The Student Room Group

Shall I pick a fourth AS-Level?

I have recently started at an FE college. I am studying AS-Level English Literature, History and Biology. I only chose three as I wasn't sure about the workload due to family problems causing extra stress. My passions are History and the sciences. I was told however that I have a week to decide whether or not I would like to take a forth AS-Level. I was thinking perhaps another science to broaden my University options.

As for career aspirations, I would like to pursue a career related to History or Biology. Does anyone know of any careers or courses that incorporate the two?

Thank you for any advice given.
The closest degree I can think of in regard to History and Biology together is something along the lines of archaeology or palaeontology perhaps. If you want to do a degree like that then another science (or maths) would be useful for some universities (either chemistry or maths would be ideal in my opinion). I did 4 subjects, including chemistry and maths and I found it ok, but if you feel family problems may prevent you from focusing enough energy on studying, three as's might be a better option (just do what the uni's require basically, no need to show off :tongue:).

With that in mind, do you really want/need to do English? Doing a science/maths a level instead would put you in a better place for some degrees (I guess it depends on how much of a scientific slant the degree you want to do has, so I'd try and nail down the degree you want to do first and what is required for it :wink:).
Woo I did those exact subjects at A2 and I'm now going into my second year of a Biological Sciences and History degree! :smile: you could consider doing something similar if you love both, however there are only a couple of universities that offer this (Liverpool, Exeter etc). But as above, archaeology based degrees could be something to consider. I originally applied for biological anthropology/bioarchaeology degrees as they incorporate the two, more so ancient history though. You don't really need to do a fourth AS unless you want to apply to universities like UCL who ask for a fourth AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest