one subject, surely you should be okay as if you do well over the two year you've technically done it in two years?

Obviously someone tell me if wrong but its just how I assume the system works
Reply 4
Original post by Tony_LeaS
I'm not sure how it would work, surely they wouldn't exactly know that you resat the first year if you just put in your AS results. Also, even with resitting a whole year rather than just one subject, surely you should be okay as if you do well over the two year you've technically done it in two years?

Obviously someone tell me if wrong but its just how I assume the system works

That's exactly what I'm thinking - I'm not sure whether the fact that I'm entirely resitting the year doing the new AS/A level course would technically mean I'd be completing my A levels in two years. Glad I'm not the only one confused!
Original post by mollyxrose
That's exactly what I'm thinking - I'm not sure whether the fact that I'm entirely resitting the year doing the new AS/A level course would technically mean I'd be completing my A levels in two years. Glad I'm not the only one confused!

If anything a friend of mine did her A Levels over three years, resitting her first year entirely and that didn't stop her from getting onto a medical degree so I assume you will be fine. Check with universities prior applying I say.
Reply 6
Original post by Tony_LeaS
If anything a friend of mine did her A Levels over three years, resitting her first year entirely and that didn't stop her from getting onto a medical degree so I assume you will be fine. Check with universities prior applying I say.

Ok, that's good to know! I think I'll email a few admissions departments to try and find out more.
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I still think it would count as 3 years. You should contact medical schools to confirm.
Reply 8
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I still think it would count as 3 years. You should contact medical schools to confirm.

No problem! Thanks for the advice, will do :smile:
It would still count as taking 3 years to finish your A levels I think. All hope is not lost because you can still do medicine if you want as there certain universities that accept resit students. I think they are:

Exeter
Plymouth
East Anglia
Brighton and Sussex (BMAT)
Keele (only apply with achieved grades if you are a resit student)
Liverpool
Lancaster

You might want to double check the resit policy for each university just in case.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DeadEnd_96
It would still count as taking 3 years to finish your A levels I think. All hope is not lost because you can still do medicine if you want as there certain universities that accept resit students. I think they are:

Exeter
Plymouth
East Anglia
Brighton and Sussex (BMAT)
Keele (only apply with achieved grades if you are a resit student)
Liverpool
Lancaster

You might want to double check the resit policy for each university just in case.

Perfect! I'll definitely have a look - I was only aware of Exeter accepting re-sit students so to hear of (potentially) so many more is great. Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Unless you have extenuating circumstances or have completely changed subjects (not exam board or to new syllabus) then restarting your AS year would count as doing A levels over 3 years and rules out the vast majority of Med Schools. The list above shows you the ones that are happy to accept this situation.
Original post by GANFYD
Unless you have extenuating circumstances or have completely changed subjects (not exam board or to new syllabus) then restarting your AS year would count as doing A levels over 3 years and rules out the vast majority of Med Schools. The list above shows you the ones that are happy to accept this situation.

Thank you for the clarification :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending