The Student Room Group

Could I get into Medicine?

So, my GCSEs weren't great, that being 2 A*'s, 2 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's, with an A in maths, a B in English Lan, a C in English Lit and B A* in double science; of which 1 of the A's and 1 of the B's may not be counted depending on the university.

At first I had given up all hope of getting into medicine, to the point where I hadn't even considered it once throughout my AS year, but then I managed to get 4A's at AS (in the three major sciences and maths), and am hoping to get 5A*'s at A2 (I've taken psychology AS and A2 this year (self/distance teaching) - although slight chance my school won't let me take A2 later on, in which case I hope to get 4A*'s and an A at As - although I've heard no uni's care about any additional AS grades when they are along with the A2 ones).

I'm also going to take a gap year, during which I hope to get a lot of experience in clinical settings - volunteer/work experience in hospitals, care homes etc. I will also aim to get a high score on my BMAT/UKAT.

It may also be worth noting that I may qualify for extenuating circumstances/other that may get uni's to give me extra consideration/understanding.

With this in mind, do you think that it is possible for me to get into medicine (obviously not at oxbridge/other very prestigious uni's), is taking the extra psychology A-level worth it? (note that there is still time for me to drop it or exchange it for something else, like further maths or english lit, since I'm not sure if medical schools give much notice to psychology - but the main point of the extra A-level grade is to compensate for a weak GCSE performance) and would it be for the best if I stopped fooling myself and avoid going for such an inauspicious career route, and instead aim for a future profession in something else science related, e.g. biological research.

Finally, if you do think that it is possible, do you think that anything else could be done to enhance my chances of being accepted? e.g. taking a course in British sign language or something?

I know that this is a big post, so I'm very grateful to anyone who replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending