The Student Room Group

Environmental Sciences

Hello everybody. I'm considering studying Env Science but I'm not sure where to apply. I did a little research and liked the courses from UEA, Exeter, Leeds, Nottingham and Cardiff. If you are studying Environmental Science there(or in any other uni) could you share your experience? Do you think you've made the best or the worst decision? Do you enjoy the programme? What do you think of the facilities? Do you think it's worth it to study Environmental Sciences? Thanks in advance.
Original post by jellybeansfly
Hello everybody. I'm considering studying Env Science but I'm not sure where to apply. I did a little research and liked the courses from UEA, Exeter, Leeds, Nottingham and Cardiff. If you are studying Environmental Science there(or in any other uni) could you share your experience? Do you think you've made the best or the worst decision? Do you enjoy the programme? What do you think of the facilities? Do you think it's worth it to study Environmental Sciences? Thanks in advance.

I'm not speaking from experience here (as a disclaimer) but have you gone through the modules that all of those places offer? Whilst courses are generally fairly similar in the first year or two, they can differ quite dramatically in terms of the optional modules offered later on in the degree course. Exeter for instance seems to be offering some very human-focused modules like Global Health and Waste & Society, whereas UEA is quite famous for its climate science and has a lot of climate-related modules.
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not speaking from experience here (as a disclaimer) but have you gone through the modules that all of those places offer? Whilst courses are generally fairly similar in the first year or two, they can differ quite dramatically in terms of the optional modules offered later on in the degree course. Exeter for instance seems to be offering some very human-focused modules like Global Health and Waste & Society, whereas UEA is quite famous for its climate science and has a lot of climate-related modules.

Of course I have. I feel like I'd be content with both of the universities' programmes. I haven't really chosen what career path I want to take, I just know it has to do with environmental issues. I believe that in the process of studying I will develop more interest in a certain field. I'm just curious about what students think about their course and if they think the university stood up to their expectations. :smile:
I haven't really chosen what career path I want to take, I just know it has to do with environmental issues. I believe that in the process of studying I will develop more interest in a certain field.

That's very true! Have you looked through this year's Geography/Environmental Science applicants thread to see if anyone has expressed any opinions about EnvSci at those universities? Just trying to give you suggestions until someone with first hand experience comes along because this part of the forum is unfortunately not very active!
Original post by Plagioclase
That's very true! Have you looked through this year's Geography/Environmental Science applicants thread to see if anyone has expressed any opinions about EnvSci at those universities? Just trying to give you suggestions until someone with first hand experience comes along because this part of the forum is unfortunately not very active!

Now I have! Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi! I'm environmental science student - what do you want to know? I've done two years so far and am currently on my industrial placement year :smile:

I think I definitely picked the right degree - I get to learn bits of this and bits of that and put it all together to understand a whole system. I'm not limited to doing only one science or indeed doing only science - there's scope for humanities, planning and policy in there as well.

Sorry not the best answer - I'm sat on a bus trying To type right now! But ask me a question and I'll do my best to answer :smile:
Original post by LittleRit
Hi! I'm environmental science student - what do you want to know? I've done two years so far and am currently on my industrial placement year :smile:

I think I definitely picked the right degree - I get to learn bits of this and bits of that and put it all together to understand a whole system. I'm not limited to doing only one science or indeed doing only science - there's scope for humanities, planning and policy in there as well.

Sorry not the best answer - I'm sat on a bus trying To type right now! But ask me a question and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

Hey, thanks for the answer! :smile: I do, indeed, have a few questions. First of all - where do you study? Was it hard for you to get the hang of things in the begining(if you didn't come from a science background, of course)?
Thanks in advance. :smile:
Hey, thanks for the answer! :smile: I do, indeed, have a few questions. First of all - where do you study? Was it hard for you to get the hang of things in the begining(if you didn't come from a science background, of course)?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

I study at Manchester. In some ways yes and some ways no - I took bio, maths, music and geography to A2 so I was well equipped for my first year, especially because I made friends with people who had done chem and physics so we helped each other out. First year was all about getting everybody up to a equal footing, and they do this because they expect everybody to have come through different routes (we had mature students via access to HE, we had foreign students, we had foundation year students, we had transfers from other courses and obviously those who came straight into it but had different a levels).

Second year was more difficult because there was more new stuff to me, more physics and chemistry, but asking for feedback and working hard in coursework and labs helped my understanding. As long as you have atleast one science under your belt, and a good work ethic or drive to understand, you'll be fine. :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by LittleRit
I study at Manchester. In some ways yes and some ways no - I took bio, maths, music and geography to A2 so I was well equipped for my first year, especially because I made friends with people who had done chem and physics so we helped each other out. First year was all about getting everybody up to a equal footing, and they do this because they expect everybody to have come through different routes (we had mature students via access to HE, we had foreign students, we had foundation year students, we had transfers from other courses and obviously those who came straight into it but had different a levels).

Second year was more difficult because there was more new stuff to me, more physics and chemistry, but asking for feedback and working hard in coursework and labs helped my understanding. As long as you have atleast one science under your belt, and a good work ethic or drive to understand, you'll be fine. :smile:

Hope this helps!

Hey! Thanks for the answer. What are your plans for after you finish the course?
Hey! Thanks for the answer. What are your plans for after you finish the course?

No probs.

I'm thinking about doing a masters. Nt sure which type or where though!

Other than that I want to stay in the environment sector somehow, but I haven't got a solid job or career in mind yet.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending