The Student Room Group

Which university has the largest campus?

And which one has the most number of on-site accomodation places available? I love big campus-universities where you really get the community feeling. From what I've seen so far Nottingham is at the top of the list: a big campus with over 7000 beds available on it.

Scroll to see replies

You tend to lose the 'community feeling' as the population increases, take China, for example. You'd be better off looking for a smaller campus if you want that.
Reply 2
Original post by magnitudezero
You tend to lose the 'community feeling' as the population increases, take China, for example. You'd be better off looking for a smaller campus if you want that.

Well by community feeling I actually mean the fact that everything is on campus: you live there, you study there, do sports etc. So it's like living in a big community.
American university campuses are freaking huge.
Largest campus in regards to amount of land they own is Keele University :smile:
Original post by Adrono
And which one has the most number of on-site accomodation places available? I love big campus-universities where you really get the community feeling. From what I've seen so far Nottingham is at the top of the list: a big campus with over 7000 beds available on it.

It's probably Cambridge - they have 11,786 undergraduates and at least that number of beds available (since all undergraduates are required to live on campus, and some postgrads do that as well). Of course with the collegiate system it avoids feeling too big as the community that you live with is much smaller.
Reply 6
Original post by jamesmc12
It's probably Cambridge - they have 11,786 undergraduates and at least that number of beds available (since all undergraduates are required to live on campus, and some postgrads do that as well). Of course with the collegiate system it avoids feeling too big as the community that you live with is much smaller.

Wish me good luck in getting into Cambridge then haha. Yeah I saw they had lots of beds by the way but it's not a campus-university is it? I saw it was kinda spread around.

By the way since I'm here can I ask whether you know if the IELTS must be done before the deadline and thus sent with the application? Cambridge deadline (given that I'd give it a chance) is close.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hihihihihi
American university campuses are freaking huge.

If only it wasn't such a mess to apply for those and if they didn't cost so much lol.
Original post by Adrono
If only it wasn't such a mess to apply for those and if they didn't cost so much lol.

Keele University has the Largest UK Campus, apparently theres a saying 'Keele Bubble' as everything is just there on campus and people hardly ever leave the campus :smile:

Its a very green and attractive looking university with a lot of wild life if thats your thing :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Audiology-Med
Keele University has the Largest UK Campus, apparently theres a saying 'Keele Bubble' as everything is just there on campus and people hardly ever leave the campus :smile:

Its a very green and attractive looking university with a lot of wild life if thats your thing :wink:

Yes I know Keele but thanks for the info :smile:. They have about 4000 beds, according to the Complete University Guide. Not all undergrads live there and it's not the best in the leagues but it sure does look like a nice place. What do you think of Nottingham uni? The campus looks quite big as well and they have double the number of beds available.

edit: ok lol but I just looked at the fact that Nottingham has way more undergrads so yeah doesn't matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
Wish me good luck in getting into Cambridge then haha. Yeah I saw they had lots of beds by the way but it's not a campus-university is it? I saw it was kinda spread around.

By the way since I'm here can I ask whether you know if the IELTS must be done before the deadline and thus sent with the application? Cambridge deadline (given that I'd give it a chance) is close.

Yeah it's kind of strange compared to other places - it's basically a campus university that happens to have a city running through it, different colleges have different feelings...

The language requirements are always part of your conditional offer - so you just have to do it by the August before you start university; you don't need to do it before you actually apply. Do read their requirements carefully! I know someone who missed an offer to read maths at Trinity College because he did a different language qualification that they didn't accept...
Original post by Adrono
Yes I know Keele but thanks for the info :smile:. They have about 4000 beds, according to the Complete University Guide. Not all undergrads live there and it's not the best in the leagues but it sure does look like a nice place. What do you think of Nottingham uni? The campus looks quite big as well and they have double the number of beds available.

edit: ok lol but I just looked at the fact that Nottingham has way more undergrads so yeah doesn't matter.

Well Cambridge a good place, it may not be a campus university but it doesnt need to be its just a nice place to live, so relaxed and kind of reminds me of begin very vintage, everyone just uses bikes to get around.

Plus the different colleges at Cambridge uni makes you feel like its a mini campus if you know what I mean.

My cusion just graduated from there this year :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah it's kind of strange compared to other places - it's basically a campus university that happens to have a city running through it, different colleges have different feelings...

The language requirements are always part of your conditional offer - so you just have to do it by the August before you start university; you don't need to do it before you actually apply. Do read their requirements carefully! I know someone who missed an offer to read maths at Trinity College because he did a different language qualification that they didn't accept...

Thanks I really appreciate your infos! And I have another doubt: if I'm applying for a law course the LNAT test must be submitted with the application, right?

Well Cambridge a good place, it may not be a campus university but it doesnt need to be its just a nice place to live, so relaxed and kind of reminds me of begin very vintage, everyone just uses bikes to get around.Plus the different colleges at Cambridge uni makes you feel like its a mini campus if you know what I mean.My cusion just graduated from there this year :smile:

Yeah it looks stunning. Congratulations to your cusin :smile:!
Original post by Adrono
Thanks I really appreciate your infos! And I have another doubt: if I'm applying for a law course the LNAT test must be submitted with the application, right?

Yeah it looks stunning. Congratulations to your cusin :smile:!

haha strangely enough she just graduated with a Law degree :smile:
Reply 14
haha strangely enough she just graduated with a Law degree :smile:

And what are her career prospects if I can ask? I can quite imagine.
Why do you need all those beds? this is why we need meninism
Nottingham is beautiful, other good campuses are Southampton, Bath, York, Loughborough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Meninism
Why do you need all those beds? this is why we need meninism

It's not like this is a feminist thread anyways :lol:. Wrong one.

No, Cambridge is a city with a university inside it. You seem to not understand the concept of a 'campus university' and the fact that the majority of the people who live and work in Cambridge are unconnected to the university.
Harts is very campus orientated well it has to be it's in the middle on no where check out Reading (beautiful campus shame about the rest or the town) or Southampton with Reading a bicycle would be a good investment it's massive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending