The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else going for child nursing at Coventry uni starting September 2016? Xx
Original post by claireestelle
Exams and coursework will vary between universities, asking how hard it will be is pretty subjective to each person really. I m an mh student nurse but my first year has 3 essays,4 exams, a practical exam, a cross field portfolio and all the placement documentation if that gives you any idea.

what is included in the cross field portfolio/ what is it? and what university was it that you attended? thank you!!
Yeeeeay - my Uni place has changed to Unconditional :-D x
Hi everyone congratulations on your places and good luck with your studies 😊

I am hoping to apply for children's nursing for 2017 and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise on how best to present my application etc?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MDouglas

I am hoping to apply for children's nursing for 2017 and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise on how best to present my application etc?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I can speak to you about it if you'd like? Private messaging me might be easier :smile: xx

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally, the thing that universities like when it comes to healthcare applications, is work experience. In your personal statement, you should talk about any type of relevant experience or motivation behind your choice to enter nursing. If you don't have any work experience in healthcare, then I would recommend that you get some to heighten your chances of your application being further processed :smile: A final note of advice would be to just simply present your personal statement professionally and formally.
Hi,

is it possible if you could give me some advice about the Child Nursing interviews and what i need to do to prepare myself. I am aware that different universities have different entry requirement, however i just wanted to know where I could get some help on the numeracy and literary tests for the interviews from.

I am in the middle for editing my personal statement and so it would be great if you could give me some advice on how to make a personal statement stand out.

I am going to be starting in September 2017.

Thank you for your advice and taking time out to read this post.

Ruqayyah Boota
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi, I'm a newly qualified children's nurse here. Happy to answer any questions you guys and girls have about applying or the course itself etc! :smile:

Hi,

is it possible if you could give me some advice about the Child Nursing interviews and what i need to do to prepare myself. I am aware that different universities have different entry requirement, however i just wanted to know where I could get some help on the numeracy and literary tests for the interviews from.

I am in the middle for editing my personal statement and so it would be great if you could give me some advice on how to make a personal statement stand out.

Ruqayyah Boota
Congratulations to you all for getting places!
I recieved interviews,but no offers :frown:.

How do i cope with nerves at interviews?

Thanks x
Original post by Ruqayyah1999
Hi,

Ruqayyah Boota

Hello :smile:

So, about the nursing interviews, all I can really say is, is that you can't really prepare for them! However, I will try and help you understand them :smile: The ones that I went to were in the format of a Multiple Mini Interview. In an MMI, you go into a room with only a few other people and in the room, there are multiple tables set up. Each table has a different type of question or scenario that you expected to either answer to the best of your ability in only a few minutes. Basically, the MMI is set up so that the examiners can see how you think and how you analyse different types of situations. I personally found that it was best to be brutally honest in my answer, even if this had a negative impact on my own character, and to analyse every single angle of a possible situation. This worked for me; I was given offers at all of the universities that offered me interviews, but please also consider that this may not work for you! Everyone, I imagine, finds a different way to answer and to respond to different situations and that is what the examiners want to see and discover.

As for the literacy and numeracy tests, they're easy and not much to worry about! The literacy ones were, for me, reading and comprehension and we were given 10 minutes to complete it. The numeracy test was also pretty basic with skills required in division, multiplication, addition, and subtraction. In particular, look at multiplication and division involving decimals. Percentages were also tested. Some universities also allow you the use of a calculator, which makes your job even easier :smile:

For your personal statement, all I can say is to make it a true representation of you! Make sure, though, that you add any relevant work experience and/or motivation as to why you chose the course. Furthermore, good grammar and spelling is a must.

I hope that this helped and good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ruqayyah1999
Hi,

Ruqayyah Boota

Hi Ruqayyah,

I'll go through and address the things you want to know one by one.

English Tests
The English tests tend to vary between different universities, although as a general rule, despite the task, markers are looking for: clear handwriting, well organised and concise answers, and good spelling, punctuation and grammar. They usually last about 30 mins, and tasks you are asked to complete may be something simple such as "Describe your journey here" or you may be asked to critique a news article or answer questions based on some pre-reading you have been given. To prepare at home you could practice some descriptive writing by setting yourself a topic to write about. You could also find a news article that reports on a piece of research and think critically of its strengths and weaknesses. (If you need an article to start off with, this is a good one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32162803). One of my interviewas a comprehension test, so you could also use this article in that way too. This critiquing does seem a little advanced, but I am aware that universities have been setting such tasks, and therefore it is good to be prepared. If you require help on basic critiquing, there is reliable help available online or I can provide pointers.

Maths Test
These also usually last about 30 mins and normally comprise of subtraction, addition, multiplication, division, fractions, conversions, ratios and percentages etc. It's just below GCSE standard. Some universities are also including basic drug calculations, although these shouldn't require a calculator, and with good general maths skills they should be answerable. With the maths tests people often get confused by the nursing terminology used... Try to remove the nursing context where you can and focus on the maths. Brighton and Birmingham City Universities provide sample maths papers on their websites which will give you a good idea of what to expect. The unis you have applied to may provide their own. The NHS website "SNAP" is also a good preparation tool but I am not sure how accessing this works as some people have said you need a certain account to get it. Maybe give it a try.

Personal Statements
- Have a good reason for entering nursing - saying you want to care for people is not enough.
- Make sure you show understanding of what a children's nurse does - we don't play with kids!
- Be concise remove words like "That", "And", "This" or "The" where you don't need them.
- Say what you have learnt, and why that will benefit you. Don't just list what experience you have. Use one sentence to say what you did. Use two or three sentences to say what you learnt etc.
- use a thesaurus to make it more interesting
- Relate your academic subjects back to nursing
- Give a long term goal if you have one (E.g. A&E nurse etc)

Hope that helps
Joel
Original post by CLTiele
Hello :smile:

So, about the nursing interviews, all I can really say is, is that you can't really prepare for them! However, I will try and help you understand them :smile: The ones that I went to were in the format of a Multiple Mini Interview. In an MMI, you go into a room with only a few other people and in the room, there are multiple tables set up. Each table has a different type of question or scenario that you expected to either answer to the best of your ability in only a few minutes. Basically, the MMI is set up so that the examiners can see how you think and how you analyse different types of situations. I personally found that it was best to be brutally honest in my answer, even if this had a negative impact on my own character, and to analyse every single angle of a possible situation. This worked for me; I was given offers at all of the universities that offered me interviews, but please also consider that this may not work for you! Everyone, I imagine, finds a different way to answer and to respond to different situations and that is what the examiners want to see and discover.

As for the literacy and numeracy tests, they're easy and not much to worry about! The literacy ones were, for me, reading and comprehension and we were given 10 minutes to complete it. The numeracy test was also pretty basic with skills required in division, multiplication, addition, and subtraction. In particular, look at multiplication and division involving decimals. Percentages were also tested. Some universities also allow you the use of a calculator, which makes your job even easier :smile:

For your personal statement, all I can say is to make it a true representation of you! Make sure, though, that you add any relevant work experience and/or motivation as to why you chose the course. Furthermore, good grammar and spelling is a must.

I hope that this helped and good luck!

Thank you for your advice!
Hi Ruqayyah,

English Tests
The English tests tend to vary between different universities, although as a general rule, despite the task, markers are looking for: clear handwriting, well organised and concise answers, and good spelling, punctuation and grammar. They usually last about 30 mins, and tasks you are asked to complete may be something simple such as "Describe your journey here" or you may be asked to critique a news article or answer questions based on some pre-reading you have been given. To prepare at home you could practice some descriptive writing by setting yourself a topic to write about. You could also find a news article that reports on a piece of research and think critically of its strengths and weaknesses. (If you need an article to start off with, this is a good one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32162803). One of my interviewas a comprehension test, so you could also use this article in that way too. This critiquing does seem a little advanced, but I am aware that universities have been setting such tasks, and therefore it is good to be prepared. If you require help on basic critiquing, there is reliable help available online or I can provide pointers.

Maths Test
These also usually last about 30 mins and normally comprise of subtraction, addition, multiplication, division, fractions, conversions, ratios and percentages etc. It's just below GCSE standard. Some universities are also including basic drug calculations, although these shouldn't require a calculator, and with good general maths skills they should be answerable. With the maths tests people often get confused by the nursing terminology used... Try to remove the nursing context where you can and focus on the maths. Brighton and Birmingham City Universities provide sample maths papers on their websites which will give you a good idea of what to expect. The unis you have applied to may provide their own. The NHS website "SNAP" is also a good preparation tool but I am not sure how accessing this works as some people have said you need a certain account to get it. Maybe give it a try.

Personal Statements
- Have a good reason for entering nursing - saying you want to care for people is not enough.
- Make sure you show understanding of what a children's nurse does - we don't play with kids!
- Be concise remove words like "That", "And", "This" or "The" where you don't need them.
- Say what you have learnt, and why that will benefit you. Don't just list what experience you have. Use one sentence to say what you did. Use two or three sentences to say what you learnt etc.

Hope that helps
Joel

Thank you for your advice. I will be able to start preparing for interviews based on the information provided.
Thank you once again!
Original post by CLTiele
Generally, the thing that universities like when it comes to healthcare applications, is work experience. In your personal statement, you should talk about any type of relevant experience or motivation behind your choice to enter nursing. If you don't have any work experience in healthcare, then I would recommend that you get some to heighten your chances of your application being further processed :smile: A final note of advice would be to just simply present your personal statement professionally and formally.

Hi thanks for your reply, at the moment I don't have much experience other then my children (which I know they don't like you to use in personal statement) but I have applied to my local hospital and everywhere I can think of to gain some experience
Hi Ruqayyah,

English Tests

Maths Test

Personal Statements

Hope that helps
Joel

Out of interest, what uni did you go to?
Original post by Blackstarr
Out of interest, what uni did you go to?

I'm sorry, I don't disclose that. It keeps my specific placement areas confidential, and just generally makes things less complicated :smile:
Original post by KirsttyyM
Hello all, just wondering is there anyone who is thinking about going on and doing Child nursing in 2016? General discussion, tell me where you thin you might like to go etc! Join in! :biggrin:

Hiya, i have been accepted for a conditional offer at Anglia ruskin for child nursing but i am sick to my stomach thinking i wont get the maths gcse grade I've been working 3 years for! I'm terrible at maths and it brings me to tears. I'm not even religious but i would pray to god if it gets me into this course. It is all i could ever ask for. I'm dreading results day!
Hi thanks for your reply, at the moment I don't have much experience other then my children (which I know they don't like you to use in personal statement) but I have applied to my local hospital and everywhere I can think of to gain some experience

Hi MDouglas,

I went through applying for Children Nursing course last year and got 3 offer out of 5 and will start my course in January 2017.

I am a mum of 2 without any experience in hospital environment, I was a TA for many year, so in my statement my place as a mother was very important and all the experiences I gained by being a mum was highlighted such as multi tasking, knowing how to respond to a sick child and my knowledge of parenthood.

University really appreciate mums so make it a big big advantage.

Good luck
There is a Facebook group for anyone going to BCU in January. We are still on the hunt for the rest of the people on our course! :smile:
Original post by jujuinjuly
Hi MDouglas,

I went through applying for Children Nursing course last year and got 3 offer out of 5 and will start my course in January 2017.

I am a mum of 2 without any experience in hospital environment, I was a TA for many year, so in my statement my place as a mother was very important and all the experiences I gained by being a mum was highlighted such as multi tasking, knowing how to respond to a sick child and my knowledge of parenthood.

University really appreciate mums so make it a big big advantage.

Good luck

I can second this. I'm starting pgdip children's nursing in Feb and had zero experience other than my children. They accepted me and I now have the experience that would have been ideal before I applied which has done me the world of good, but they accepted me based on my own experiences. It's all about your personal statement and how you apply your experience to nursing x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest