The Student Room Group

Maybe is a dream or is it possible?

Hi everyone!!

So on the 13th August I was left very disappointed after getting BBCD in biology, psychology, economics and chemistry. Well, it may look like I didn't work hard enough- yet I was in the library every day going over my notes and trying exam questions, just like I was advised from one of the year 13 (at the time) who got into Oxford. I dropped chemistry, in which I got a D.

Anyway, this time around I am determined to get A*AA, or maybe ( yes, because I am ambitious) A*A*A , and I will be retaking one module from each of my 3 subjects which are biology, psychology and economics.

I know is very ambitious, but is there anyone who improved 2 grades, or maybe three grades higher from their as level? Can you please tell me how you did it? or if it is possible at all move up by so much? What kind of tactics, or strategies can I use to get high ums marks?

Thanks in advance!
I haven't actually taken my AS yet but I worked really hard in my GCSEs and got nearly all A*s after not doing so well in my mocks so hopefully my advice will be transferable to your situation:

1. Continue working hard and don't let your AS grades deture you!
2. Do some contextual reading around your subjects so you have a wider knowledge and understanding of the topics
3. Ask your teachers to tell you what topics they think you're weakest in and for them to give you extra support in these areas
4. Colour co-ordinate your notes so you associate a piece of information with a colour (don't go too crazy with this though)
5. Test yourself in more memorable ways than past papers e.g. make quiz show cards and get someone to ask you the questions in a game master's voice.
6. Don't burn yourself out. Revision isn't all about blasting through your work every night. Try and get a balance so you're not stressed out and can take in the information.
7. Maybe the library isn't the best place for you to work? Try different places e.g. I like to revise in my local coffee shop because I find the atmosphere relaxes me and helps me concentrate (although it is expensive after a few months)
8. Make notes every night after lessons and go over these notes constantly throughout the year, condensing them down as you do.
9. Try to think like an examiner. Write an exam question and its mark scheme and hand it into a teacher for marking to see if you know what information to write when you get a question like that.
10. Keep healthy so your mind isn't foggy and you can fully concentrate and take in your revision.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the grades you want but remember that if you don't your life isn't over and those letters don't define you. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending