The Student Room Group

Phone got wet, not charging

I got water on my phone when I was in the shower this morning. It didn't get submerged and was mostly just on the screen but it was quite wet. Anyway I wiped it down and carried on using it and it was working fine. I even charged it and it charged fine. However, now when I go to charge it it's not charging at all (whatever charger I use) and just gets really hot, as does the cable if I try and charge it. I'm aware that it being wet then charged could have circuited it but as I say it charged fine initially after the incident. I've taken out the battery and sim and left the phone to air out, is it too late to try the old bowl of rice or towel trick to try and dry it out?

It's a Nokia Lumia 520 if that helps
Reply 1
Take out the battery and sim and stick it in deep down in rice for 3 days itll work normally 😊
You can only hope the rice trick will work at that point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
30 minutes on gas mark 5. Top shelf.
Reply 4
Original post by ralphieinker90
I got water on my phone when I was in the shower this morning. It didn't get submerged and was mostly just on the screen but it was quite wet. Anyway I wiped it down and carried on using it and it was working fine. I even charged it and it charged fine. However, now when I go to charge it it's not charging at all (whatever charger I use) and just gets really hot, as does the cable if I try and charge it. I'm aware that it being wet then charged could have circuited it but as I say it charged fine initially after the incident. I've taken out the battery and sim and left the phone to air out, is it too late to try the old bowl of rice or towel trick to try and dry it out?

Put it in some rice and leave it, Your phone may have some water inside it which may damage it further, other than that quickly safe guard your photos etc or just go put it in rice
Original post by ralphieinker90

You've plugged a potentially waterlogged phone into the mains electricity, and you probably already know that water and electricity don't mix. Turn the phone off, take out the sim card and microsd (and battery if the phone has a removable one) and put it in a bowl of dry rice and leave it there for as long as you can afford to not have your phone for. If after that time the phone still doesn't work, odds are the damage you've done will cost more to repair than just buying another 520.
Reply 6
Original post by TwinnyP
30 minutes on gas mark 5. Top shelf.

youre evil lol
You shouldn't have kept using it. If anything electrical gets wet, turn it off and leave it for at least 24 hours.
Probably short circuited, RIP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending