The Student Room Group

Changing from medicine

I've heard lots of stories about people who get into medicine and regret choosing it as a degree subject, I guess you don't know what it's like until you try it.

I'd like to know if it is at all possible to change to a different degree subject if you don't like the studying or the patient interaction or whatever puts you off. And if so, when in your medicine degree is it possible to transfer and what other courses can you transfer to?

Obviously medicine is a big commitment and the degree is 5/6 years long, while the career is for life. So I would appreciate people's insights.
Original post by Hoops14
I've heard lots of stories about people who get into medicine and regret choosing it as a degree subject, I guess you don't know what it's like until you try it.

I'd like to know if it is at all possible to change to a different degree subject if you don't like the studying or the patient interaction or whatever puts you off. And if so, when in your medicine degree is it possible to transfer and what other courses can you transfer to?

Obviously medicine is a big commitment and the degree is 5/6 years long, while the career is for life. So I would appreciate people's insights.

At most places, it's not possible to transfer to another course at the same university. There may be some exceptions but generally, if you don't like, the only thing you can do is drop out. This is my general impression though, so you may want to look at the policies of various universities you're looking at first.

Another thing: The reason most medical schools expect you to have some work experience/voluntary work in a caring environment is so that you know what it's like doing the job because a medical degree is fairly rare among degrees in that it trains you for one specific kind of job so you better be sure that that's the job you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending