The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Hi all,

I'm thinking about what A levels I might decide to do. History or Law are the things I'm most interested in studying at University. I already know that I pretty much definitely want to do History and French, and I will probably also choose Politics.

What other A Level subjects do you think I might find interesting? I have already considered English but I'm not too keen on that idea and I'm not very 'Mathsy' or 'Sciencey' either. There is also the possibility of either Latin or Classics; has anyone done either of these and found it interesting?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Banana
Reply 1
With History i would really recommend Philosophy!
Reply 2
Latin is cool and AS in particular is a straightforward step up as long as you were good at it at GCSE. I think Classics is an essay-ish subject but not as heavy as History or Politics

Maybe Economics?
Don't overload yourself with too many essay subjects. Take something like english rather than french due to how complicated it gets at A-level (or so I hear!). I would take maths - maths opens up so many options and I think if law doesn't work out, you can definitely fall back on maths on take a degree related to maths. Definitely have a look at maths!
Reply 4
classics goes well with history - but so does politics! depending on what history units youre doing (i did one on british politics so politics really helped me with that!)

also maybe look at sociology? i found it went really well with both politics and history!

i did 4 essays subjects, and while it can be hard to master all the different essay techniques (all for of my subjects had different structures) its not too difficult if you manage your time well!
Reply 5
Original post by NinesICB318
Don't overload yourself with too many essay subjects. Take something like english rather than french due to how complicated it gets at A-level (or so I hear!). I would take maths - maths opens up so many options and I think if law doesn't work out, you can definitely fall back on maths on take a degree related to maths. Definitely have a look at maths!

Okay - but I really love French and definitely want to continue it, unless GCSE goes horribly wrong (which I imagine wouldn't happen).

I also mentioned that I'm really not keen on doing Maths (Edit: or English) past GCSE.

'Rather than French due to how complicated it gets at A Level (or so I hear!).'
-I'm always up for a challenge!

Thank you though for all the suggestions everyone - they are much appreciated and have given me much to think about :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Banana00
Okay - but I really love French and definitely want to continue it, unless GCSE goes horribly wrong (which I imagine wouldn't happen).

I also mentioned that I'm really not keen on doing Maths (Edit: or English) past GCSE.

'Rather than French due to how complicated it gets at A Level (or so I hear!).'
-I'm always up for a challenge!

Thank you though for all the suggestions everyone - they are much appreciated and have given me much to think about :smile:

YOU HAVEN't DONE YOUR GCSEs???? Don't about a-levels, you're thinking too far ahead. Right now you need to look at GCSEs as your goal because that is the foundation that you require to propel yourself for taking law.
Reply 7
Original post by NinesICB318
YOU HAVEN't DONE YOUR GCSEs???? Don't about a-levels, you're thinking too far ahead. Right now you need to look at GCSEs as your goal because that is the foundation that you require to propel yourself for taking law.

How does it work at other schools? At mine, we have to decide on our A Level choices not too far away. GCSEs are of course my main priority, however I also have to finalise my A Level choices. I know it's very early, but please don't assume that my school does it the same way as yours.
Reply 8
Assuming you're in Year 11 (i.e. starting A-levels this time next year) then yeah, about now is a good time to start thinking about this stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest