The Student Room Group

Skype in University halls?

Right, So tonight is my first night at university, and I was wondering what the general rules are concerning voice chat in the evenings.

For example, Let's say i'm in a call around midnight (Weekend), If I'm just chatting to mates is it considered to be a noise violation?.
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
Right, So tonight is my first night at university, and I was wondering what the general rules are concerning voice chat in the evenings.

For example, Let's say i'm in a call around midnight (Weekend), If I'm just chatting to mates is it considered to be a noise violation?.

Depends how thin the walls are and how loud you speak/ your laptop volume.
Unless the walls are super thin and your flat mate is trying to sleep, or your shouting down your laptop I don't see it being a problem. You can always just tell your flatmates in advance that if they think you're being too loud to just let you know.
Reply 2

Depends on your individual Halls policy, or maybe the uni has a general one. Not much point asking here, unfortunately.

If you can't find the rules for your accommodation, just use your common sense, try to keep chat at a level where it's as quiet as possible. Just be thoughtful of others.

As long as you aren't shouting then I'd say fine. It's great of you to think of others, many people in halls don't.
I used to Skype till 6am and I am loud as ****. You'll be fine, kiddo.
Reply 5
if youre really worried use headphones but it shouldnt be a problem at all
Skype at midnight is nothing compared to loud music at 3am which you're likely to get.

Depends how strict your halls are.
For my falls during the week people had to start being quiet around 11:30 till 7:00 where as on the weekends, this altered.

You could Skype quite easily. It's only a voice chat, it's not like you are going to be shouting. Like I said, depends how strict your halls are, how thin the walls are and how likely the people next door to you are going to complain.
Original post by jelly1000
As long as you aren't shouting then I'd say fine. It's great of you to think of others, many people in halls don't.

I thought it was a common practice to alert the halls management about noise violations....

Thanks for your reply though!
I thought it was a common practice to alert the halls management about noise violations....

Thanks for your reply though!

It really depends- depends on what your flatmates are like- they might be noisy late at night!
The effectiveness of halls management at dealing with noise varies. Sometimes they will come in, ask people to be quiet and go away and those being noisy just ignore them, or people turn the noise down for a bit to appease them then carry on being loud again. It's not easy for halls management to keep lots of mostly excited 18/19 year olds living together quiet.
If you can't be heard much from outside when your door is shut you should be okay.
Original post by jelly1000
It really depends- depends on what your flatmates are like- they might be noisy late at night!
The effectiveness of halls management at dealing with noise varies. Sometimes they will come in, ask people to be quiet and go away and those being noisy just ignore them, or people turn the noise down for a bit to appease them then carry on being loud again. It's not easy for halls management to keep lots of mostly excited 18/19 year olds living together quiet.

Hahaha, Yeah i'm not one to make too much noise so I should be alright!, A tremendous amount of thanks for your input!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending