The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can you explain me something about accomodation?

Hi. I'm an international student and I'm particularly interested in big campus universities such as Nottingham's that have many places available where to live on-campus. Some people told me that you can live in university accomodation only for the first year, though. Is that true? And is it even for universities like Nottingham that have over 7000 bedrooms available? I can't find anything specific on the website. Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Adrono
Hi. I'm an international student and I'm particularly interested in big campus universities such as Nottingham's that have many places available where to live on-campus. Some people told me that you can live in university accomodation only for the first year, though. Is that true? And is it even for universities like Nottingham that have over 8000 bedrooms available? I can't find anything specific on the website. Thanks in advance.

You can stay in the university accommodation after first year, you don't have to move off campus. I know a couple of people who were in their second year in my hall.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SamB2
You can stay in the university accommodation after first year, you don't have to move off campus. I know a couple of people who were in their second year in my hall.

But is it only for Nottingham? Several people told me you have to move after the first year. Guess it's just what many people do then? Don't get why they would do that though. I'd love to stay all the three years on campus :P.
Original post by Adrono
But is it only for Nottingham? Several people told me you have to move after the first year. Guess it's just what many people do then? Don't get why they would do that though. I'd love to stay all the three years on campus :P.

I'd guess that people would rather move in with the friends they've made, than live with all new freshers in halls.
Reply 4
Original post by carlaraptor
I'd guess that people would rather move in with the friends they've made, than live with all new freshers in halls.

Ah that means that it's almost all freshers living in halls :/.. Well that's a disappointment, I was hoping for a campus community experience that could last for three years. And by that I mean living on-campus too of course. Thanks for your answers!
Original post by Adrono
Ah that means that it's almost all freshers living in halls :/.. Well that's a disappointment, I was hoping for a campus community experience that could last for three years. And by that I mean living on-campus too of course. Thanks for your answers!

I was in Sherwood Hall for my first year at Nottingham but moved out second year. I vaguely remember the warden saying that you could choose a specific room if you stayed in the hall. I suppose you could still be with all your friends in the same corridors if you all choose rooms next to each other if that was to be the case.
Reply 6
Original post by AlterReece
I was in Sherwood Hall for my first year at Nottingham but moved out second year. I vaguely remember the warden saying that you could choose a specific room if you stayed in the hall. I suppose you could still be with all your friends in the same corridors if you all choose rooms next to each other if that was to be the case.

Hey thanks for your answer. By the way I was looking at the website of the university and found that all accommodation on University Park campus is catered. Do you think it is a positive thing? And what about the price? Self catered is cheaper too so I'm kinda disappointed.
Lunch time is very good if you're on catered as you get £5.20 on your card everyday which you can spend on the many different restaurants around campus. These range from chicken wraps to pizzas to Chinese. At dinner time you get a selection of three set meals which you eat in the hall's dining area. I wasn't too keen on the meals at dinner time but liked the meals at lunch. Overall, I think it's good value for money as the halls are close to where you need to go and you don't have to worry about cooking. If you want a self catered hall then Broadgate Park is a good choice as it's situated right next to the uni and was only about a few minutes walk from the hall i was in. It also has many shops close to it around the Beeston area. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Lunch time is very good if you're on catered as you get £5.20 on your card everyday which you can spend on the many different restaurants around campus. These range from chicken wraps to pizzas to Chinese. At dinner time you get a selection of three set meals which you eat in the hall's dining area. I wasn't too keen on the meals at dinner time but liked the meals at lunch. Overall, I think it's good value for money as the halls are close to where you need to go and you don't have to worry about cooking. If you want a self catered hall then Broadgate Park is a good choice as it's situated right next to the uni and was only about a few minutes walk from the hall i was in. It also has many shops close to it around the Beeston area. Hope this helps :smile:

Ok thanks! How would you judge the social aspect of Nottingham Uni? I like that one a lot as it seems to have a beautiful campus life, which really attracts me. Also, what is that people usually do after their first year in halls there? They go to live in private houses like others said most students in general do?
Original post by Adrono
Ok thanks! How would you judge the social aspect of Nottingham Uni? I like that one a lot as it seems to have a beautiful campus life, which really attracts me. Also, what is that people usually do after their first year in halls there? They go to live in private houses like others said most students in general do?

The social life is very good, the campus is gigantic but very vibrant. The nightlife in Nottingham town centre is also very good and offers a range of different music choices. There's also the student union bar called Mooch which is at the centre of campus. They serve cheap drinks and also have some pool tables. Most people tend to move into a private house and most people I've met in new seminars have moved into new house although a few have decided to stay on campus. Looking back, I would have like to have stayed in halls for another year due to the convenience and communal feel of it.
Reply 10
But will I find only freshers in halls? I'm also 19 and will be 20 when I start university, I'm an international student and have lost one year too.
Original post by Adrono
But will I find only freshers in halls? I'm also 19 and will be 20 when I start university, I'm an international student and have lost one year too.

I met some 2nd years who were staying in halls during my time in the halls itself and there are also some people on my degree who are still in halls so there shouldn't just be freshers in halls.
Original post by Adrono

I believe international students are guaranteed a place in halls for all three years of their course, so you should find plenty of 2nd and third year students in halls.
Reply 13
Original post by Rainbow2753
I believe international students are guaranteed a place in halls for all three years of their course, so you should find plenty of 2nd and third year students in halls.

Well I'm from Italy so I don't think I classify as international as they mean it. Ok I just re-read what you said haha yeah I hope I'll find some!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
I met some 2nd years who were staying in halls during my time in the halls itself and there are also some people on my degree who are still in halls so there shouldn't just be freshers in halls.

Ok that's cool, thanks for the info.
Reply 15
Original post by Adrono
Hi. I'm an international student and I'm particularly interested in big campus universities such as Nottingham's that have many places available where to live on-campus. Some people told me that you can live in university accomodation only for the first year, though. Is that true? And is it even for universities like Nottingham that have over 7000 bedrooms available? I can't find anything specific on the website. Thanks in advance.

if you still need accommodation, you can take my spot at broadgate park.
Reply 16
Original post by Jossy*
if you still need accommodation, you can take my spot at broadgate park.

I haven't even applied for any university yet but thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending