The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

If I fail a discovery or optional module, do I fail the course?

I'll be taking Applied Computer Science this year, and I've been trying to choose between spending my module credits on optional modules for my course, or on the 20-credit beginners German module.

I'm worried though, because I'm not sure how difficult the language modules are to pass and I've never tried learning a language.

If I fail the discovery module (fail a resit,) and pass only 100 credits worth of modules, what would the consequences be?
You need to pass 100 credits each year to stay on the honours degree, so providing you only fail the optional/discovery module you will be fine, the worst it can do is drag down your average.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Ah, okay, great. I assume I still have to pass all of the compulsory modules even if I get extra credits from the discovery modules though, right?
You actually don't need to pass all the compulsory modules, some of your compulsory modules will be what's known as 'Pass for Progression' (PFP) these modules you do need to pass, your school should let you know which modules, if any are PFP. Any other module can be failed any you'll still be allowed to continue on an honours degree providing you still pass a total of 100 credits, obviously this makes any module over 20 credits a PFP module, even if they aren't technically one.

You can also recover credits lost in later years, so say you only pass 90 credits this year, if you pass at least 110 next year you can take 10 credits from next year and count them as this years credits and hence stay on the honours degree.
That's good to know, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest