The Student Room Group

Investing My Maintenance Grant

I want to start a business, I've been wanting to do it for a while, but the only thing stopping me is funding. Without doing uni, if I took out a loan and failed, I'd have no money, lose my stuff and have nothing to fall back on. I've always wished that I could get such good terms for starting a business as I do for going to university when I realised- maybe I can.

I need £10K, minimum, to get started. I'm going to be getting around £3.5K per year maintenance grant, and I have enough savings that I don't need it. Last thing I want to do is waste it, so I'm thinking I could put it in either a high-interest saving account, the kind that are locked for a few years, or into a stocks and shares account. After 3 years of uni, I'll have at least the money I need to get started, maybe a little extra, and the qualifications to fall back on. And it would actually make me feel like going to uni is giving me something worthwhile to look forward to.

The alternative would of course be to invest all my money right off the bat and live off the grants as they come, which would also work fine. Either I'll start my business and fail, in which case I'll go for employment and pay off my loan normally, or I'll succeed and pay the loan normally from my wages. Seems like a win/win to me, which normally means I've missed something. What are your thoughts?
Reply 1
I'm not exactly clear on your plan: how would you pay for your three years at uni without the maintenance loan/grant?

into a stocks and shares account

The horizon for this should be at least ten years, so this isn't a good option.
Reply 2
If you have enough savings to not need the maintenance grant; why not just use your savings to fund it?
if you have savings make a few wise deals but find a customer before you buy and stick to quality pieces
1. Get the grant and the savings.
2. Roulette table, everything on red.
3. ???
4. Profit… or council housing.
Reply 5
I would recommend reading this article first, it's quite good for beginners.
Reply 6
Original post by Retroo
I would recommend reading this article first, it's quite good for beginners.

It's also completely irrelevant to the question and situation OP was asking...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending