The Student Room Group

Is Psychology A level interesting?

Hi,
I just had my first week at sixth form and i am dropping 2 of my subjects as I didn't enjoy them. So now I am doing maths and biology (and I am dropping chemistry and physics.) I am now debating taking psychology but I have never done it before. I kind pf want a subject I can get a good grade in by revising as I am doing maths and biology which are fairly tricky. I just am interested in your experience- was it easy,interesting, boring?
Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by zweeden99
Hi,
I just had my first week at sixth form and i am dropping 2 of my subjects as I didn't enjoy them. So now I am doing maths and biology (and I am dropping chemistry and physics.) I am now debating taking psychology but I have never done it before. I kind pf want a subject I can get a good grade in by revising as I am doing maths and biology which are fairly tricky. I just am interested in your experience- was it easy,interesting, boring?

I absolutely loved it at AS, and wouldn't have changed it for anything. I found it very interesting, but also not easy. But if you revise, you will do well. Also the fact that you haven't taken it before doesn't matter as most schools/colleges assume there is no prior knowledge because it's not a core GCSE subject. Some exam boards will also tie in fairly well with Biology because of Physiological Psychology (AQA definitely will).
I found it mind-numbingly boring, it was just remembering a LOT of research studies to defend your case. I wouldnt pick it but its up to you. I did AS and hated it but still got a B so it was fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by emiloujess
I absolutely loved it at AS, and wouldn't have changed it for anything. I found it very interesting, but also not easy. But if you revise, you will do well. Also the fact that you haven't taken it before doesn't matter as most schools/colleges assume there is no prior knowledge because it's not a core GCSE subject. Some exam boards will also tie in fairly well with Biology because of Physiological Psychology (AQA definitely will).

Oh that's great as the exam board is AQA. Would you mind explaining the course a bit as the specification isn't really helping :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
I found it mind-numbingly boring, it was just remembering a LOT of research studies to defend your case. I wouldnt pick it but its up to you. I did AS and hated it but still got a B so it was fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. I keep hearing mixed reviews. How hard did you work and did you do a lot of revision in order to get a B?
Oh that's great as the exam board is AQA. Would you mind explaining the course a bit as the specification isn't really helping :smile:

I haven't done AQA Psychology for a year now, so it may have changed :smile: but it's more interesting than OCR because you'll get to learn the theory behind the case studies. For example, I remember learning the theories about why children get attached to their parents/guardians. The other topics I did were memory and abnormality.

I did OCR this year, because I repeated year 12 :smile:
Ah ok. I keep hearing mixed reviews. How hard did you work and did you do a lot of revision in order to get a B?

I didnt work too hard for a B, if I loved it I probably would have gotten an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Why would you choose two subjects and somehow not take a liking to them in week 1!

I would stick with natural sciences - bio, chem, phys and math.

You could apply to psychology at university with those subjects.

Think of the microscopic aspects of life, the food we eat, the atmosphere.. that affects the psyche, really big stuff in research in economics, medicine, the food industry..

stick with natural sciences

Quick Reply

Latest