The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi all, I applied for Childrens nursing at Huddersfield, Bradford, Teesside, York and Northumbria on 23rd October. I have an interview at Teesside on 17th November. Still waiting to hear back from the rest. Seems like I applied so long ago!! Anyone else applied to the above choices?:smile:
Original post by kjade95
Hi all, I applied for Childrens nursing at Huddersfield, Bradford, Teesside, York and Northumbria on 23rd October. I have an interview at Teesside on 17th November. Still waiting to hear back from the rest. Seems like I applied so long ago!! Anyone else applied to the above choices?:smile:

Applied to York and Northumbria! Got an interview for York on 12th December
Reply 82
Original post by hannahrose11
Applied to York and Northumbria! Got an interview for York on 12th December

Oh that's cool! Good to speak to people that have applied to similar! Ah when did you apply and hear about the interview? I haven't heard anything from York yet :frown:
Original post by kjade95
Oh that's cool! Good to speak to people that have applied to similar! Ah when did you apply and hear about the interview? I haven't heard anything from York yet :frown:

Applied about 3 weeks ago and heard on Monday
Reply 84
Original post by hannahrose11
Applied about 3 weeks ago and heard on Monday

Well done you! Hopefully i'll hear something soon :smile:
Original post by kjade95
Well done you! Hopefully i'll hear something soon :smile:

Fingers crossed!
Hi All,

Putting all my eggs in one basket but I only applied to Teesside and I have an interview on 12th November :-) Yikes! Good luck to everyone else.X
Original post by PaediatricStN
Yes I'm a newly qualified children's nurse :smile:

Hi! Congrats on becoming newly qualified! I wanted to ask, what kind of placements did you have in your First Year and how soon did you get sent out on placement? Did you have much 'practice' in simulated hospital setting prior to going out on placement?
Many thanks in advance! X
Original post by Rosie2003
Hi! Congrats on becoming newly qualified! I wanted to ask, what kind of placements did you have in your First Year and how soon did you get sent out on placement? Did you have much 'practice' in simulated hospital setting prior to going out on placement?
Many thanks in advance! X

Hello! Thank you - I was delighted to finally finish after 3 years hard work!

In first year I had two children's wards as my main placements (9 and 6 weeks long) as well as a 2 week health visiting placement. The first of the wards was for 2-16 year olds, and had four cubicles dedicated to oncology patients. The second of the wards was for infants <2 years of age. Most of my cohort got wards to start with, but I understand other universities use health visiting as a longer placement, and use other areas such as nurseries too (But only for first year placements).

I was a September cohort student and I got sent out in the January. Other universities send students out in October/November - so much sooner after starting.

I didn't have much simulated practice experience before I started the placements, but to be honest, I don't know much it would of helped. I had intense simulation during my 3rd year (At the request of myself and my fellow students) but this was probably more beneficial than it would have been in 3rd year, as we all had the baseline clinical knowledge and skills on which to build on.

I hope that answers your questions, Rosie! Feel free to ask anything else :smile:
Reply 89
Anyone applying to London South Bank Uni? Very worried and scared about the numercay test. Any one have advice or can tell me what it is like? Is it similar to the one they have online? Please:eek:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hello! Thank you - I was delighted to finally finish after 3 years hard work!

In first year I had two children's wards as my main placements (9 and 6 weeks long) as well as a 2 week health visiting placement. The first of the wards was for 2-16 year olds, and had four cubicles dedicated to oncology patients. The second of the wards was for infants <2 years of age. Most of my cohort got wards to start with, but I understand other universities use health visiting as a longer placement, and use other areas such as nurseries too (But only for first year placements).

I was a September cohort student and I got sent out in the January. Other universities send students out in October/November - so much sooner after starting.

I didn't have much simulated practice experience before I started the placements, but to be honest, I don't know much it would of helped. I had intense simulation during my 3rd year (At the request of myself and my fellow students) but this was probably more beneficial than it would have been in 3rd year, as we all had the baseline clinical knowledge and skills on which to build on.

I hope that answers your questions, Rosie! Feel free to ask anything else :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful! All of those placements sound great :-) I think my main worry is being placed on an adult ward when I genuinely have no interest in working with adults on that score (fair enough supporting adults when they are parents or carers of patients who are children). Did you not have to do any adult-related placements at all? Did you have any say in where you were placed? I currently work on a health visitng team (have done for years) so perhaps they'd send me elsewhere!! X
Reply 91
Hi all. Been posting in the other general Nursing thread but thought I'd pop over here to see what's been happening in the Child specific thread. :smile:

I applied back in September to King's, LSBU, City, Nottingham and Kingston for PgDip.

I was rejected from Kingston without interview and they didn't respond to me asking for feedback. :frown:

Had my Literacy and Numeracy tests at King's last week and I'm waiting for their response. Think I might have fluffed it though but hoping not!

I have tests at City and LSBU later this month. Nothing from Nottingham yet.

Anyone else applying to these unis? Would love to know if anyone has heard from King's yet who did the tests. I saw one person was unfortunately unsuccessful on Friday but I've heard nothing. :/

Good luck by the way to everyone! :smile:
Reply 92
I've also applied to Southampton & Kings (also as insurance) but being a mature student it's more difficult for me to re-locate unfortunately. Really hoping for UWE or Cardiff! Have you heard from any others yet? Good luck :smile:

Original post by M_E_Rosie
Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham (rejected :frown:) and Cardiff :smile: haven't heard from Cardiff yet either! What are your other choices?
Original post by Rosie2003
Hi All,

Putting all my eggs in one basket but I only applied to Teesside and I have an interview on 12th November :-) Yikes! Good luck to everyone else.X

I have mine on the same date and uni too. Good luck! 🍀🍀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Just got a confirmation from UCAS saying they have received my application- Greenwich has sent me a welcome email- I have applied for (in order) all children's nursing

Kings college London
Greenwich (avery hill)
Worcester
Brighton
Surrey

I hope to hear something soon!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Just got a confirmation from UCAS saying they have received my application- Greenwich has sent me a welcome email- I have applied for (in order)

Kings college London
Greenwich (avery hill)
Worcester
Brighton
Surrey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all. This is my second time applying for Child Nursing. I am applying for the 2017 intake Teesside and Northumbria. You have an interview on Thursday at Teesside. Feeling nervous. Wondering if anyone else has had an interview here yet? I'm feeling nervous about the maths test as I missed out by 1 mark. Hope the rest paper is the same as last years! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anybody know how we can find out how many places each university has for each intake?
Original post by Jessicalynn97
does anybody know how we can find out how many places each university has for each intake?

You could email the universities and ask, but they might not always know exactly themselves until their funding is confirmed. Why do you want to know anyway? :smile:
Original post by Demmerson
Hi all. This is my second time applying for Child Nursing. I am applying for the 2017 intake Teesside and Northumbria. You have an interview on Thursday at Teesside. Feeling nervous. Wondering if anyone else has had an interview here yet? I'm feeling nervous about the maths test as I missed out by 1 mark. Hope the rest paper is the same as last years! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

For interview tips and advice scroll through some of the other threads or search through some of my own posts as I regularly share hints.

It is asked that specific interview details for individual universities aren't discussed as it gives an unfair advantage but if you do what I've suggested above, and take that advice then you will be fine. Alternatively you can DM me with any questions about interviews :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending